Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Spark plug wire clip question

Ronald

Corvette
66 Coupe
I just put new sparkplug wires on my 66 327. The previous wires were not stock and were divided with a place holder that was mounted to the valve covers. I now have the original little clips. Where do they bolt on to?:confused

According to my 63 AIM:

The little ones with the two holes to accept the wires go on the same bolts that hold the spark plug heat shields on for the 1-3 and 2-4 cylinders... the holder portion of the clip goes directly above the bolt. There are also clips to hold the two wires one above the other (#1 and #2 on the bottom) as they pass behind the exhaust manifold, to keep the wires from touching the manifolds... the AIM doesn't show that they are bolted/fastened on, but it would seem they ought to be... the open end of those clips is down; if there's a bolt hole in the clips (or an expandable post on them), look for bolt/clip holes in the side of block in the vicinity of the exhaust manifolds outlets, about 3 or so inches below the level of the spark plug holes. The AIM illustration makes it appear that the driver side clip may be positioned a bit rearward of the exhaust manifold outlet pipe, while the passenger side clip may be a bit forward.

There are also four larger holders/brackets holding all 4 wires. The smaller two of those are push-in holders for wires, while the larger brackets hold rubber insulators. For the smaller ones: the one with a tab sticking up beside the insulator goes on the driver side, bolted atop the block's collar for the bellhousing, right behind the center rear of the head; same for the other small bracket on the passenger side. The position of the wires in the small driver-side bracket is #5, #1, #3, #7 (engine side to outside); on the passenger side it is #4, #2, #6, #8 (engine side to outside). The two larger brackets attach to intake manifold bolts, with the same wire order in the rubber insulators. An additional rubber insulator is used alone (no holder bracket) a few inches out along the wires from the driver-side large bracket, to keep the wires separated.

You'll find all the clips/brackets/grommets and fasteners (there are lots of them) illustrated in Section 6 of your Assembly Manual, and all of the associated radio ignition shielding for the wires is shown in Section U69.

:beer

Thanks. I think my main problem starts with not having the chrome heat shield for the distributor. I think I'll buy that and work from there. I was surprised I was able to buy the wires from GM, and I just asked for the clips that went with it. Obviously they did not supply all the clips.

it's the bracketry that the chrome pieces secure to (with wing nut headed bolts) that have the slots for the plug wire seperator rubber thingies - strongly urge you to consult the AIM or the LIC catalog before you just go off and start buying a piece of chrome shielding here or there - you really need to study it (and the two brackets that bolt to the rear of the intake mani that the big piece of chrome top shielding botls too, as well as the two side brackets that attach to the bell housing to which the side pieces of shielding attach to - these also hold the plug wires), and yes it is a good idea to clip the plug wires where they designed it (esp underneath the plugs themselves - clips there too) to keep the wires off of the exhaust mani and header pipes . . .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom