Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 advantages over C5?

boulderlt4 said:
Get an '96 LT4. I've got one and I've smoked every stock C5 I've encountered, non Z06 that is! Not bad for an 8 year old car!

See!!! Now, go get that LT4 and start modding it to outrun Z06's. :cool

It has it's own vibrator when you take out the structrual glass roof. To all of those LT4's that are smoking the C5's, yeah, right, try one that is not in reverse.

Dad said:
It has it's own vibrator when you take out the structrual glass roof. To all of those LT4's that are smoking the C5's, yeah, right, try one that is not in reverse.
i aways wanted a ZR-1 but every time i drove one the steering wheel and cowl shake sent me away.

Dad said:

I’ve run 13.3 @ 107 with a full tank of gas, my LT4 is bone stock all but for a K&N. (I’m not a great driver either. :L) The C5’s I’ve seen at the local track that are stock have been pretty close to what I have run. Some have run better times, but it hasn’t been by much.

Not bashing C5’s in any shape or form, but this is what I have seen first hand. I think it all comes down to the individual driver extracting the most out of their car.

B17Crew
:w

Just like the old saying "even a bad day playing golf is better than a good day at work"... Any Corvette is a great Corvette! However, when comparing C4 and C5 cars, it's more than just C4/C5... If you go back to the early C4's eg. 84-89, you are looking at much lower performance than later model C4's with LT4 or "King of Beast ZR1" power. In the 90's the C4 performance grew exponentially. I had a C4 (1984). It was a great car. Liked the feel, the look, and it was very reliable. It was even fun to drive with the 4+3 Doug Nash tranny. I drove a 96 LT4 right before I bought my 99 vert (both 6 speeds). I liked the feel of the 99 much better, plus it was red! The feel I am talking about is "seat of the pants" feel of the power was about the same. I really felt like in those two cars the C5 was a little more responsive. The ride in the C5 was clearly better. The C5 also felt tighter on the rough roads.. Plus, I am one of those guys who seems to be in the minority that likes the "big butt" look of the C5. Plus, I like the trunk to put the golf clubs in. As far as ease of "working on the car".. I doubt that is much of an issue with most owners today.. The car is clearly capable of going 100K miles without a plug change. About the only maintenance that is required is oil/filter changes, serpentine belts about every 25K miles (they start to squeak), and air filters. The cars are reliable and require little maintenance even when driven by the most enthusiastic Corvette driver that still has a driver's license and can afford to pay the insurance.. By the way, insurance rates vary considerably, but a couple points: some insurance comanies won't even insure you with a Corvette. You also might find it cheaper to buy two cars: an old clunker and declare the Corvette an occasional use vehicle only and if you can garage it the rates are lower. The limit here is usually less than 5K to 10K miles driven per year. Whatever your choice, a man's life is not complete if he never owned a Corvette! ;)

A wee butt...

So I guess if you're a big butt type of guy, you go with the C5 and if you're the petite butt type of guy, you go with the C4? :L

So I guess if you're a big butt type of guy, you go with the C5 and if you're the petite butt type of guy, you go with the C4? :L
I guess that explains why I like 'em ALL!:D

KOPBET said:
Dang! I would think insurance for an 18 year old with a Vette would have to be $200-$400 a month!
I got my first vett with I was 21 (Now about the turn 23) and was $58 per month on my 87 and now $63 per month on my 95. That is with full coverage (to meet loan requirements ) from Allstate Ins.

Brett

One more reason for the C4.... You are young.... Enjoy the fun of a smaller tighter car now... Save all the comfortable natures of the later cars for when it's not fun to fall into a car and crawl out.

One more thought.....I'm not sure of your money situation, but you could find a nice 93-95 ZR1 for a little more money and save a ton of money on car insurance by going with a company like Grundy or Hagerty. They will give you an agreed value policy on the car with just a few stipulations. Those go as follows: The car must be garaged, and not your primary transportation to and from work or school. So you could have a very rare 405hp C4 vett with a little higher payment, much lower insurance, and buy a $1000 dollar car to drive back and forth to school.

Brett

LT4 is the way to go...........

I got it for you:

LT4

Power of a C5 with the style of a C4. The motor was underrated and good LT4 drivers can hang with any C5 anyday, sans the Z06.

I don't know what your friends drive but I would think that "old" LT4 would shut them up pretty fast. :L

The LT4 is quite wicked and definitely surprise a c5 drver and an occasional c6 doesnt leave it behind very quickly. Good luck in your search.

Wow, we are digging up some old threads! But I'll add here that in today's world the C4's are considerably cheaper to buy, although the C5's are coming down.

The LT4 is quite wicked and definitely surprise a c5 drver and an occasional c6 doesnt leave it behind very quickly. Good luck in your search.

WOW! This is an oldie (thread). :L

After multiple trips to the track and becoming familiar with my LT4, my best run to date was 13.2 @ 107 mph. This is a bone stock LT4 all but for a K&N air filter. Run with OEM Goodyear GS-C tires at 30 psi all the way around and 20 gallons of Sunoco 94 in the tank. My very first trip down the track with my ’96 was 14 something... cough :ugh embarrassed. Spun like crazy at the line.

Not to shabby for a 12 year old car.

B17Crew
:w

Hell, this guy is out of college by now and probably sold his first vett to pay for kids and shut the wife up!

C4

I have had a C1, C2, C3, and am now the proud owner of a Lt4 CE. I have not drove anything newer. I am sure they drive l alot smoother, and are also quick, but the older Corvettes are a blast to drive. It just like the old days. From the C1 solid axel, to the C4s is an improvement, I could have bought a C5 or newer, but I love the looks of the C4. Larry (73 years old)

My C4 is paid for (with cash on the barrel head) whereas if I purchased a C5/C6 it more than likely would not be. The C4 is also realtively cheaper to insure.

Plus, I love the clam shell, the interior feel and everything else everbody here said.

It's cheaper. That is it.

Also you're 18 or 19 and can afford a 94-96? I'm 20 and I could barely scrape together for an '84. :(

Yep, cheaper is about it.

C5s are better right out of the box and have much more performance potential

I'm new here but if I can jump in?

I own an 87. I love the feel, the aggressive look and the handling. Hard to get in and out of and i'm in and out of mine sometimes 20-30 times a day. By the end of the day, the quads feel like they've had a decent workout.

Once inside, I feel at one with the car. I tell people, once you're in, you're in and you're there for the duration!

Love the SOTP feel and cornering of the C4.

I've driven several C5's.

I like the aggressive look, sleek but angrily all business from just about any angle. Much easier to get in/out of. Easier to find aftermarket parts, and overall, much smoother for those long runs.

If I were going to buy something to cross country in, I'd go C5 hands down, although soon, I plan on doing some long haulin' in the 87.

If I were buying something with a lady in mind, I'd go C5 again for the hands down ease of entry and exit while maintaining a modicum of modesty::)

If it were a DD with one or 2 entries and exits a day...especially for a college kid, I'd probably go with the C4 and save some $$ for repairs/mods (or learn to do them yourself...you'll have to eventually).

Either way, C4 or C5, you can't really go wrong:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom