Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C4 electrical issue

strokin383-c4

Corvette
1986 Black Z-51 Coupe
Ive got a 1986 and recently starting having an issue, here is what it consists of. Tell me what you think my next plan of action should be.
1st my courtesy lamps stopped turning on when I opened my doors, but they did work when I turned the dimmer switch all the way up.
2nd my latch pop on my doors stopped working, but my center console one still works.
3rd my turn signal arrows would pulsate like "Morse code" and now they have completely stopped working.
4th my horn stopped working.
5th my VATS alarm obviously stopped as well due to the horn issue.

ok so Ive replaced all fuses and bulbs for lights. I also replaced the turn signal switch inside my steering column. What possibly could it be? Ive never had any electrical problems and everything else works. I know all this is connected to the same switch, is there a relay Ive missed? please help..

Ive got a 1986 and recently starting having an issue, here is what it consists of. Tell me what you think my next plan of action should be.
1st my courtesy lamps stopped turning on when I opened my doors, but they did work when I turned the dimmer switch all the way up.
2nd my latch pop on my doors stopped working, but my center console one still works.
3rd my turn signal arrows would pulsate like "Morse code" and now they have completely stopped working.
4th my horn stopped working.
5th my VATS alarm obviously stopped as well due to the horn issue.

ok so Ive replaced all fuses and bulbs for lights. I also replaced the turn signal switch inside my steering column. What possibly could it be? Ive never had any electrical problems and everything else works. I know all this is connected to the same switch, is there a relay Ive missed? please help..

The one thing that all these items have in common....<-----(-):chuckle

Clean tighten repair

Also apply same plan to fusable links on the post.

The one thing that all these items have in common....<-----(-):chuckle

Clean tighten repair

Also apply same plan to fusable links on the post.

what is that? I dont get what your saying? what do I need to do?

what is that? I dont get what your saying? what do I need to do?

Commons....Grounds.--->(-) opposed to (+)

find your grounds for all these things and/or the fusable link power source. see the fuse block also. loose fuses cause timers and relays to reset. Wires break out of fuse slots, melt out when they get hot.

Yes..horn relay behind center display...TS in the digital display AND a flasher near the horn relay.

Oh okay, thx, lol. I'm new to the electrical in this car. thx for the help! Ill let you know if the problem continues.

Oh okay, thx, lol. I'm new to the electrical in this car. thx for the help! Ill let you know if the problem continues.

Theres some stuff hidden in that area..some secret fuses for the self destruct, the chimes, flashers and E-flasher...and a couple other things...

The service manual for just electrical on mine is over 1/2" thick...thats elect only.

Theres some stuff hidden in that area..some secret fuses for the self destruct, the chimes, flashers and E-flasher...and a couple other things...

The service manual for just electrical on mine is over 1/2" thick...thats elect only.

lol. at least you have a sense of humor. this all started when I replaced the courtesy lamp unit in the passenger side door :(

I always liked GM electrical manuals, they generally have good troubleshooting charts, and usually list the physical locations of all components, including splices and connectors on the car. Saves a lot of time if you're trying to trace out a circuit and want to know where all the connectors are it passes thru.

lol. at least you have a sense of humor. this all started when I replaced the courtesy lamp unit in the passenger side door :(

Could be coincidence, could not. When something happens as a result of work peformed, always inspect the area very closely.

I put new plug wires on my car, a day later the car started missing. I thought oh great, mechanical issue. Turns out a weeks worth of trouble shooting ended up with finding a plug wire laying against the driver side header.

Electrical

Check the ground G201 this is the only ground common to all these items! It located underneath left side of the instrument panel near the left side of the steering colum.

The turn signal has a flasher located under the dash on the passenger side. You have to remove the panel on the bottom and hang upside down to get to it.

The courtesy lights has a circuit board that can fail.

You may have a grounding problem for the others.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom