Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Hardtops

T

turbobrick

Hi all,

Looking to buy a vert C4. I wanted to see if any one can hook me up with a parts breakdown for a 1988 Corvette Hardtop, all parts needed to bolt this down to the car. I not familiar with C4's at all. I wonder if this info is provided in an assembly manual? Please LMK if you can help.

Thanks so much,

Jim

There's a year breakdown (89?) where the cars before that don't have the right parts to mate up a later hardtop...but it's a rectifiable problem as the parts can be replaced.

If you can get the halo brackets with the top, you'll be MUCH farther ahead. Also, there's a deck-lid cover that cleans things up nicely.

I just managed to get mine after a 12 year search (they're plentiful on the coasts, not so much here in Denver), and it luckily came with the cover, both brackets, all ten bolts/washers, and the top.

If you think you'll want the hardtop (a must if you want to pass tech racing), you're MUCH further ahead buying a car that has the top. I still have to get something painted...either the top of the car. ;)

You might want to check with one of the salvage yards that specialize in Corvettes (like Vette2Vette). If they have a car with a hard top they should be able to sell you the top and all necessary hardware.

That's harder than you'd think, Hardtops are a (relatively) hot commodity. MY hardtop originally didn't come with the hardware (The woman couldn't find them and the husband wasn't available to point them out to her. I found them after looking through their garage myself. Kind of a sad story.)

But I did spend some time researching for brackets for a bit and they're not impossible to come by, but they're not cheap. $125-$150 for two silly stamped and painted pieces of steel.

That's harder than you'd think, Hardtops are a (relatively) hot commodity.

According to The Black Book only about 8,600 were ordered from the factory during the years they were offered, 1989 - 1996. That's less tha 20% of the convertibles built.

if you really want one, you can buy a fake one from smooth line. They just attach like the soft top, no brackets needed.

brackets and top can get expensive because people know the hardware is rare.

Plus do you know that you have to make mods to your car to make one fit?

89+ they came on and they fit any of those.

I think smooth line will fit.

if you really want one, you can buy a fake one from smooth line. They just attach like the soft top, no brackets needed.

brackets and top can get expensive because people know the hardware is rare.

Plus do you know that you have to make mods to your car to make one fit?

89+ they came on and they fit any of those.

I think smooth line will fit.

Actually, I think you'll find the smoothline is about twice the price. Plus, it won't pass tech due to not having any appreciable rollover protection. (NHRA classes the vert as a coupe with the factory top installed.)

Actually, I think you'll find the smoothline is about twice the price. Plus, it won't pass tech due to not having any appreciable rollover protection. (NHRA classes the vert as a coupe with the factory top installed.)

They are expensive new, but they weight a fraction of the stock and they take 2 minutes to remove with one person, the stock one is 90 lbs.

NO THANKS< and I have a6 point roll bar and still weights less, and stronger in roll over.

I bought a pristine top for 600 and a cover and fresh weather stripping.

YouTube - 1990 corvette pologreen saddle, black hardtop Grand Sport rims

my soft top can only stay in position or the other also with the bar, but I sold my coupe and bought a vert just for the hardtop, and different look.
I want to change the motor in this one or just get a viper.

Here's a scan of hardtop owners manual. It will give you an idea of whats used on installing a top on factory CC2 car.
Corvetteron on a different corvette forum used to have an early C4 vert and modified it IOT fit factory hardtop look him up he's a good guy will help you out

The factory hardtop is not very heavy/or awkward to handle. I remove my hardtop by myself however for installation I have my wife or one of my kids help IOT guide the pins into the decklid without scratching the decklid.

hardtop_instructions_1.jpg

hardtop_instructions_2.jpg

hardtop_instructions_a.jpg

hardtop_instructions_b.jpg

C4 Hardtop info

Hey guys I have a 1993 factory hardtop in excellent condition, it is teal in color. I acquired it from a friend that no9 longer had the car and he was moving and didnt want to deal with it. I have a general idea that i can get 1000 for it but are they bringing more. It has glass and defrost, thanks for your help

But I did spend some time researching for brackets for a bit and they're not impossible to come by, but they're not cheap. $125-$150 for two silly stamped and painted pieces of steel.

Its silly that someone with skills and tools doesnt just make them and sell them! They seem simple enough!

Its silly that someone with skills and tools doesnt just make them and sell them! They seem simple enough!
The demand is not large enough to make it a guaranteed money maker. Factory brackets are still out there but some folks don't want to pay the 150 bucks to buy one....or spend the extra money to buy a top that in good condition with all of the pieces.

I put a hardtop that I got from Vette2Vette on an 87 vert I used to own. You can fabricate the brackets that fit behind the doors and you can buy the other stuff to convert the front and rear mounting points from wrecking yards like Vette2Vette.
If you do contact them just have Jason or his wife Tobey put you in touch with me and I can tell you how to do this.
Many people who bought the convertibles with a hardtop just stored them away and never used them. It is a good look though!:drool:

I put a hardtop that I got from Vette2Vette on an 87 vert I used to own. You can fabricate the brackets that fit behind the doors and you can buy the other stuff to convert the front and rear mounting points from wrecking yards like Vette2Vette.
If you do contact them just have Jason or his wife Tobey put you in touch with me and I can tell you how to do this.
Many people who bought the convertibles with a hardtop just stored them away and never used them. It is a good look though!:drool:
Ron, good to see you here....I agree with you IMO best looking C4 is vert with hardtop....but then again I'm partial to C5 FRC look too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom