Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Headlights

Brian Smith

Corvette
1993 Viper Red Coupe
Having tired of the pitiful light emitted by my stock replacement headlights and having a good bit of rain last weekend I decided that I would search the Forum for what is recommended by members as effective replacements.

Several posting on several forums routed me to the Hella H6054B Rectangular E-Code hi/Lo conversion headlamp Kit. It was at Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories (Susquehanna Motor Sports) for $101.60 EACH! I found some on E-Bay or Amazon for the greatly discounted cost of $99 each. Whoopee!

I am a biomedical engineer and source (for a living) medical parts of all sorts. There are a great many different kinds of lamps used in today's hospitals so I called my light bulb vendor and emailed her the datasheet seen for pricing from the Susquehanna Motor Sports website and asked her to find them for less if she would. We spoke this AM and she said that she found them for $19.95 each! I wanted to be sure they weren't just the glass envelope but did include halogen lamps. She said they did and I ordered them and they should be here early next week.

I told her that if these were what I was expecting I would give all y'all her name and number and she would make many members of the C4 owners world happy. She said that she would be glad to supply as many as we needed. Will advise how this goes once I get them in and installed.

If you find they are good I will be all over that. I installed a set of sylvania headlights a couple yrs ago. Big improvement over the stock but still not what I want.
I will be watching. thank you

Glenn
:w

Thats a great price. one question I have is that I was told that we should use plastic headlights to prolong the life of the bushings in the headlight motors. so question being are these plastic(probably not) and if not are they any lighter weight wise than standard glass bulbs?

Thats a great price. one question I have is that I was told that we should use plastic headlights to prolong the life of the bushings in the headlight motors. so question being are these plastic(probably not) and if not are they any lighter weight wise than standard glass bulbs?

I agree! I heard that the glass is a lot heavier so the motors/gears dont last? Word on the street at least!

I just put a set of Sylvania Silverlight Performance lights in my C4.They do light up the road at about $25.00 each from Advance Auto Parts. Be certain they are the PERFORMANCE model. I am 68, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one, live in the country where deer cross the road at night. I can see the deer and the road on the darkest night now. I just rebuilt with bronze gears so the should be no problems with lights going up and down with the heavier lights.

I just put a set of Sylvania Silverlight Performance lights in my C4.They do light up the road at about $25.00 each from Advance Auto Parts. Be certain they are the PERFORMANCE model. I am 68, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one, live in the country where deer cross the road at night. I can see the deer and the road on the darkest night now. I just rebuilt with bronze gears so the should be no problems with lights going up and down with the heavier lights.
i Blackvette, It's not the gears that go it's the bushes. Roger.

I have 2 sets of Bushings in my parts box. Replacing them evry 5 years or so is a good trade off for being able to see at night. At age 68 I may have to replace them once, then my heirs can handle it.
Mike

I have 2 sets of Bushings in my parts box. Replacing them evry 5 years or so is a good trade off for being able to see at night. At age 68 I may have to replace them once, then my heirs can handle it.
Mike
Hi Blackvette, Good thinking but figure on 3 or more. You wont want to stop driving the Vette just because you're a bit older. Roger.

i Blackvette, It's not the gears that go it's the bushes. Roger.

If I remember, the earlier C4 years 84-87 or 88 had nylon gears so they may need replacing as well. I replaced the bushings in mine last year.

Thanks for posting about the headlight replacements, Brian, I was thinking about that, but since I don't drive it much at night it hasn't been a concern.

If I remember, the earlier C4 years 84-87 or 88 had nylon gears so they may need replacing as well. I replaced the bushings in mine last year.

Thanks for posting about the headlight replacements, Brian, I was thinking about that, but since I don't drive it much at night it hasn't been a concern.
The early years had metal gears only, my 88 has nylon but it's the bushes that go. Roger.

Hella Headlights

I replaced the original lights in my car about 5 years ago with the Hella lights. As I remember it the Hella's were lighter than the original units. Probable as stated they are heavier than the plastic but I have not had any problems with the operation of the headlight motor.

The greatest benefit of the Hella lights is the way the prisms direct the light down the road.

At some point and time I want to upgrade the bulbs to sylvania's or some other way higher wattage bulb. I am tired of not being able to blind the drivers of the newer cars with the eyeball burning low beams:boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom