Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Seat Belt Recall

I've had my local Chevy dealership replace the seat belts on both my 1988 and 1989 vettes via this recall. From my two samples the replacement belts work better, with no hint of the prior lock up issue. The purpose of my post was to inform members that GM was running out of colors, and they were only obligated to replace the part, not color match it. Safety recalls don't expire.

The buckle side has matching gray covers with a blue belt underneath on the drivers side. Didn't look on passanger side.

I recently had mine apart to install an additional lap belt so I could add a child seat easily (I installed a tether as per GM's Tech Bulletin too--its an 84 so no airbag before someone points that out).
Anyway, My inner seat belt with the grey cover hiding its true color was...............BROWN!!!
Good old parts bin construction! ;LOL

I recently had mine apart to install an additional lap belt so I could add a child seat easily (I installed a tether as per GM's Tech Bulletin too--its an 84 so no airbag before someone points that out).
Anyway, My inner seat belt with the grey cover hiding its true color was...............BROWN!!!
Good old parts bin construction! ;LOL

Was that color mismatch from the factory? My belts are black on my 89. And I noticed the inner belt by the tranny was red. But was black on the passenger side.

On my 1988 and 1989 the belts from factory all came with the right color, including those that get covered. For my 1988 they were able to get all the right colors. Dealer had commented that I received the last complete gray set. For my 1989, one of the covered belts is blue, and the driver side is a lighter gray vs. the passanger side which has the stock color. You would think they would just make black belts now and be done with it.

On my 1988 and 1989 the belts from factory all came with the right color, including those that get covered. For my 1988 they were able to get all the right colors. Dealer had commented that I received the last complete gray set. For my 1989, one of the covered belts is blue, and the driver side is a lighter gray vs. the passanger side which has the stock color. You would think they would just make black belts now and be done with it.

When they replace the belts on recall. Do they just replace the belts at the door sill? Or also replace the belt latching part by the tranny tunnel?

joshwilson3, Both. The belt latch side that attaches to the center tranny tunnel has a cover over the belt that is color coded. It is the belt under that cover that could end up being an odd color. You only see the difference if you look under the cover. So they replace the complete set. Two on each side, along with new covers as part of this recall. Ordering the parts was a royal pain for the parts department. Ordering instructions looked like a book when they printed it off.

joshwilson3, Both. The belt latch side that attaches to the center tranny tunnel has a cover over the belt that is color coded. It is the belt under that cover that could end up being an odd color. You only see the difference if you look under the cover. So they replace the complete set. Two on each side, along with new covers as part of this recall. Ordering the parts was a royal pain for the parts department. Ordering instructions looked like a book when they printed it off.

Ok, I guess that explains why the driver side is red then.

Oh, and the reason I believe the colors are mismatched at the belt part by the tranny tunnel. Is that they quit making these belts a long while back. They are all out of black. My dealer was some how able to find me a black set from another dealer I believe. If not, then I would have had to get the grey and get them dyed black.

Was that color mismatch from the factory? My belts are black on my 89. And I noticed the inner belt by the tranny was red. But was black on the passenger side.

Yup they ARE original to 1983...they used what they had extra....pretty smart cost wise. I recall when I replaced the carpet years ago that the tranny belt on driver's side was I think blue. What was kinda cool was that under the carpet on passenger footwell the date was labeled and I found an 83 penny too! Coincidence? Maybe, but It was so burried someone on the line must have put it in.

My dealer was some how able to find me a black set from another dealer I believe. If not, then I would have had to get the grey and get them dyed black.
I'm surprised since the only color Eckler's,Mid America, etc used to have WAS black. Go figure!

Yup they ARE original to 1983...they used what they had extra....pretty smart cost wise. I recall when I replaced the carpet years ago that the tranny belt on driver's side was I think blue. What was kinda cool was that under the carpet on passenger footwell the date was labeled and I found an 83 penny too! Coincidence? Maybe, but It was so burried someone on the line must have put it in.

I'm surprised since the only color Eckler's,Mid America, etc used to have WAS black. Go figure!

I think they should have just made all the inner belts by the tranny to be black. Though, you won't see it anyways unless you move the seat up and look.

Are you sure Ecklers, etc. sell the 84-96 seat belts that go by the door? I've never seen those for sale aftermarket.

FYI,
Not apart of the recall, however my '93 has red belts under the covers at the tranny tunnel! All original, so even when on the assembly line any belt color could be used on the inboard belts. This is also the case with, my wife's '93. Both interiors are black.

tcxd40

Are you sure Ecklers, etc. sell the 84-96 seat belts that go by the door? I've never seen those for sale aftermarket.
I'm not sure if they do carry the outers with roller NOW but they definitely DID a few years ago. After my passenger belt got jammed I asked my GM parts guy if he could get the medium grey and he couldnt. He could get the black OEM but being curious I checked for the medium grey in aftermarket catalogs and one of those catalogs had them ...and cheaper no less...but only in black too. I know they would have been free from GM but I simply didnt want the black. I actually just took the belt assembly out when replacing carpet, cleaned it up and its worked since.
I like ted's color since its so similar.... but until mine fail completely I'll just keep 'em since they work well consistantly now.:w

I'm not sure if they do carry the outers with roller NOW but they definitely DID a few years ago. After my passenger belt got jammed I asked my GM parts guy if he could get the medium grey and he couldnt. He could get the black OEM but being curious I checked for the medium grey in aftermarket catalogs and one of those catalogs had them ...and cheaper no less...but only in black too. I know they would have been free from GM but I simply didnt want the black. I actually just took the belt assembly out when replacing carpet, cleaned it up and its worked since.
I like ted's color since its so similar.... but until mine fail completely I'll just keep 'em since they work well consistantly now.:w

My guess is Ecklers would have been getting them from the same place as GM. Probably the same thing I'd bet. They are discontinued, so that my be why Ecklers don't carry them.

Funny is a few years ago, the dealer was telling me they couldn't get black. Only gray or red. But after a few weeks, he told me they were able to find a pair from another dealer, and replaced both. I'm not sure if they replaced the inner belts as the defective part was the belt by the door.

The dealer told me on my 91 that was withing the VIN number range that if the belt is not sticking there is nothing to do as not every one is defective..

The dealer told me on my 91 that was withing the VIN number range that if the belt is not sticking there is nothing to do as not every one is defective..

They have to be locking up for them to replace them. You just have to hope that they lock up when you take it up to the dealer while they are looking at it.

I think they replace both if just one locks up.

I still never read anywhere what the exact problem is with the belts. Was it a manufacturing defect on some of them, design defect that happens with time, or just luck if they don't fail?

Hi all, On mine, sometimes the belt locks as I'm putting it on and remains slack. I took it to Power Chevrolet in LA with copies of the bulletin and part and vin numbers. They refused to accept the proof,so I left. It's now locking up more frequently, so I'll be looking to another dealer for service. Roger.

Hi all, On mine, sometimes the belt locks as I'm putting it on and remains slack. I took it to Power Chevrolet in LA with copies of the bulletin and part and vin numbers. They refused to accept the proof,so I left. It's now locking up more frequently, so I'll be looking to another dealer for service. Roger.

Yeah, go to another dealer. If you still have problems, complain to GM. I don't really understand why the dealers turn people away like that. It is a safety issue. And I believe the dealers get paid for the work. I guess they just feel it isn't worth fooling with.

Dont bother complaining to GM...just go str8 to the NHTSB. Back in 1999 our 98 Sunfire had a headlight switch recall that Pontiac wasnt honoring. They claimed they couldnt even get the part...and the headlights didnt switch on unless you wiggled the switch and got lucky.
We filed a complaint online and got a NHTSB case manager who got us the part. Of course GM only had to replace it free ONCE. They claimed later units werent affected but its definitely a design defect since we've had at least 3 switches over the years...I can now change them in 15 minutes when GM manual says it takes 2 hours. :thumb

I have an 86 and was told GM didn't have records that far back to check if the belts were replaced or not. I mentioned I have a friend who is an attorney ( I really don't ) and will have him take names and kick ass if I get hurt in accident because they didn't do the replacement, they changed their mind and replaced them. When it is a safety recall they must have proof it was done, and safety recall has no experation date, even if it's 30-40 years. If they don't want to do it, just start asking for names and positions of employees you contacted, ask for owners names, etc, and TELL THEM you are giving info to a lawyer in case anything happens to you. Be calm and polite. It works.

I have an 86 and was told GM didn't have records that far back to check if the belts were replaced or not. I mentioned I have a friend who is an attorney ( I really don't ) and will have him take names and kick ass if I get hurt in accident because they didn't do the replacement, they changed their mind and replaced them. When it is a safety recall they must have proof it was done, and safety recall has no experation date, even if it's 30-40 years. If they don't want to do it, just start asking for names and positions of employees you contacted, ask for owners names, etc, and TELL THEM you are giving info to a lawyer in case anything happens to you. Be calm and polite. It works.

Yeah, fvck the dealer. I've had nothing but problems with the dealer at their mechanic shop, and their body shop.

The funny thing is getting the seat belts replaced went very smooth. They even found me black belts that they previously said were discontinued.

The parts department tends to do me pretty good. But I wish they would sell me parts below list price like every other retailer does. Sometimes I go and get a price on something, and laugh at them and tell them I can get the same AC Delco part for $100+ less somewhere else. From my experience, the Dealer charges you at least double for the same parts you can get elsewhere like from the thepartsladi on ebay or other AC Delco parts seller.

GM has purged older service records. When I purchased my 1988, I had no issues getting all of the service records. On my 1989 purchased three years ago, nada. However, this is a safety recall. Call GM customer service and explain the situation. Customer service will contact the dealer and provide instructions on how they can access ALL safety recalls. My dealer had issues at first finding the recall infomation. This recall is belt lockup, and the recall doc has steps to test for it. I guess some service shops might say they work just fine, but I did not run into this on either vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom