Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Seat Belt Recall

Seat Belts

Sorry to hijack this thread.

So an update on the seatbelts. Dealer #2 found one possible seatbelt retractor for the passenger side. None of you seemed to have this much problem finding the parts, and I told hime that. He said if I can find a dealer with the parts he will have them shipped up. So any recommendations for places that may actually be able to find these parts? Should I call the 1-800 number above and just ask them? When it comes to the seatbelts, no one seems to argue that they are under recall, they just say they can't find the parts.

When I got the car back from dealer#1, I thought I would open up the seatbelt and see if I could do anything. Afterall the dealer made it sound so easy to get to. You have to remove the seat to get to the seatbelt, and I can tell those bolts haven't been turned in years.:mad They made me leave the car there because they said they had to open it up to get numbers off it. I knew they could probably just look up the numbers, but I thought they may open it and take a look anyway.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

So an update on the seatbelts. Dealer #2 found one possible seatbelt retractor for the passenger side. None of you seemed to have this much problem finding the parts, and I told hime that. He said if I can find a dealer with the parts he will have them shipped up. So any recommendations for places that may actually be able to find these parts? Should I call the 1-800 number above and just ask them? When it comes to the seatbelts, no one seems to argue that they are under recall, they just say they can't find the parts.

When I got the car back from dealer#1, I thought I would open up the seatbelt and see if I could do anything. Afterall the dealer made it sound so easy to get to. You have to remove the seat to get to the seatbelt, and I can tell those bolts haven't been turned in years.:mad They made me leave the car there because they said they had to open it up to get numbers off it. I knew they could probably just look up the numbers, but I thought they may open it and take a look anyway.

The dealer should be able to look up the part numbers on their computer. Then it should say what other dealers have that item and the quantity.

At least, that is the way it worked when the dealer looked up a part I needed that they didn't have in stock. They would look up what other dealers had the part.

But it could be something where a dealer may have the part, but it isn't in the computer that they have it. So, it may come down to calling each individual dealer. But I figured they'd know what place to order it from? But I'm guessing they are saying you can't get it from the manufacturer anymore, and have to find a dealer who so happens to have one in stock?

I say you will be lucky to find a dealer who has the belts in stock, as I'm sure that isn't something a dealer would normally order to keep on hand.

I could be wrong. But I seem to remember something about when there is a recall and GM or whoever is supposed to replace a part. I believe they are supposed to keep so many on hand to be able to service all affected vehicles under the recall. I could be wrong on that though.

Hi all, OK, I called Chevrolet and told them of the problem I had had with the dealer. They looked up my file invited me to choose another, contacted them, phoned back to me with sevice managers name and the assurance that the belts would be replaced. That's the easy part..... Rear tie rod assembly.... Not showing under MY vin. Perhaps indicating the work had been carried out for the original owner (don't know who that is) . I guess I'll see if the dealer can take a look, I doubt a problem would be identifiable with a cursory inspection though. Does anyone know more about this ? Roger.

A phone call to the NTSB resulted in the following...
Question: Does a recall have an expiration date?
Answer, No. However, the manufacturer is not "required" to make the repair.

Yet another INEPT Govt worker! Its a Safety recall and it NEVER expires! Call back and Get the RIGHT person!

ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

"..................However, even if you do not receive a notification, if your vehicle, child restraint, or other item of equipment is involved in a safety recall, the manufacturer is obligated to provide a free remedy................

Remedy without charge means the repair, replacement, or repurchase of the vehicle or item of equipment that will correct the safety defect or noncompliance...........

All other safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product....

The Safety Act does not provide for reimbursement for damages that the defect or noncompliance may have caused, nor for reimbursement for costs incurred in correcting the problem before the manufacturer declared a safety recall. However, owners may be able to recover such expenses privately. Historically, most manufacturers will reimburse owners for the costs of repair incurred before the safety recall, if the owner has kept the receipts for service.......

Contacting NHTSA is easy. You can write us, call us toll-free, or connect with us over the Internet. Our address and toll-free telephone number are provided in every recall notification letter. You can write to us at: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, West Building, Washington, D.C. 20590. Our toll-free telephone number is (888)DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236). To contact us over the Internet, simply go to our interactive web site at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and complete the questionnaire.

"

Recall.

Hi all, OK, I called Chevrolet and told them of the problem I had had with the dealer. They looked up my file invited me to choose another, contacted them, phoned back to me with sevice managers name and the assurance that the belts would be replaced. That's the easy part..... Rear tie rod assembly.... Not showing under MY vin. Perhaps indicating the work had been carried out for the original owner (don't know who that is) . I guess I'll see if the dealer can take a look, I doubt a problem would be identifiable with a cursory inspection though. Does anyone know more about this ? Roger.
I went to Santa Monica Chevrolet a couple of weeks ago. The service manager remembered me and did the paper work. The mechanic looked at the rear end and confirmed that the tie rod had been replaced. I spoke to the manager yesterday, will take her in on Monday,they need 2 hours. All sounded great until he said. "You did say you didn't mind what colour they are didn't you" ? "Yes" I replied "Good". He said. "Because one is black and the other is RED" ! I saw the funny side of this. Now I just need to decide who gets the red one. Roger.

Took her in today, collected 3 hours later. No charge, other colour turns out to be brown, no problem for me. One satisfied customer. Roger.

Is this what I need?

I don't suppose this is part of the seatbelt that needs to be replaced is it?
Corvette Seat Belt Retractor, Clip-On, 1958-1996
If not, what is the above item?

I need to call someone besides a dealer. None of them have been able to find replacement seatbelts for me. But if it really is a $10 part, I will just do the work myself.

I need to call someone besides a dealer. None of them have been able to find replacement seatbelts for me. But if it really is a $10 part, I will just do the work myself.

I doubt it. You can open your belts up to make sure they are dust free. As sometimes the belts can get coins or lint inside them that would cause them to lock up. I don't know what the problem is with the belts locking up. Would be nice if someone figured it out and how to repair them.

The one thing I never figured out is why only certain years have a recall. I'm guessing they redesigned the later belts or they had a defective part for the years of the recall.

Checked with local Chevy dealer yesterday on my 1986 vert and was told not in the recall. Bad news since neither belt will activate/lock when pulled on. Having a hard time finding replacement belts. ;shrug

No, the entire seat belt assembly needs to be changed on BOTH sides. Get in touch with Corvette Chevrolet, quote your year, VIN and Chevrolet dealer ask them to contact the dealer and get back to you. Roger.

C4 seat belts

I have one of these(driver's side,vert)brand new in box. Just listed it for sale or trade in c4 parts 4 sale. It is the gray/silver and i need red. You're right about the gm inventory being depleted. They have very few left. The old units do have to be returned.

I used to work for gm. The reason parts differ is because different vendors are used, just to meet production demands. The hard part for the car manufacturer is keeping up with the different vendors for recall and defect problems.

I used to work for gm. The reason parts differ is because different vendors are used, just to meet production demands. The hard part for the car manufacturer is keeping up with the different vendors for recall and defect problems.

What I don't get with regards to recalls. Is how does the manufacturer know exactly which cars got the bad parts installed? They have it right down to the VIN number.

I figured alot of that was them just grabbing parts out of a box. I just don't see how they know this car got the bad part, but the next car right after it didn't.

It's the VIN. All finish process vettes assembled at Bowling Green Assembly have complete doccumentation of the build process with the date,time,standard and optional equiptment,dealer destination,all the department inspectors buy-offs(body shop,paint, trim,chassis and final process)on hard copy and electronic files, so that if there is ever any need for referrence to a particular vehicle, the full info is available. If you ever want it, you can order a copy of the build sheet or a duplicate of the window sticker for your c4,5,6, and all future models. Just log on to the web site for the National Corvette Museum and you can see what all is available.

OK. Vettes affected are 1988 vin from J5100001 through J5122789.....1989 from............ K5126328 through K5126328. I make that 22789 and 26328 vehicles respectively. Phone Chevrolet, give them your VIN and the name of your dealer you wish them to contact and sit back. Roger.

You can also do as I did. Go to the first thread on this blog and click on the URL for recalls. After you inpu your request, download ana print the pages, take them to your dealer. He can then varify your qualifacation and check Chevrolet parts inventory for the U.S., order your belts, and hopefully(not likely)they can locate the color you need.

It's the VIN. All finish process vettes assembled at Bowling Green Assembly have complete doccumentation of the build process with the date,time,standard and optional equiptment,dealer destination,all the department inspectors buy-offs(body shop,paint, trim,chassis and final process)on hard copy and electronic files, so that if there is ever any need for referrence to a particular vehicle, the full info is available. If you ever want it, you can order a copy of the build sheet or a duplicate of the window sticker for your c4,5,6, and all future models. Just log on to the web site for the National Corvette Museum and you can see what all is available.

Nah, what I'm saying is I don't see how GM knows which VIN's got the bad parts and which VIN's got the good parts. If you've got a box full of seat belts a worker is grabbing and throwing on cars. But I say one could know the cut off point if GM grabbed all the belts off the line. And put new defect free belts for the workers to start putting on. But I say it would be hard to know which VIN the first bad belt got put on.

OK. Vettes affected are 1988 vin from J5100001 through J5122789.....1989 from............ K5126328 through K5126328. I make that 22789 and 26328 vehicles respectively. Phone Chevrolet, give them your VIN and the name of your dealer you wish them to contact and sit back. Roger.

I wonder what would happen if the recall new belts you got started locking up? I've got new belts and haven't really had a problem. But a couple of times they locked when I tried to pull the belt out.

I'm guessing the problem with the affect belts is a screw up by the maker? Then they corrected the problem for the remainder of the run?

When a problem is identified by GM the batch from the manufacturer containing the fault is ordered recalled. My VIN. J5102890 fell neatly 2890 into that. The first dealer I went to wanted to check the belts before ordering replacements, that was not acceptable as the fault was intermittent but worsening. The second dealer had no problem in just ordering after speaking with GM. More worrying was the other recall concerning the "FATIGUE FRACTURE OF INBOARD JOINT THREADED PORTION OF STUD" on the rear tie bar. GM were unable to determine Whether or not my car had been put right. The mechanic knew of the problem and confirmed mine had been replaced. Roger.

I saw some NOS seatbelt assemblies on Ebay recently! Colors did vary so good luck! BTW, I'm not selling them:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom