Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 Seat Belt Recall

Why would you buy them when they are on recall ? Incidently GM didn't blame the floor mat for the problem ! Roger.....:w

Why would tou buy them when thet are on recall ? Incidently GM didn't blame the floor mat for the problem. Roger.

When they have a lifetime recall on something like this. Isn't the company supposed to set aside X amount of replacement parts to be able to cover all affected vehicles? I just don't see how GM could let the belts run out when they are on recall.

But I'm sure if they did run out of belts, and someone kept pushing it to get their belts replaced via the government. Then they'd have to get another run of belts made.

There was NO problem getting the belts from GM. It's just that you cannot specify a colour. I think GM are to be applauded in this instance. Roger.

Why would tou buy them when thet are on recall ? Incidently GM didn't blame the floor mat for the problem ! Roger.

I would buy them because I can't get any free ones, and I kind of need them. Every dealer I have been to tells me the same thing, "These parts are discontinued and our computers say that there are no other dealers with seatbelts for your car."

I am thinking of buying replacements from a 3rd party online. I am also just considering upgrading to racing seatbelts, but I am not sure I want to change out the seat.

If I buy third part belts, then I get to keep my old ones. Then I can try and figure out what is wrong with them.

There was NO problem getting the belts from GM. It's just that you cannot specify a colour. I think GM are to be applauded in this instance. Roger.

I think your color match is good too....and I'm sure anyone CAN get them FREE from GM by talking to the right people...like you did!
Some might be picky on the exact color or if the word "cinch" is white or orange (I'd change that color easily myself too...some wont oddly enough as simple as that is!).

As for GM putting parts aside....they certainly did for a period of time...but think about the logistics and expense involved. They made X number of belts and after 20+ years people still hadnt used them with the recall. Odds are most of those cars under recall were junked or the belts worked OK. The parts are sitting somewhere and a paying customer wants a new set...I'd sell 'em too!

Now 25 years later people whose belts did work OK for years want new ones because theirs are dirty and dingy? ;shrug

The aftermarket will make them eventually anyway. GM can get them from there eventually if need be....:w

I think your color match is good too....and I'm sure anyone CAN get them FREE from GM by talking to the right people...like you did!
Some might be picky on the exact color or if the word "cinch" is white or orange (I'd change that color easily myself too...some wont oddly enough as simple as that is!).

As for GM putting parts aside....they certainly did for a period of time...but think about the logistics and expense involved. They made X number of belts and after 20+ years people still hadnt used them with the recall. Odds are most of those cars under recall were junked or the belts worked OK. The parts are sitting somewhere and a paying customer wants a new set...I'd sell 'em too!

Now 25 years later people whose belts did work OK for years want new ones because theirs are dirty and dingy? ;shrug

The aftermarket will make them eventually anyway. GM can get them from there eventually if need be....:w

No, the reason people want new belts is because the belts have a defect to where you can't use them. Not cause they are dirty, but because there is a design flaw to where they hardly work anymore. I'd much rather the factory belts worked fine without having the need to get new ones put on.

I got my belts replaced for free a few years ago under the recall, I got black belts which is what is on the car. But a few times the new belts have hung trying to get them out. But it is no where near what it was as then it was almost every time. The old belts would also cinch up on me as I drove, very annoying.

What other vehicle has had a problem to where you can't even use your seat belts? I've never heard of it.

And not anyone can get them for free. Only a few years are specified in the recall. So if you have say a 93, and your belts won't pull out cause they are hung up. You will have to replace them yourself.

One thing you have to keep in mind is years ago, lots of people didn't wear their seat belts. So if the PO never wore the belts, then there would be no need for him to get new belts since they never use them.

I doubt the aftermarket will be making C4 belts anytime soon. The last C4 rolled off the line in 96, and there has yet to be any aftermarket make seatbelts for the C4.

I do think though GM doesn't have to match color. At least that is what I've always heard. Just as long as they replace the belts.

The only reason GM is doing it is because they are required to by law. I would be willing to bet if there was no law, GM would tell you to FO.

The only reason GM is doing it is because they are required to by law. I would be willing to bet if there was no law, GM would tell you to FO.
I'm sure you're right and so would I after 22 years ! A certain Japanese company has been saying the same to millions of new car owners, or so I'm lead to believe. I only learned of this recall with the origination of this thread. My problem was that the belt remained slack, it seems others encountered different failures, how this could have slipped through in the first case baffles me. Roger....;shrug..:w

Slack seat belt

I'm sure you're right and so would I after 22 years ! A certain Japanese company has been saying the same to millions of new car owners, or so I'm lead to believe. I only learned of this recall with the origination of this thread. My problem was that the belt remained slack, it seems others encountered different failures, how this could have slipped through in the first case baffles me. Roger....;shrug..:w

I bought my '88 Vette here in the UK in 1999, and the driver's belt has always had the occasional 'going slack' (i.e. not retracting properly) tendency. I kept wanting to get a replacement, but it was never available in the right colour (Flame Red), until I got a 'new C4 products' e-mail from Eckler's this March which featured it. So, I ordered it and it arrived a week ago. And now I find out about the recall! I know my VIN is in the range, but I wonder if this fault is covered and if so will GM cover the cost. Did you find out any more? Richard

I bought my '88 Vette here in the UK in 1999, and the driver's belt has always had the occasional 'going slack' (i.e. not retracting properly) tendency. I kept wanting to get a replacement, but it was never available in the right colour (Flame Red), until I got a 'new C4 products' e-mail from Eckler's this March which featured it. So, I ordered it and it arrived a week ago. And now I find out about the recall! I know my VIN is in the range, but I wonder if this fault is covered and if so will GM cover the cost. Did you find out any more? Richard
Hi Richard, I'm from Purley,Surrey. Now Southern California.Where are you ? This subject thread started on 18th March, last year, so you've caught on a little late. As I said before Chevrolet will replace the belt(s) but only through a dealer and you cannot specify colour, mine are now 1 black 1 brown. it bothers me not. I would write to them with a copy invoice and see if they'll help, as you're "over there". Incidently,mine had the same problem........Roger.

Thanks Roger - that gives me some hope at least. I'll see how far I get. I'm in Harpenden, Herts BTW.

Recall is still in effect

I called one dealer and they checked my VIN and said they didn't show the recall and they couldn't help me. I called another dealer and explained the whole issue and told them about this forum and said it should be on there. He asked me to hold on a min. He came back and said ok just bring it in and let us check it out and get the parts ordered. I just took my C4 to the dealer Yesterday and they checked it out and said the only stipulation was were the car was assembled, if it was Boling Green, KY or not. I told them it has the plant tag under the hood, but they checked the VIN anyways. After a few min. he said ok the parts are ordered, will let you know when to come back in. He said they were only going to change the belt that was locked, that if the other one locks up they will replace it too. The color ordered was Medium Gray. My belts are black but the sun has faded them to almost Medium Gray, LOL. :)

I will let you know how it goes when they come in.

I called one dealer and they checked my VIN and said they didn't show the recall and they couldn't help me. I called another dealer and explained the whole issue and told them about this forum and said it should be on there. He asked me to hold on a min. He came back and said ok just bring it in and let us check it out and get the parts ordered. I just took my C4 to the dealer Yesterday and they checked it out and said the only stipulation was were the car was assembled, if it was Boling Green, KY or not. I told them it has the plant tag under the hood, but they checked the VIN anyways. After a few min. he said ok the parts are ordered, will let you know when to come back in. He said they were only going to change the belt that was locked, that if the other one locks up they will replace it too. The color ordered was Medium Gray. My belts are black but the sun has faded them to almost Medium Gray, LOL. :)

Anyone else know where an 84 corvette would be manufactured other than Bowling Green KY?? :)

I believe they are supposed to replace both belts.

I told the guy I thought the only plant they were built at was KY. And I also looked at him strange when he said they would only fix one, but I think the other one might just happen to mess up here pretty soon. haha

I was told by several places (including this thread I think) that they only have to replace the malfunctioning one.

That aside... hey jordanr, can I have the phone number of the dealer you used. None of the dealers around me can find the parts, and I am told by dealers and part stores alike that they are discontinued and that I will never be able to find the belts.

I was told by several places (including this thread I think) that they only have to replace the malfunctioning one.

That aside... hey jordanr, can I have the phone number of the dealer you used. None of the dealers around me can find the parts, and I am told by dealers and part stores alike that they are discontinued and that I will never be able to find the belts.

If you look around. You can find a giant pdf file that gives instructions on exactly what the recall is and how the dealer is supposed to respond when a defect car is brought in.

Yea, they said the only plant that still had them was in Massachusetts or Michigan or somewhere. I'll ask when I go back to get it installed. The dealer I am using is John Megel Chevrolet - Dawsonville, GA. Their number is (866) 856-3087 for Service and Parts, I spoke with Dustin the whole time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom