Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! C4 Sound System - help me spend my money!

1991-C4

Corvette
1991 C4
Let me start of by saying that I have three horrible children and eight beautiful grandchildren, (and of course my lovely bride) so I have no shortage of people in my life who are more than willing to advise me on how to spend my money! It is pretty rare for me actually to ask someone else how to spend it, but here goes...

I have a 1991 C4 Coupe with the original Bose AM/FM/CD/Cassette system. For about 2 years, the output from all of the speakers has been very low and raspy so I am assuming its time to get out the butter and jelly because the amps are toast!

Sure, I could go ahead and replace the speakers/amps with OEM replacements, but there is the old saying, "If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly!" I can't tell you the last time I actually listened to a cassette and I honestly can't even tell you the last time I played an audio CD. Since most of my listening is now from an iPod, I thought about gutting the ol' Delco system and starting over from scratch.

Remember, I am not an endless source of money (no matter what my kids think!), so I would like to spend $500-600 on a new HU that included an HD receiver built-in along with a USB connection and maybe even an SD memory card reader. I don't need speakers that will get me arrested for disturbing the peace, but after years of Grateful Dead concerts in my youth, my hearing isn't what it used to be so I would like something with some oomph!

me.jpg
jerry3.jpg

(Some people say I even look like the late Jerry Garcia, but frankly, I don't see it. I am the one on the left.)

I plan on doing the install myself, so what do you guys suggest?

Dr Don's, best place to get your system restored.

DOCTORDONS.COM

As far as aftermarket, if you are good w/wiring then it comes down to design and light coloring.
JVC, Pioneer, etc... are all good, but most of their units charge extra for ipod connection.
Do your own research, there is litterly hundreds of units w/ipod.
Dual and another company sell a system which you can place your ipod into a tray.
Hope this helps.

BTW: The Dual unit is available from your local Walmart, also check Best Buy and local audio shop for good idea's.

I bought a Kenwood at Online Stereo that has the AUX port for an Ipod or mp3 player. It was less than $200.00.

You will need the install kit , the amp bypass harness and the antenna extention.

You can find good speakers pretty reasonable on line, you will need to replace the Bose stuff.

You will need to wire in the 2 resistors so the SYS light wont stay on.

I did my 90 a few months ago and it took a couple of hours and I spent less than $300.00

You could have your Bose system repaired and then use one of those cassette-to-CD adapters to connect your Ipod to it. I got mine from walmart for about $9.

I did my 90 a few months ago and it took a couple of hours and I spent less than $300.00
Wow. I spent days installing a Pioneer HU, a 4x100W MBQuart amp and 2 pairs of Infinity speakers; 8" subs-rear, 6.5" -front. Days were required to fabricate boxes to hold each speaker. All components are very HQ, including the wiring.

Best part is running an old laptop HD into the USB input, with over 30mB of music.

There used to be a section on stereo systems but I cannot find it now. :w

Wow. I spent days installing a Pioneer HU, a 4x100W MBQuart amp and 2 pairs of Infinity speakers; 8" subs-rear, 6.5" -front. Days were required to fabricate boxes to hold each speaker. All components are very HQ, including the wiring.

Best part is running an old laptop HD into the USB input, with over 30mB of music.

There used to be a section on stereo systems but I cannot find it now. :w

With ll you did, I can see it taking longer.

I replaced the speakers and re- wired , but I was able to use the stock Bose enclosures.

There had been an aftermarket radio in before so I didn't have to do any cutting.

The by pass harness was easy as was the antenna extension

Thanks guys! Lots of great replies so far.

So if I want to install "normal" (non-amplified) speakers, do I need to run new wires (which would be a real PITA) or can I use the existing speaker wiring?

And where do these two resistors go and how many ohms?

Thanks guys! Lots of great replies so far.

So if I want to install "normal" (non-amplified) speakers, do I need to run new wires (which would be a real PITA) or can I use the existing speaker wiring?

And where do these two resistors go and how many ohms?

Yes you would need new wires as the stock Bose wires are to small.

It's not that hard, Just pull the rocker speaker enclosures and run the wires from there to the back.

Do you have the C68 climate control A/C?

The resistors are .5 ohms. I bought them from Radio shack.

They wire into the factory harness behind the original radio. There is a TSB from GM as to the wiring diagram. Add about 3 inches to the resistor for ease and in case you need to pull the radio out.

Do you have the C68 climate control A/C? The resistors are .5 ohms. I bought them from Radio shack.They wire into the factory harness behind the original radio. There is a TSB from GM as to the wiring diagram. Add about 3 inches to the resistor for ease and in case you need to pull the radio out.
Can you explain this in more detail? I have the C68 climate control unit. Is the resistor required to control C68 dimming which I lost when I installed an after market radio. Currently using a radio adapter for black, yellow (acc/run), and orange (clock) wires only. Ran new wires for the speakers, but kept the stock Bose face plates. 6x9 fit perfectly in the rear, and made an adapter to fit 3.5" in the doors, keeping the Bose boxes.

Can you explain this in more detail? I have the C68 climate control unit. Is the resistor required to control C68 dimming which I lost when I installed an after market radio. Currently using a radio adapter for black, yellow (acc/run), and orange (clock) wires only. Ran new wires for the speakers, but kept the stock Bose face plates. 6x9 fit perfectly in the rear, and made an adapter to fit 3.5" in the doors, keeping the Bose boxes.

If I remember right the C68 climate control sends a data stream through the wiring harness. When you remove the data stream and the computer does not see it and it triggers the SYS light.

There are two resisters that need to be put onto place.

When you remove the Bose system you remove the data stream.

Wonder if this applies to the updated dash that came out in 1990. I'm having no issues on my 1989 other than the C68 no longer dims with the rest of the cluster like it did with the stock radio.

The Bose syatem in my 85 C4

Hello everybody I`m new here,
And I`m having the same scratchy problem as your having.
I`ve thought it over & I`ve read a lot about the Bose system, As I understand it there are 5 amps, one behinde the radio and one on each speaker, The amp on the speaker may not be bad it could be the amp behinde the radio. I have a 92 Cadi with pretty much the same unit. The Cadi one works fine. I`ve not heard anybody complane about the Cadi radio`s, Just the Vette system.
Any how I plan to yank the whole system out, Make myself a custon face plate with the Corvette logo, match up the light colors with the car dash. But I`m going with a unit that plays Cassett, CD, mp3`s and has a USB port, as well as a soud in plug. it`s about $159.00
But with a 300 watt SINGLE amp a set of good speakers and a good electric antena, I think I`ll have what I want If i`m gonna put 3, 4 hundred dollars in the thing I want what I want. & lets face mine is an 85 Vette, is not a 61 so I don`t think I`ll be sorry about the change. what do you think.
Dan

If you are going to tear out the system anyway why not stay original.
Actually I started this thread almost a year ago and I still have my Delco Bose system in my '91.

Why not stay original? As great as the Delco Bose system was 20 years ago, I stopped using cassettes some time in the last millennium and I can't even remember the last time I even played a CD. Most of my mobile audio listening today involves listening to HD radio or listening to my iPad through the BlueTooth connection to my other car's sound systems.

My car is a DD (as soon as I get it out of winter storage) and I plan on letting my heirs worry about any resale value the car might have!

Actually I started this thread almost a year ago and I still have my Delco Bose system in my '91.
It is easy to do worse than the Bose but also not so hard to do better. The latter will not be cheap, if you really want to improve on the stock system and do it right.

Problem is, asking our opinions on a new sound system is like asking which oil is best! :w

True but, I know for sure that there`s something wrong with both front speakers & one of the rear one is starting to get scratchy. The Cassette doesn`t work either. Here` my beef
I love the old rock & old Country stations some are on AM now So I want to get a better sound than I`m getting. besides I want to be able to listen to my CD`s ( ie Nelson Riddle ) And why not have a USB port, I don`t do Ipod but theres a jack for that too. And I figure that after you get a good set of speakers, and a good power amp, if you needed to You can change the reciever any time to accomadate anything. Now like I said if this were a 59-65 vette, I`d have the original repaired & have a second unit put in under the dash somewhere, where it wouldn`t defamate the integraty of the car. But this is an 85 It has the Digital dash & the Digital reciever would fit right in. & there are better looking ones out there than mine, At least right now ki ki ki:upthumbs
Dan

Hey, I did the same, in stages.

Your Bose amps (inside the boxes) might need a relatively simple capacitor change to clean them up. A little searching will yield the procedure OR you can send them in for repair. That's a damn sight easier than replacing all those components with non-Bose. That ease is the ONLY reason I mention it, not any originality issue; nor am I a fan of any 'Blows' product.

Aftermarket head units need an equalizing pre-amp to work with those Bose amps, however.

FWIW, I rarely listen to the radio or CDs anymore. I've gone either iPod or hard disk to play MY vast collection of mp3s, preferring NOT to listen to some talkative DJ and commercials. It also gives me a great re-use of the older 2.5" drives (mounted in an 'external case") from laptops or iPods are relatively cheap as the SScard memory capacity skyrockets. iPods typically offer more control ease and flexibility to those looking for a particular track, artist, etc., or for playlists.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom