Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: C4 Speaker Covers

Red Vette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
08 VR Convertible 2014 TR Coupe
I was paging thru Sept 2008 Corvette Enthusiast mag, page 92, and came across an add for the speaker covers for the C4 now available from Corvette America. Went to CA site and clicked on interiors for C4s, then on door sills and pads. CA has them in carpet or "Tru-Vet" carpet. Seems they have them in all interior colors. Can order the two front speaker covers for $20 or the assembly for $90. Since most of us with C4s lament the wear and tear on the driver's side speaker cover, there finally is a replacement. I plan to call CA (800-458-3475) to find out what the difference is between Tru Vet and carpet. It is important to know that the carpet backing must allow sound to penetrate, so I am not sure which version to order. I will update this thread once I find out.
Barrett

I called Corvette America to ask about the details of the C4 covers. Tru-Vet colors apply to 1994-96; the other option, carpet, applies to pre 1994 models. The difference is in the type of carpet pile used before and after 1994. The colors are supposed to be an exact match for the OEM. The back of the covers is a screen like poly material that allows the sound to come through. As stated in my other post, one can purchase the carpet alone for the two front speakers at $20 or can purchase the assembly that is made up of the cover attached to the plastic speaker frame assembly for $90. It does not include the sill cover. Shipping is extra. I ordered both sets today, just in case I replace my interior some day. Hope this helps.
Barrett

Thanks, Red Vette, always good to know about new C4 offerings on the market!

B17Crew
:w

Just an update on my post on the C4 speaker covers. I received the speaker covers from Corvette America several weeks ago, red, for my 94 convertible. They match the interior in color and the fabric matches the carpet, so I am glad that they are now available. I just wish the Bose system in the C4 was as good as the one in my C5. If I ever get done with the outside projects, I will install the driver's side speaker cover; it is an easy operation.
Barrett

I bought them and returned them! Arggg, they are horrible!!!

Just an update on my post on the C4 speaker covers. I received the speaker covers from Corvette America several weeks ago, red, for my 94 convertible. They match the interior in color and the fabric matches the carpet, so I am glad that they are now available. I just wish the Bose system in the C4 was as good as the one in my C5. If I ever get done with the outside projects, I will install the driver's side speaker cover; it is an easy operation.
Barrett

Dont' buy 'em! I did and just taking them out of the celophane wrapper they started to fall apart. :mad The fabric started pulling out from the backing. For the heck of it I started to pull on the fabric and it came out in clumps. I couldn't imagine what they would look like after being at the foot level after a couple of days of possibly rubbing up against them.

(Went to a fabric store and bought regular fabric. Matched the color pretty close and looks pretty good 2 months later!)

I installed mine and they have been great; no problems whatsoever. So far, I am pleased with the product. If I have any problems, will let you know.
Barrett

Did you buy just the replacement fabric or the whole cover including the plastic frames? Mine was the fabric only. Hope mine was a fluke or bad batch 'cause they were exact matches.

I bought both, the covers by themselves and the unit with the covers on them. I installed the covers already on the new unit instead of recovering my old unit, and kept the covers by themselves as backups. The covers themselves, not attached to the unit, appear to be okay, but I will check on them this weekend and get back to you.
Barrett

I looked at the speaker covers today that I ordered without the plastic unit that attaches to sill. They were still in the package. There was nothing wrong with them nor was there anything to indicate that the carpet fabric would separate from the backing. Also, the speaker cover that I installed on the drivers side has shown no wear and surely would if the fabric had a potential of separating from the backing. Maybe the covers that caused trouble in the previous threads were defective. Mine are red.
Barrett

Just out of curiosity, how are the covers/frames attached to the side of the foot well?

The fabric attaches to the plastic speaker cover that protects the speaker; the fabric keeps dust out and prevents damage to the plastic speaker cover due to wear. The plastic speaker cover is attached to the sill frame with nuts; the plastic speaker cover has threaded studs attached to it. The studs go through the appropriate holes in the sill frame and the nuts then tighten against the sill frame. The sill frame is accessible by removing it from the car; unscrew the screws along the outside edge, remove the screws in the driver's pillar trim, and then slide the sill frame out carefully by sliding it rearward away from the front trim piece that is half way up the front door jam. You have to slide it around the emergency brake. Reinstall the same way. It's not difficult.
The reason I chose to use the new fabric covered plastic speaker cover instead of recovering my old one with new fabric is that my old plastic frame had a fabric cover on it that I put on last year and it still was good. It almost matched the interior, but did not have the same backing on it that the original OEM fabric had, so the sound was somewhat muted because it was a heavier grade fabric. The fabric was actually a rug that is used for speakers that I got from a Phoenix supplier. I wanted to keep the rug attached in case I had a problem with the replacement, so I purchased the plastic speaker cover with the fabric already on it, and simply attached it to the sill frame.
Barrett

Thanks for the explination, Barrett. I'm planning to put new carpet in this winter and I expect I'll replace that speaker frame in the process. Without your explination, I would have assumed they were attached with the same type of fastener that holds the door panel. You've saved me alot of profanity!

Thanx again!
Richard

Glad I could help. You might want to invest in a Factory Service Manual. Saves a lot of time and profanity.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom