Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C4 vs C5 performance

bucket

Corvette
this seems to be a no brainer for most but to me its not so simple...
in stock form the C5 has 50 more hp and the same in torque...
this number is easily matched by a cold air intake and less restrictive exhaust...on a C4..
so whats the big deal..?
let the flailing begin...:upthumbs

Eh, you might need a bit more then just a cold air and an exhaust system. Although, like my Rubie if you get a C4 for under 15K and throw 5k at it you will be kicking C5 Z06 butt and hangin in with the newer C6's. LT1's are a cam swap, a port and polish, big throttle body, and some roller rockers away from doing it. Add in some 4.10 gears, and BANG!!!

It all depends on driver, auto vs. manual, mileage of car, conditon, etc...C5's stock ran anyware from 13.5 to 13.1 for the LS1 cars. C4's ran 14.0 to 13.6 stock. At least that is what I have found in PUBLISED data from magizines, GM, etc...Stick cars are usually faster, duh.

Eh, you might need a bit more then just a cold air and an exhaust system. Although, like my Rubie if you get a C4 for under 15K and throw 5k at it you will be kicking C5 Z06 butt and hangin in with the newer C6's. LT1's are a cam swap, a port and polish, big throttle body, and some roller rockers away from doing it. Add in some 4.10 gears, and BANG!!!

It all depends on driver, auto vs. manual, mileage of car, conditon, etc...C5's stock ran anyware from 13.5 to 13.1 for the LS1 cars. C4's ran 14.0 to 13.6 stock. At least that is what I have found in PUBLISED data from magizines, GM, etc...Stick cars are usually faster, duh.

gears makes all the difference but i have the least desirable rear end(?:eyerole) and would have to change the entire unit for all practicle purposes...
perhaps some 1.8 rockers with a larger throttle body and long tubes with X pipe and free flow mufflers and of course the cram air package...that would be a couple of thou...but it would also be very surprising to a lot of newer vette boys...lol:r

Do vettes really race other vettes?

every time im next to a newer vette at a lite i have to physically restrain my right foot.....:Steer
I'll race a vette.....most people that drive them NEVER get on them....you guys know what I mean....2 weeks ago, this lady pulls up next to me at a light in a big, bad, nasty black viper....there were cars ahead of us at the light and we both let them clear out and she did a smoky burnout in that thing....she let it back down and then took off normally....she really knew how to drive that thing....to be honest, I didn't want any part of that thing.....it looked and sounded very, very fast.....

every time im next to a newer vette at a lite i have to physically restrain my right foot.....:Steer
Me, too...to bad like is said in a post after yours, most people driving Vettes, should be driving a Buick. All that sports car potential and you drive it like a Buick, shame on you. I don't drive mine stupid or reckless as or hurt me or the car, but for crying out loud, ITS A SPORTS CAR!!! Redline shifts, and banging through the gears, hangin' the tail out, squealing the tires at 1G, and doing the occasional burnout are what it is ment for. :lou
I'll race anybody, I dont care, because there WILL always be someone faster than you, as long as they got more money than you. So have FUN!!!

FYI, My nickname at work is "REV it up ROY". I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to cars. Especially, CORVETTES. Whoever said, "Its not a passion, its an OBSESSION." Is right.

I have not had another Vette pull up next to me and want to race... Instead, we complement each others Vette and talk till the light turns green...:cool Maybe a few revs to show off the exhaust and get peoples attention, etc...

Then we hang around a little, driving together till we go our seperate ways... As this happens, Everyone watches!

I have not had another Vette pull up next to me and want to race... Instead, we complement each others Vette and talk till the light turns green...:cool Maybe a few revs to show off the exhaust and get peoples attention, etc...

Then we hang around a little, driving together till we go our seperate ways... As this happens, Everyone watches!

They are waiting for the hammer to drop.;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL

Glenn
:w

have c5 and c6 owners snubbed anybody in c4/c3?

doesnt happen often, but every once in a while, somebody in a c5 or c6 doesnt even return my wave when im driving my 80 or my 87 convertible. :upthumbs

I see them and know they saw me, but they look like, well you know the look, "my cars is so much better than yours, why should I wave?" look. :confused:confused

maybe they don't know the culture but that's hard to believe, who drives a vette and doesn't know the history, the culture or at least the WAVE,
:bash

By far though, most of the vetters around my area are friendly and chatty about their cars. Those fancy pants vetters just make me laugh :upthumbs

nice times, good driving :w:w:w

tk

doesnt happen often, but every once in a while, somebody in a c5 or c6 doesnt even return my wave when im driving my 80 or my 87 convertible. :upthumbs

I see them and know they saw me, but they look like, well you know the look, "my cars is so much better than yours, why should I wave?" look. :confused:confused

maybe they don't know the culture but that's hard to believe, who drives a vette and doesn't know the history, the culture or at least the WAVE,

By far though, most of the vetters around my area are friendly and chatty about their cars. Those fancy pants vetters just make me laugh :upthumbs

tk

I think a lot of people don't know about the wave...Let's face it....vettes are pretty and they're fast. Some people buy them because they're pretty, some because they're fast. Some, like the people on this forum own them for both. Very rarely, when I pull up to a c6 or c7 vette, will whoever is driving it get on it. Maybe because of my elims, because I come roaring up and then let off the throttle and my little LT1 is snapping and snarling....maybe they think I've got a stroked 383 with a cam and 40 lb injectors....maybe they just don't like to race. But, when I'm going about 60 and punch it, and it pops down to 2nd and the front end jumps up and the exhaust is deafening....very few c5 plus want any of it. There have been a couple....a beautiful black c7....I punched it and he came up next to me and got even with me. He had a 6 speed and he downshifted to 2nd and punched it and the ass end of that thing went squirrely, hooked up and he was gone.....my hero!!

tk

POSERS..:SLAP:lou:r:harhar

There is a punk kid running around here in a 02-03 Z06. I've seen him many times. I see him the other day, and he comes flying up from behind me, getting right on my :booty

The next road was mine, so I thought he may follow me, so I signaled with plenty of time. Instead the punk pulls up next to me on the right, and gives me a look like I wasn't good enough to be on the road. One of these days, we will meet and he wont be so smug :D

There is a punk kid running around here in a 02-03 Z06. I've seen him many times. I see him the other day, and he comes flying up from behind me, getting right on my :booty

The next road was mine, so I thought he may follow me, so I signaled with plenty of time. Instead the punk pulls up next to me on the right, and gives me a look like I wasn't good enough to be on the road. One of these days, we will meet and he wont be so smug :D

Go get that bitch vetteboy!

Autocrossers prefer c4 for it's suspension. Read it in Nov. '03 vette magazine.

I think a lot of people don't know about the wave...Let's face it....vettes are pretty and they're fast. Some people buy them because they're pretty, some because they're fast. Some, like the people on this forum own them for both. Very rarely, when I pull up to a c6 or c7 vette, will whoever is driving it get on it. Maybe because of my elims, because I come roaring up and then let off the throttle and my little LT1 is snapping and snarling....maybe they think I've got a stroked 383 with a cam and 40 lb injectors....maybe they just don't like to race. But, when I'm going about 60 and punch it, and it pops down to 2nd and the front end jumps up and the exhaust is deafening....very few c5 plus want any of it. There have been a couple....a beautiful black c7....I punched it and he came up next to me and got even with me. He had a 6 speed and he downshifted to 2nd and punched it and the ass end of that thing went squirrely, hooked up and he was gone.....my hero!!

Yeah,Those C7 drivers are way ahead of their time!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

There is more to performance than horsepower or more accurately power to weight ratio. Handling, creature comforts and ride quality count too.

I love my C4 but, I see the good attributes and performance improvements of the C5 and C6s.

However, if you go in with your eyes wideopen as to what it really will cost and what needs to be improved, a C4 can be made to hold its own vs their more advanced corvette brothers. Dont' be surprised if when you are finally done with your upgraded C4 if your total expenditure is about the same or even more than if you would have moved on to one of the newer generations (C5 C6)

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom