Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Body Side Molding

M

mikejpss

Am wondering if the body side moldings can be removed from the C5? Are they attached with pressure tape, or, are they drilled thru the body with attaching hardware on the backside?
Personally, would like to have a C5 without the molding . While looking to buy, need to know if this option can be removed easily, etc.
Thanks, Mike J.
:w

Just tape, easily pealed off, even years later like I did on my '04 MY Z06.

Be careful. I saw pictures of a guy who "peeled" his off and took huge chunks of paint with it. Use some fishing line to saw the tape apart and then remove the tape with an adhesive remover.

Or just keep the BSM's. I think they look good.

I bought my 98 in August 2004, and the second day I had it I removed the moldings. They came off very easily with fishing line, but the hard part was removing the glue that stayed behind. I just rolled it off slowly with my thumb. It took 5 hours! I had help from a friend with a detail shop, so he had some chemicals there that helped to remove the final bit of residue once we got the big bulk of the glue off. When it was done, you couldn't see any evidence at all that they were there. I was lucky that the previous owner kept the car in great shape so the paint was not faded, so you didn't see a color difference where the moldings were.

Hummm..different strokes for different folks I guess....I love them!:w

I've heard that using a heat gun or hair dryer will work better at removing the moulding. Don't heat up an area too long or you're going to have problems with paint. I like mine so I'll keep the hair dryer in the house.

C5 Body Side Molding

what... BSM's ???

that stands for Buick Sedan Moldings. Heck yeah they work. My dad always had those "rub strips" installed on his Oldsmobiles.

:)

Hey ,I remember those.
I know of two people who removed theirs ,both said it was a pain to remove all traces
I removed mine yesterday , they are just glued, take some 40 lb.test fishing line and work it like a saw behind the strip..Its friction helps it melt thru the glue and wont damage the paint at all. After the strips are separated from the body you will have some residual glue which can be rolled of with your thumbs (watch for blisters)Then all you need to do is wax the area and your done..A couple hours to a nice clean smooth line. I found the info on how to do this on this post Thanks Guys, Hope it helps you out,,,,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom