Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C5 brake system fluid capacity

Dave

Corvette
2001 Pewter coupe
I am about to flush the brake system of the black gunk in the master cylinder.

Is Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 & 4 OK to use? I don't think it's silicone based, is it?

What is the brake system capacity. The valvoline brake fluid comes in 12 & 32 oz. cans hiw much should I buy?

Are there any special steps that need to be taken? I am also replacing the stock rubber brake hoses with Goodridge SS braided hoses.

Thank you for your help!!
Dave

HI there,
Capacity, there is no listing in GM service information.
We here at this dealership usually flush 1 quart of GM DOT3 brake fluid through Corvette.
Allthebest, c4c5

I like the Valvoline SynPower fluid. It is not silicone-based.
I've gotten better results following the caliper bleeding order specified in the service manual (go figure), rather than the traditional way of bleeding the longest lines in the rear first.

Thanks 1stiff84,
I don't have access to a service manual. What does it recommend about bleeding??
Thanks,
Dave

Thanks 1stiff84,
I don't have access to a service manual. What does it recommend about bleeding??
Thanks,
Dave

If you are manually bleeding (i.e., 2-person), bleed in the following order: RR-LF-LR-RF.

C5 Brake System Fluid Capacity

Thanks 1stiff84,
Thanks,
Dave

Dave, how did the brake bleed go last April? I'm doing my '04 in the next couple weeks. Did you use the sequence from the service manual? I was surprised to see that sequence. I also know the big thing is to not let the master cylinder go dry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom