Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Exhaust Reccomendations....

93reddroptop

I know this subject is done to death on most car forums on the entire net but I'm looking for some information none-the-less. I've already searched the CAC messages with the search function and turned up a couple of threads but I'd love some fresh info.

I've read good reviews for Corsa and Borla. I used to have a Mustang GT with Magnaflow catback with Magnapacks. I LOVED it's sound and was constantly complimented on it. So I'm in a bit of a quandry as what would sound the best. Also Magnaflow sells a X-pipe with one of their setups but needless to say the Corvette exhaust prices are much steeper that my Mustangs was. Basically I'm looking for a catback possibly with a X-pipe setup that has a nice loud deep tone. I've also heard good thing about SLP Loudmouth products and I'm curious if anyone has expirence with them. All replies are appreciated!

Randy

I had Borla Exhaust on my 1996 LT1 Z28 and have the Corsa Touring Exhaust on my current LS1. The Borla exhaust was a lot louder.

I'm not into as loud as exhaust systems as I used to be, so the Corsa Touring Exhaust is more up my alley these days.

They sound great on acceleration but are very suttle when cruising.

Good luck on your exhaust search!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

The Corsa Indies sounded decent but not real deep. Anybody else with other reccomendations?

I installed a pair of Flowmaster mufflers. I think they sound fantastic, I like the looks of the oval quad tips and I feel a differance in the upper RPM ranges. Best of all they only coast $400 from Summit Racing. (Much more from Corvette parts vendors)

My Corvette: 1993 Torch Red Convertible 56k Original miles

Per your My Corvette description, it says you have a 1993.

Is that wrong, or do you own a few Corvettes? ;shrug

If so what year of C5 do you own?

Though I haven't quite joined the "New Exhaust Club", they are on order. My goal was to produce the late 60's muscle car sound and not the ever popular "exotic" sound. Additionally, I wanted to continue to hear my Bose stereo and have a conversation with my wife while tooling along at 70 mph. After many weeks of several Forum posts, listening and deciding, I made a difficult decision.

First off I wanted Headers and selected the Dynatech system (Headers, Hi-flo cats and X-pipe) for its price, quality, fit and performance gains.

To round out the system I went with the Magnaflow (#15713) for their Quality, looks and tame (but noticable) rumble at idle/cruise, but all out growl at WOT. Reminds me of my 69 SS Chevelle days!

Making the decision is the hardest. suggest you listen to actual cars and only use the Web sound clips as reference. Also, make sure the system you are evaluating is installed on a similarly equiped car. Best of luck and when my system is installed, I will post the performace gains.

Ed

i had borlas on my 86 and i have corsa tourings on my 98. the borlas sounded awesome but i did not enjoy the resonance at certain rpms. the corsas have no resonance at all. i went with the tourings because i will be installing headers and hi-flow cats soon and it should make for a pretty sweet sound.

having said all that, it's really a personal decision, and like everyone says, you've got to listen to a bunch of them to really decide (although, i did rely heavily on the corsa sound clips on their site).

good luck...it's a fun road to go down.:beer

6 Shooter said:
Per your My Corvette description, it says you have a 1993.

Is that wrong, or do you own a few Corvettes? ;shrug

If so what year of C5 do you own?

Actually I haven't posted yet but I traded in my 93' vert for a 2000 6-speed coupe. It's a real smooth ride however I drove it home from the dealer Friday night and it has to stay in the garage until spring. :-( That may kill me!!! LOL.
It's a pretty well optioned car (Light Pewter Metallic) with HUD, Selective Ride Control, Bose radio w/12 CD changer, and a targa top with both roof and glass tops. I have pics but I haven't posted them yet.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming.

mowton said:
Though I haven't quite joined the "New Exhaust Club", they are on order. My goal was to produce the late 60's muscle car sound and not the ever popular "exotic" sound. Additionally, I wanted to continue to hear my Bose stereo and have a conversation with my wife while tooling along at 70 mph. After many weeks of several Forum posts, listening and deciding, I made a difficult decision.

First off I wanted Headers and selected the Dynatech system (Headers, Hi-flo cats and X-pipe) for its price, quality, fit and performance gains.

To round out the system I went with the Magnaflow (#15713) for their Quality, looks and tame (but noticable) rumble at idle/cruise, but all out growl at WOT. Reminds me of my 69 SS Chevelle days!

Making the decision is the hardest. suggest you listen to actual cars and only use the Web sound clips as reference. Also, make sure the system you are evaluating is installed on a similarly equiped car. Best of luck and when my system is installed, I will post the performace gains.

Ed

I'm thinking of the Magnaflow system myself. I just loved them on my old Mustang GT. They seem rather pricey when bought with the X-pipe they offer though. I'm still looking however. Thanks.

93reddroptop said:
I'm thinking of the Magnaflow system myself. I just loved them on my old Mustang GT. They seem rather pricey when bought with the X-pipe they offer though. I'm still looking however. Thanks.

93reddroptop,

If you shop around, you should be able to get a set, with X-pipe, for about $1K. Even if you look at Borla, Corsa etc. they are $650 to $750 for Catback and $250 to $300 for X-pipe. Remember, with the Magnaflow you are getting a full size, exact form factor muffler and an outrageous set of tips. Not to mention, they also come with an exhaust plate. Thats a plus only if you don't mind advertising for Magnaflow. But some guys take the plate to a machine shop, mill away the MF logo, and affix a C5 emblem similar to the one on the back deck. Will say, Shawn at LAPD worked with me and I got the Magnaflow (without X-pipe) for $799. As a note, my X-pipe came as part of the Dynatech Header System.

Good Luck

Ed

You should check out the GHL Bullets at GHLMotorsports.com. They are what the custom tuners recommend as they flow better and produce more hp. They have a lower and somewhat louder pitch than say Corsa Indys. Customers report great service, perfect fit and very high quality. They also have two lower cost options.

Anybody using SLP's Loudmouth products at all?

I'm curious also. Will a shop put on an X-pipe? I'm new to C5's so I'm wondering if there are oxygen sensors that have to be pulled or looped. If they would install it I would probably go with the magnaflow complete system.

mowton said:
93reddroptop,

If you shop around, you should be able to get a set, with X-pipe, for about $1K. Even if you look at Borla, Corsa etc. they are $650 to $750 for Catback and $250 to $300 for X-pipe. Remember, with the Magnaflow you are getting a full size, exact form factor muffler and an outrageous set of tips. Not to mention, they also come with an exhaust plate. Thats a plus only if you don't mind advertising for Magnaflow. But some guys take the plate to a machine shop, mill away the MF logo, and affix a C5 emblem similar to the one on the back deck. Will say, Shawn at LAPD worked with me and I got the Magnaflow (without X-pipe) for $799. As a note, my X-pipe came as part of the Dynatech Header System.

Good Luck

Ed

93reddroptop said:
I'm curious also. Will a shop put on an X-pipe? I'm new to C5's so I'm wondering if there are oxygen sensors that have to be pulled or looped. If they would install it I would probably go with the magnaflow complete system.

From what I have read and seen, the aftermarket units will utilize both the front and rear O2's if emissions capable. Read carefully or call/e-mail to make sure all sensors are utilized or you will be throwing codes, or will need to buy O2 simulators.

Ed

mowton said:
From what I have read and seen, the aftermarket units will utilize both the front and rear O2's if emissions capable. Read carefully or call/e-mail to make sure all sensors are utilized or you will be throwing codes, or will need to buy O2 simulators.

Ed

I've seen two posts where you say you got your setup from LAPD. Where exactly is that online? Sorry for what is probably a dumb question.

93reddroptop said:
I've seen two posts where you say you got your setup from LAPD. Where exactly is that online? Sorry for what is probably a dumb question.

First off there are no dumb questions. One of the great attributes about these forums is the knowledge and how open all are to provide it. We all learn from each other and keep each other up to speed on anything and everything. It's like have 1,000 eye's and ear's and an expert at everything. If its not advice, its instructions, or pictures or video etc. That being said, on to the answer

Los Angeles Performance Division is a sponsor of the Corvette Forum and is a Perfromance Shop/Parts supplier. Shawn is A-one and will help with what ever questions or assistance you need. As they recommend, install and tune some of the most outrageous cars, they are well versed it whats good for you and your car. The web site is www.sales@thelapd.com and the phone number is 818-998-DYNO. Check them out.

Also, don't know how dedicated you are to this Forum, but you may want to visit the Corvette Forum (www.corvetteforum.com) also. There is no harm hanging around more than one!

Hope this helps

Ed

mowton said:
First off there are no dumb questions. One of the great attributes about these forums is the knowledge and how open all are to provide it. We all learn from each other and keep each other up to speed on anything and everything. It's like have 1,000 eye's and ear's and an expert at everything. If its not advice, its instructions, or pictures or video etc. That being said, on to the answer

Los Angeles Performance Division is a sponsor of the Corvette Forum and is a Perfromance Shop/Parts supplier. Shawn is A-one and will help with what ever questions or assistance you need. As they recommend, install and tune some of the most outrageous cars, they are well versed it whats good for you and your car. The web site is www.sales@thelapd.com and the phone number is 818-998-DYNO. Check them out.

Also, don't know how dedicated you are to this Forum, but you may want to visit the Corvette Forum (www.corvetteforum.com) also. There is no harm hanging around more than one!

Hope this helps

Ed

Ed,

Thanks I'm checking out LAPD and the corvette forum also. thanks much!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom