Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 or ZR-1?

ajax6

I'm in the imediate choice of buying either a -98 C5 (stock) or a -91 ZR-1. Both M6, in very good condition and with the same milage and price.

Which is the best buy considering factors like driveability, roadhandling, performance (acc/speed), durability (engine life etc) and value development?

TIA

Ajax

SXC391-2061.jpg

img3fcfe935ad414.jpg

My suggestion is to drive both and you will know right away.

I personally prefer the C5 ..but its a personal decision that only you can make.

I agree. Let the seat of your pants make the decision for you.
Good Luck,
Jim

the zr1 is very exotic, has the performance edge and is much more "exclusive" and rare. also harder to fix, the LT5 is VERY durable, but expensive to rebuild.

the C5 is superior in ride/handling and creature comfort and probably would be a better driver.

I'm trying to be unbiased but can't, I own a 600 HP zr1 and it's a monster. the zr1 is an amazing vehicle, but then so is the c5.

as suggeted, drive both, and then decide.

I dont know its a tough choice. I like my c5 but a ZR1 is the king of all corvettes. I dont really like the cragars on the ZR1 though i would swap those out. As far as that c5 its really nice but the orange markers arent good looking but overall 2 great cars!

That's a tough choice. If the ZR-1 is in excellent condition, I myself would go in that direction. If the ZR-1 has some issues, then run to the C5.
Everything already said is right on line. They are both tremendous value in performance cars.

vettepilot

P.S. Notice what my car is, and I still like those ZR-1s, and especially the 93 thru 95 with the upgraded engine.

whats the mileage on both cars ?

also the a/c in the zr still have R 11, here in the states i believe that it can't be had anymore,

The milage is roughly 50 k on both. The ZR-1 has just been through a major run through at a professional shop. There were no remarks, and the fluid in the a/c was topped up so I guess that's not a problem here in Sweden.

The price of the C5 is roughly 4000 $ over the ZR-1. Both are in VERY GOOD condition.

Ajax

My vote goes for the ZR-1..I'll wait for a C5 as soon as the C6 is out for a few years the price on a C5 wil drop, plus not everyone owns a part of Corvette history

One thing that nobody has talked about: the footwells. Sit in the passenger seat in both cars. The footwell is small on the driver's side, and microscopic on the passenger side.

I have a Z06, but would be really tempted by the ZR1. I have never driven one and I would like to some time. By all accounts they are stunning performers.

persoal choice would be the C-5 because the ZR1 will cost more to maintain,harder to find parts,less comfortable ride and the rims on this car should have been left alone. On the other hand the ZR1 will hold its value better than the C-5 in ten years if you hold on to it that long the ZR1 will probably be worth more..:v

Another thing to look at is parts availability in Sweden. Right now and in the future it will probably be easier to get parts for a C5 where you are at. However, can't argue about the exclusive nature of the ZR-1.

atmmac -- The orange markers are standard on European Vettes.

tough one

I personally own a 2000 FRC and I love it. I had to let my wife use my car while my daughter was using my wife's. During this time I was driving my brother's 1990 ZR1. I tell you it was hard giving up the ZR1 and at the same time a relief. I was sad because the car was a blast to drive and a real head turner and it also made me a nervous wreck. I was always worried about someone hitting it or something breaking. These cars are rock solid but when something does beak it can be quite pricey. Get the C5 and when you can afford it buy a ZR1 some time down the road so you have the best of both worlds. That's my plan anyway.

Given theequal condition, I'd go with the ZR-1 fewer made and in the long run should have better value.
Tom

I would factor OUT whether or not the ZR1 will be worth more "down the road". That hasn't worked out too well so far.

Drive both a few times, I've driven several ZR1's and a couple of Z06's.

Ended up with the LT4. Love it.

The driving will decide for you.:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom