Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Polished Wheels

Chrisr

Corvette
'07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
Hi Guys,
Quick question here. My C5 has the polished aluminum (?) wheels. What is a good product to use on them once they're clean to keep them shining????

Chris

Hi Chris, :upthumbs on the new toy! It's great isn't it! On the wheels, if they are factory wheels they should have a clear coat finish on them. Which means anything you use on the paint is okay on the wheels. However you may want to consider a polymer sealant for the wheels due to the extreme environment they live in. Wax is okay, but it will evaporate as the wheels get hot; where as a polymer will resist evaporation because it has a higher melting point than carnauba wax.

Now if the wheels are not factory clear coated then any of the many aluminium cleaners followed by a protectant for polished aluminium will work. You know like Mother's or Megs or Wenol or the like. Only thing is I doubt that there is anything you could use that would last like six months. Wheels take a beating from the heat & brake dust. Good luck with the new toy & use it in good health! Tom

Thanks for your help Tom! Yes indeed, it is GREAT!!!! I drove it today with the top off since it was warm enough. What a feeling!!:D

So, if I understand you correctly, I can use Meguirs NXT, which I use on the body, to do my wheels? Oh, btw, I do have the factory clearcoated polished aluminum wheels.
Mothers Mag wheel and aluminum polish, I shouldn't use, correct.

I don't want to screw up my wheels.:L

Hi Chris, I'm a rookie at detailing so I will tell you what I've learned so far on wheels. Yes to the NXT, however I would suggest to use a wheel care system first. I'm not fimiliar with NXT, as in the specific properties. I picked the Zymol wheel care system as my stock wheels are fine except for the inside part.

System = cleaner + protectantA + protectantB.
cleaner= ph balanced wheel wash + wheel cleaning brush.
protectant A = protectant that comes with the kit.
protectant B = protectant you choose as a FSP(final step product) which is not a cleaner/polymer combination. FSP should always be a pure polymer so you don't remove the protection put down by protectantA.

Read the NXT carefully to make sure it doesn't have any cleaning properties. Usually the tip off is the ability of the product to be layered. Cleaner= protector prods can't be layered. Listen I'm a rookie but I pass these two sites along where I got taken to school on this detailing stuff. Corvette Forum and Autopia. Man if you are a rookie or just want to bone up you gotta see these places. Tom:D

It's been years since I had a car with polished aluminum wheels, and had time to spend detailing a car. So I guess you could consider me a rookie also! :L

You've pointed me in a good direction Tom, I appreciate it. My main concern is that whatever I use doesn't have an abrasive in it. The Zymol kit you mentioned sounds like a good deal. I'll try that and see what happens.

I'm a way big rookie!

Chris, Please check out those sites! Please don't take my word as anything more than " I tried this stuff & it worked for me". I never had alum wheels either. Last vette was a 72 w/ center caps & trim rings on painted steel rims. So my 90 is greek to me. The Zymol kit has a ph balanced wash + a easy to use protectant that can be layered. I picked it because my wheels were clean on the outside, no brake dust, etc. The inside was a mess, brake dust & grease & road dirt, etc. The cleaner got off all the dust & dirt by repeat apps & agitating with the brush. It didn't remove the brake dust, I think? I don't know if the backside of the Fac wheels were clearcoated? I'm figuring they are so I figure the roughness I feel is embeded brake dust in the CC. The book says claybar for that & re-wash till clean. Just be careful that you don't leave the cleaner on too long. I short timed it just to be sure I wouldn't damage anything. I figured the cleaner concentrate is cheaper than 90 saw blades for a ZR-1!! Good luck with the new toy! Save the wave & keep the shiney side up! Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom