Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Recomendations and Cautions

captras

Corvette
1975 Red Convertible
I am considering selling my C3 and buying a C5. Are there any years that I should avoid, or particular problems encounter with specific year models of the C5.

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
I am sure others will chime in with their opinion and in greater detail. There are no particular model years that you should avoid, however, you might want to consider purchasing a 2001 or newer model year Vette. A lot of significant upgrades were made in 2001. Most notable were the addition of the optional head up display, the LS6 intake and block (5 additional HP), and standard active handling and traction control.

I just did the same thing last year. Your going to love the C5. I would chose to go for 2002 and later. Smarter computers.
Enjoy!:cool

Hi there,
I am sure others will chime in with their opinion and in greater detail. There are no particular model years that you should avoid, however, you might want to consider purchasing a 2001 or newer model year Vette. A lot of significant upgrades were made in 2001. Most notable were the addition of the optional head up display, the LS6 intake and block (5 additional HP), and standard active handling and traction control.
I have the heads up display and traction control on my '99...:upthumbs

I have active handling, traction control, and heads up on my 99 too :D

Most of the problems that plague vettes generally affect a wide range of years, such as the column lock issues, fuel gauge readout problems, failure of various computer parts.

I would get the latest model with the lowest mileage for the best price that you can. If you can find one with an extended warranty that is transferrable, that would be a valuable thing to have.

I would agree with all of the above. Go with a 2001 or above if you
can, lowest mileage-newest year. Most of the common problems will
probably have been fixed. Most C-5 now have the column lock by
pass installed, and the 6 speeds have the skip shift by pass in.

So go shop. You will enjoy the car when you get it. A great
difference from the 75.

Hi there,

The head-up display was first available on the 1999 C5 - I know, as I ordered this option when I purchased by 1999 C5.

The active handling and traction control first became available as a mid-year, 1998 model option. It was available as an option on the full model year 1999 C5, and later became standard.

If possible 2001 & newer: Enjoy the Hunt...

BTW - I've heard from a few that Silver is faster, but Team Corvette drives Yellow! :cool

:lou

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

BTW - I've heard from a few that Silver is faster​

AH Yes:

And we both know where an old junk man has one for sale that
was only driven on Sundays by a senior citizen. :L

Somebody Summoned me????:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

:D:D:D

Img163.jpg

Img172.jpg

Img167.jpg

^^^ I really like the color combo on that vert, Jesse!

captras - though not year-specific, some of the C5s are prone to leak fluid at the rear differential side covers.

I have a 2002, The EBCM (traction, anti-lock brake computer) has failed. From my understanding, alot of 2002 EBCM's have failed. It's just a matter of time. The 2003 was redesigned. There is a relay that goes bad. 2003 and later, if possible. A well maintained car can have a few miles and still be a very nice, trouble free car. (I bought mine with 12,900 miles two years ago and the EBCM failed last year. ) I also have a C3, these two cars are completely different and both have their appeal. I couldn't choose between either. Good Luck!!

^^^ I really like the color combo on that vert, Jesse!

captras - though not year-specific, some of the C5s are prone to leak fluid at the rear differential side covers.
Well it's the Only 03 Convertible Built with a Black Top,Lt Grey Interior and Quicksilver!!Steve got the Interior changed last minute on the Assembly line!! And this is "Steve Martins" car!! AkA " Vett Boy" and/or "Fat Boy" :cool

The ebcm failed on my 2002. I've heard of a number of others too...

The ebcm failed on my 2002. I've heard of a number of others too...
It failed on my 2003 Z-51 Coupe about 2 months ago!!Sent it to ABSFixer.com and had it Up Dated for less than $200.,it was back in 38 hr's!!! Took 45 min to R&R!!!:upthumbs

$200... Nice! That's a heck of a lot better than what it costs to replace at the dealer. So I guess 2003's aren't exempt from that problem either.

$200... Nice! That's a heck of a lot better than what it costs to replace at the dealer. So I guess 2003's aren't exempt from that problem either.
I don't think that anything GM is exempt from it!!!:D:D:D

Less than $200. it was $158. from the re builder and $22. FedEx!!Guaranteed for as long as I own the car!!!:upthumbs

Great car any year, just expect some common problems like: power window motor failure, oil pressure sensor failure (intake removal required for replacement), driver seat wear on the track (slides back and forward), rear window seal design on earlier versions does not direct run off away from interior when open. On the other hand, you will get a large boost in fuel economy along with the power increase from the C-3. Drive mine everyday, beats mama's Ram by miles! My suggestion----- Keep both!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom