Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Seat Rebuild - Better than new

Mez

Corvette
2005 LeMans Blue
It is no secret that of the C5 & C6 seats have a reputation for being less than satisfactory in the area comfort and lateral support.

Over the last year or so, I've developed a repair procedure and want to share it with everyone. I wanted to see how it worked out in my car over time and can say the seat feel its 100% better than OEM.

There are two problems this fixes:
  1. [*=1]The bottom side bolsters from the factory do not have any support under them. So as you climb in/out of the seat, the outside bolster foam tears as it sits on the steel seat frame and quickly goes flat.[*=1]The steel wires in the center cut into the bottom foam and quickly cause the foam to sag and pinching around the hip area. I found this extremely uncomfortable after only few minutes.

Send me an email if you would like more information on where to get the repair kit.

Here are the photos of a recent rebuild on my C6 seat. The C5 and C6 seats are basically the same under the cover. The information below is just the high points.

1. Remove bolt covers and unbolt seat.
Bolts.jpg

2. Disconnect wires harness and remove seat from car. This is a a photo of the C6 connector but the C5 connectors are similar.

Connector1.jpg

3. Remove recline lever, remove side controls, cut numerous hog rings, peal back Velcro, and until string holding bottom seat cover then pull out bottom seat cushion.

Lever.jpg

Bottomcover.jpg

4. Using spray upholstery contact cement, attach new ballistic nylon to the underside of seat foam. The center support wires cut into the foam quickly causing the bottom seat cushion to sag. This brings the OEM foam back to its original position and stops the wires from cutting into it.

Bluefabric.jpg

5. Note the large gap between the support wires and the seat frame wear the bolsters are positioned. Using spray contact cement, attach the high density upholstery foam blocks A & C to underside of bolster area. This adds the missing support under the bolsters.

Foamattachments.jpg

6. Add Blocks B & D in lower section. Attach jute pad on top of center wires to make the seat more firm. This is optional and you should try this out before reinstalling the seat to see if you like the firmer feel.

Jute.jpg

7. Reassembled and Finished. Note that the outer bolster is back to its original height and shape.

Finished.jpg

8. Reinstall.

Finishedinstalled.jpg

Looks like a good solution to the problem! Well done! :thumb

Perhaps this DIY should be "stickied" by a moderator?

Seat overhualing . . . Minus the Foose.

I just got done doing this and it makes a world of difference. My particular concern was getting rid of any sharp edges and having the seat springs coming though at some point in the future, which would ruin the seat covers (Leather) and costly $$$. but doing this procedure adds a little extra life to the seats. Great job Mez. :w

Looks like a good solution to the problem! Well done! :thumb

Perhaps this DIY should be "stickied" by a moderator?

I think so too. DONE....

Could the OP please fix the dead image links?

Thank you Mez. :)

Help with the Seat Bladder on Sport Seats

Hello, I just bought a 2000 with Sport Seats. I thought the seat switch wasn't working right. When I lifted the switch up from the front part of the switch the seat was not tilting up. So I thought it wasn't working right. But the seat Bladder was filling and both bladders for the lumbar were filling too. I brought it into a local Corvette shop and asked to just let me know they think anything was wrong. Also I'd like to mention that the electrical wires were on the outside of the seat ,and between the door jam, so I knew some work was done on the seat. Well when I got the car back the wires were under the seat(OK) and was told that either the switch or module or both might be bad. But the Seat Bladder was not filling anymore. I did hear the pump working. I know the integraty of the switch was OK before I brought it there. After a few days the switch button came off in my hand. I was glued on. I replaced the switch but the Bladder is still not working. Can anyone tell me where the Seat Bladder is located? Is it between the Jute and floor or the cushion and the leather covering? What do you think and how can I check the seat bladder?

Thanks for yor help.:ugh

The air blatter is in the back of the seat not the bottom. It adds support to the small of your back. Nothing on the seat bottom. This is why the seat repair/upgrade kit was invented.

Seat

The air blatter is in the back of the seat not the bottom. It adds support to the small of your back. Nothing on the seat bottom. This is why the seat repair/upgrade kit was invented.

I had 3 bladders, 2 for the lumbar and 1 on the seat base. They are Sport Seats. I do know that the base did get firm when I hit the button, now it don't raise. There are 4 switches on the seat. Thanks and please advise.

I had 3 bladders, 2 for the lumbar and 1 on the seat base. They are Sport Seats. I do know that the base did get firm when I hit the button, now it don't raise. There are 4 switches on the seat. Thanks and please advise.

I've got the sport seats in both of mine too, but there are (as you noted) only three bladder-type adjustments: upper lumbar, lower lumbar, and the side 'wings' of the seat back. These are controlled by the three toggle switches shown in your photo.

There are no bladder-type adjustments for the seat pan; only positional adjustments (fore, aft, up, down, front & rear tilt). The seat pan adjustments are made through the long 'slider' bar shown in your photo.

Are you certain you weren't confusing the seat tilt for a bladder-type adjustment in the seat pan? If you pull upward on the rear of that 'slider' bar, the back half of the seat pan should tilt up, and it might feel like it's engaging a bladder-type adjustment.

C-5 seat

I've got the sport seats in both of mine too, but there are (as you noted) only three bladder-type adjustments: upper lumbar, lower lumbar, and the side 'wings' of the seat back. These are controlled by the three toggle switches shown in your photo.

There are no bladder-type adjustments for the seat pan; only positional adjustments (fore, aft, up, down, front & rear tilt). The seat pan adjustments are made through the long 'slider' bar shown in your photo.

Are you certain you weren't confusing the seat tilt for a bladder-type adjustment in the seat pan? If you pull upward on the rear of that 'slider' bar, the back half of the seat pan should tilt up, and it might feel like it's engaging a bladder-type adjustment.

Maybe I'M wrong about the base? maybe it was the side bolsters?? anyway one of the smaller switches makes noise like its working but does not fill. Thanks Buddy.

Maybe I'M wrong about the base? maybe it was the side bolsters?? anyway one of the smaller switches makes noise like its working but does not fill. Thanks Buddy.

Hmm. Well, if the pump is running, the switch must be OK; maybe a pneumatic line came off...? I'm trying to remember from my experiences with these things; I had the passenger side go out entirely on my '04, and it was replaced under warranty. I seem to remember them telling me the internals of the seat back are partially adjusted by electrically-driven components (aside from the pump) and partially pneumatic. But I'm going on about 4-5 year old memory on that...

Seat

Hmm. Well, if the pump is running, the switch must be OK; maybe a pneumatic line came off...? I'm trying to remember from my experiences with these things; I had the passenger side go out entirely on my '04, and it was replaced under warranty. I seem to remember them telling me the internals of the seat back are partially adjusted by electrically-driven components (aside from the pump) and partially pneumatic. But I'm going on about 4-5 year old memory on that...

OK Thanks

The base has no blatters. There are two on the back that pinch in around your waste and one in the middle to increase lower back support.

Its good you hear the motors. Then its a matter of taking the back apart to find if a hose came off the compressor or blatter or the blatter has tear in it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom