Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Tires

R

red c5

I have finally put 28K on my 2001 C5 coupe and it is time for tires. I have read many reviews by tire distributors but was wondering what the people that drive them have to say. Obviously I am not going back to the run-flats and have in somewhat narrowed down to F1GS-D3's, F1 Supercars, G-Force T/A KD or KDW, I have also looked closely at the Kuhmo Ecsta MX. The latter seems, by many, to not be able to hookup on high HP cars. What do you think, you input would be greatly appreciated.

Of those listed above, the F1 GS-D3 is your best choice if your car sees all-round driving, including wet weather.

If all you do is drive in good weather and you want the best performance from the tires but are willing to accept a modest decrease in treadlife, either the F1 Supercar or the G-Force T/A KD are the ways to go and, if I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with the Supercar.

As for the Kumho Ecsta MX...it's a good choice if price is the predominate factor in your choice.

If you're going the non-run-flat route, add one of Tire Racks inflation kits. They are available at reasonable cost and can temporarily repair small punctures.

Welcome to the CAC, red C5! :CAC

You will find many opinions on what tires to run. I have some Michelin Pilot Sports and like them pretty well. But most of us have not had that many tires on our cars, so personal comparison is difficult. It seems to me that you get a stickier tire with a softer compound, but it will come at the expense of wear. With C5 tires costing what they do, that can be a considerable factor.

Mine had Pirellis on it when I bought it. I just put Avons on it last week since I drive it every day all weather tires were what I looked at and the Avons were rated highest at tire rack and were only $5-10 more then the Kuhmos which I had planned on buying (I'm a Po Boy). They stick real well in the rain, better then the Pirellis so Now my Vette is wearing Tyres instead of tires.:D

I think I have just found a new favorite Tyre.

Tires

what is the rational behind the supercar over the KD? I do not drive in the rain or on wet roads unless I get caught in it by accident.

Hib Halverson said:
Of those listed above, the F1 GS-D3 is your best choice if your car sees all-round driving, including wet weather.

If all you do is drive in good weather and you want the best performance from the tires but are willing to accept a modest decrease in treadlife, either the F1 Supercar or the G-Force T/A KD are the ways to go and, if I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with the Supercar.

As for the Kumho Ecsta MX...it's a good choice if price is the predominate factor in your choice.

If you're going the non-run-flat route, add one of Tire Racks inflation kits. They are available at reasonable cost and can temporarily repair small punctures.

I drive in the rain and have been extremely pleased with the F-1 GS D3's

My personal experience:

I've used BFG G-Force T/A KD on my vette for years (several sets) and love them. I won't switch to anything else, no reason to do so. Excellent dry traction. Not great wet traction, but I don't race when its wet, and have had no problems in the rain.

I have the KDW's on my WS6, not as good as the KDs for dry traction. Better in wet. I personally wouldn't put them on my vette. Not sure I'd buy another set when they are worn.

I have the Kumho ECSTA MX on my wife's Cobra now, very good tires for the price, but I think not as good as the BFGs. If price was a main consideration, reasonable choice.

I had the F1 GS-D3 on her Cobra, and thought they were very good. They were/are on national backorder and I couldn't get them last month when I needed them, so went with the Kumhos as my second choice. Hey, it's her car, not mine, and a Ford at that.

I have no personal experience with the F1Supercars.

My preference would be: BFG G-Force T/A KD > F1 GS-D3 > Kumho ECSTA MX > BFG G-Force T/A KDW. I'd probably consider the F1s before the Kumhos.

red c5 said:
I have finally put 28K on my 2001 C5 coupe and it is time for tires. I have read many reviews by tire distributors but was wondering what the people that drive them have to say. Obviously I am not going back to the run-flats and have in somewhat narrowed down to F1GS-D3's, F1 Supercars, G-Force T/A KD or KDW, I have also looked closely at the Kuhmo Ecsta MX. The latter seems, by many, to not be able to hookup on high HP cars. What do you think, you input would be greatly appreciated.
I put Kumho Ecsta ASX's all season on mine,And Real happy with them!!! They HOOK UP Super!!! Wet Pavement,Dry pavement,Snow and Ice!! Quiet!! Smooth!! Don't hydro plane 1/10 as bad as The Run Craps!!!! And so far wearing real Good!!!( 8,000 mi. still have +9.5/32nd's on rear, Right at 10/32nd's on front)!! No Scalloping and No Vibes!! Tire Rack $590.00 with Road Hazard Delivered to your door!!!! Can't beat um!!:upthumbs

tires

Yokohamas also have good rating in other types of tires, so you might want to consider them too if they have the right size. I am going to look at them when it is time to change out.

red c5 said:
what is the rational behind the supercar over the KD? I do not drive in the rain or on wet roads unless I get caught in it by accident.

Couple reasons
1) I have a C5 Z. The F1 Supercar was specifically engineered for the 01-04 Z06 and is a superior choice over the KD for that car
2) I'll take the Supercars slightly less tread depth
3) Both have asymetrical tread dsigns with very blocky outside rows but the Supercar takes that to more of an extreme than does the KD.

Admittedly, we're splitting hairs, here, because the F1 Supercar is, IMO, only incrementally better than the KD but it is, still....better.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom