Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires for Base C6

DonB

Corvette
2019 ZO6 in Elkhart Lake Blue
Any preferences on tires for my base C6? She has Goodyear F1 EMT GS run-flats now. 245's front and 285's on the rear. Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport tires and how do they compare? According to Tire Rack's reviews the Mich's are great and the GoodYear's stink. But I don't have anything to compare the GY's too. I actually thought the GY's were pretty good. Like I said though, I don't have a comparison.

My C4 has BFG's and they aren't bad, but we're are comparing 2 totally different chassis. These tires are awfully expensive to play trial and error.

Has anyone had both the Gy's and the Mich's???? Besides price, what's the better feel and GRIP?

Thanks, Don

Last edited:
Sigpic

Why isn't my SIGPIC showing on my pages?

I had the same Michelins as vettboy on my C5 and wanted to go that route on 007. However I ran across my Firestone WideOval run flats for a much better price and decided to try them. I've NOT been unhappy with the ride, wear or performance. Can't compare GY never had them and don't think I'll ever buy them...just don't like GYs.

i think, if you are going to go with a run flat tire, you really can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Sports AS3 + zp. Many people are ok with doing non run flats and claim better handling. If you want to go non run flat, there are a TON of choices.

Going without a run-flat would not be practicle without a spare

Going without a run-flat would not be practical without a spare

I agree 100%, but I think I may be in the minority in that thinking.

What minority would that be? The ones with common sense?

The other side has valid points that non RF and much quieter and cost less .The solution being to carry a mini compressor ,patch kit and AAA . For me I travel long distances at night and I'd hate to get stranded on the Geo.Washington bridge or in the Bronx at midnight .At 70 plus years old I just don't want the aggravation ,besides anytime I have a flat it's raining or snowing .

Keep in mind that the RF range varies by manufacture .I also always keep my old tires as spares .I'm willing to bet your local tire store does not have a left rear in stock .

What minority would that be? The ones with common sense?

If you talk to many C5 or C6 owners,most will disagree with us and say we are stupid to use runflats. But , yes, those of us with common sense.

I know I'm jinxing myself but I haven't needed a spare for some time. I still carry a mini compressor and fix a flat. I should get a plug kit.
But, I'm also a realist & 63 years old. It also helps to have a buddy who owns a towing company.
I DEEPLY TRUST (and believe)MURPHY'S LAW.
When I was in my 20's, I was a little more daring (and stupid.)
No offense to our more daring members...I just know how my luck goes.
As far as tire noise, I had a Pioneer 4200 stereo installed. It cranks with the Bose system so I can't hardly hear the tires anyway.....LOL!

I never tested my luck with my C6s, and used runflats exclusively. I replaced the Goodyears with Bridgestones on all of them, including base, Z06 and GS. The OEM Michelin runflats that are standard on C7s are much better riding than any C6 runflat. With the camber cranked out of the front end, I expect well over 20,000 miles before Ieven look at replacement. At 12,000 miles, I'm at 70% remaining, according to Discount Tire. Tires ave come a long way, for sure.

Did I miss the part where you described how you intend to drive the car?

Unless you just have to have the Ultimate in summer performance, I recommend the Michelin Pilot all season tire like the A/S 3 + ZP.

I'm a run-flat believer but I still carry an inflator with the sealer and I keep a plug kit in my Vette. There are times when the inflator/sealer and plug kit will just not work. That's when the run-flat will get you to the next exit or town.

:w

I know I'm jinxing myself but I haven't needed a spare for some time. I still carry a mini compressor and fix a flat. I should get a plug kit.
But, I'm also a realist & 63 years old. It also helps to have a buddy who owns a towing company.
I DEEPLY TRUST (and believe)MURPHY'S LAW.
When I was in my 20's, I was a little more daring (and stupid.)
No offense to our more daring members...I just know how my luck goes.
As far as tire noise, I had a Pioneer 4200 stereo installed. It cranks with the Bose system so I can't hardly hear the tires anyway.....LOL!

Hello.........! Did you say something? I can't hear you, the radio is playing too loud! :chuckle

Sorry Tuna I didn't mention that at times i do enjoy "spirited" driving and intense cornering. I used to drive late model stock cars when I was much younger. Now I get to make right turns too.....LOL! All B.S. aside, the C6(with the magnetic ride control) is one of the most aggressive cars I've ever driven. What a difference from my C4. With the C4 you HAVE to stay "up on the wheel." The C6 is more alluring.
I'm just having concerns about where to "draw the line," if you know what I mean. I've had it(the C6) sideways a couple times already, but the advanced handling control saved my bacon. It gets your attention quite fast.
I think I may have to get some track time with the C6 to learn where the "fine line" is, as there aren't many "run-off" areas around here. NOT that I'd ever promote aggressive driving on a public road, but there are some nice winding roads nearby with challenging elevation changes that aren't very popular with most people. Nice quiet roads with great asphalt.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom