Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: C5 Vette radio, CD volume low. Ideas?

gwbarney

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary
Just bought a 2003 Vette. Bose radio system, volume very low. Sound from all speakers, tried SCV adjustment.

Well, gwbarney, first off a "Welcome" is in order. :w I think you'll find some really knowledgeable and helpful people here. One of them will be by here shortly to give you a hand.

Check fuse 28 in the passenger fuse box. That is for the large Bose bass speakers in the doors.

If that is not it then it is your radio or the Bose signal processor. I can provide guidance for removing the radio first to test it.

The radio sends it's initial output to the Bose signal processor. From there the processor sends the signal to the front Bass speakers AND back to the radio. The radio then sends the signal to the rear speakers and the two other front door speakers. An amp is in each front door for those bass speakers and the radio provides the signal amplification for the rears and the other two front door speakers.

Check fuse 28 in the passenger fuse box. That is for the large Bose bass speakers in the doors.

If that is not it then it is your radio or the Bose signal processor. I can provide guidance for removing the radio first to test it.

The radio sends it's initial output to the Bose signal processor. From there the processor sends the signal to the front Bass speakers AND back to the radio. The radio then sends the signal to the rear speakers and the two other front door speakers. An amp is in each front door for those bass speakers and the radio provides the signal amplification for the rears and the other two front door speakers.

Thanks for the info, I checked the fuse labeled Bose, 20A. Not sure if it was FU28. And swapped the Bose relay with the rear defroster. Same part number. The radio HU was already replaced with a known good unit from a 1999 Vette. Is the Bose signal processor a separate unit behind the radio? I've had the Radio Module Power Supply suggested too.

The is no Radio Module Power Supply.

Check fuse 24 in the I/P box also. It says Antenna but it also provide power to the signal processor.

Did you replace the radio because of this issue?

The signal processor is next to the gas petal.

The is no Radio Module Power Supply.

Check fuse 24 in the I/P box also. It says Antenna but it also provide power to the signal processor.

Did you replace the radio because of this issue?

The signal processor is next to the gas petal.

Dadaroo, Is that fuse 24 in the passenger (I/P?) box? I'll check when I'm off work tomorrow. Also how to remove & test the signal processor if fuse 24 is ok? I really appreciate the tech info. Thanks

Yes that fuse is in the passenger foot well fuse box.

I don't know of any way to test the signal processor except to try it on another car.

Still would like to know when you replaced the radio, before or after this happened.

Mr. Sam

C5 Radio low volume issue resolved

:happyanim:Mr. Sam,

The low volume issue was noticed when I originally bought the Vette. The radio was replaced after checking the Bose fuse F28 & the Bose relay, since I had a friend with a spare unit. The actual problem was as you suggested: Fuse 24 was blown for the signal processor in the I/P fuse panel. I found some schematics but it labeled both RDO/CD & RDO/ANT fuses as F5. It's working great now. Hallelujah! Thanks again for the assistance.

That's great. I appreciate the feedback on that. I almost forgot about that fuse. I never will again. :thumb

dadaroo you are my hero. I searched for this topic a year ago when I had this problem and did not find this thread. I am 2nd and 4th owner of a stock 2002 Z06 that now has 257,000 miles. Original owner was a friend and he and all of it's owners have autocrossed it. I had a local Corvette shop who has been brilliant with diagnosing issues on other Corvettes for me and the radio was not responding to any inputs at the time ( a new issue). He said send it our for repair. Well, I found a good used one at a good price and decided to take that path. Put it in the am and no difference. ugh. so back to internet searches for amplifier or whatever when I found this thread. Well, dang if it isn't the 24 fuse !!. Not so simple though. When I pulled the fuse it left one leg behind. well, ok. put another fuse in and RATS, still weak sound. so fiddling around at the fuse the sound kicked on and about blew my ears off !!.There is some issue in the fuse box at fuse 24, but at least I know the source of the problem. THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Greendot, I'm sure Dadaroo would be thrilled that his solution helped you with your problem. However we lost dadaroo a few years back now. Just thought you'd like to know.

Greendot, I'm sure Dadaroo would be thrilled that his solution helped you with your problem. However we lost dadaroo a few years back now. Just thought you'd like to know.
Sam was a Super Dude and good friend. He is missed,I don't have a pit stop anymore cruzing home from Fla! Sam was a real hoot too, He defiantly called them like he seen'em!:thumb

Tom, I appreciate your updating me. It is obvious that Dadaroo was a respected and valuable member of the forum. As you can see from my profile I'm a long time but inactive member. Fortunately Dadaroo's contributions live on. RIP sir.

I wondered why I never see any posts from him anymore. He was a smart likeable man. I know it sounds tacky after the fact, but I'm very sorry to hear this and my condolences to his family......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom