Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Water pump - Easy

Curious George

Corvette
'92 Red Convertible / '99 Red Convertible
A week ago I replaced the four belt pulley's (2 AC belt and 2 serpentine belt) and AC belt. While doing this, I noticed some "wetness" from underneath the water pump. After replacing the pulley's I ordered a water pump and the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Took me about 1.75 hours to do the job, in between chatting with my neighbor. Fairly easy and straight forward. Plenty of room to work (in the front of the car).

CG

CG, I haven't done one in the Corvette, but found it surprisingly easy to do in my 99 Silverado pickup, with the 5.3 (LS style engine). Way better than the old SBC.

I agree, a very easy job. I did a write up on it here.

Upon closer inspection, I need a radiator too. On the top of the composite end cap (where the upper radiator hose is) I saw a small puddle of green gook. I cleaned it away to reveal a hairline crack.

Radiator is on order and should be here later this week. At least I caught it now instead of 300 miles into a road trip!

Upon closer inspection, I need a radiator too. On the top of the composite end cap (where the upper radiator hose is) I saw a small puddle of green gook. I cleaned it away to reveal a hairline crack.

Radiator is on order and should be here later this week. At least I caught it now instead of 300 miles into a road trip!

Just so you know, this is somewhat of a common occurrence and this TSB covers what GM has the mechanics do for your year car. Wouldn't have cost you a dime to try and maybe saved you some dead presidents.

Just so you know, this is somewhat of a common occurrence and this TSB covers what GM has the mechanics do for your year car. Wouldn't have cost you a dime to try and maybe saved you some dead presidents.

I read the bulletin, but don't see how "polishing" the filler neck would correct my particular issue. These "new type" radiators are known to develop cracks, and in general, are not as robust as the "old" all metal radiators. In my case, I could see the crack on the top of the end cap. Attempting to "fix it" somehow ( JB Weld, etc) may buy you some time, but it will fail in time.

I'd rather replace the radiator now and have piece of mind that it is done and I do not have to worry about it for at least 100k more miles. In addition, I do not take my car to the dealer for anything - period.

CG

That's fine. I'm just supplying the information that was put out specifically for your year car. I don't understand how polishing will work either but I'll definitely try it since I know personally how much fun changing the radiator is. I turn the screws on my car too but some things (like the use of a ACR 2000), is something I will visit a dealer for. I definitely ain't gonna buy one. :w

I hear ya'. Since I have an automatic, I have the transmission cooling lines to mess with as well. No big deal though, it is still easier than replacing the Opti-Spark on my C4!

Which in retrospect, was not that bad.

CG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom