Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5 Wave Exempt to older vettes?

F

fasterthanu

C5 owners

Basically, with a few rare exceptions, they look down on us in the aspect that, "What? They can't afford a new vette? They think they are in my class because they drive that old vette? Please.." Funny thing though, I LOVE the style of the older vettes. A corvette is like a woman, a woman with curves gets noticed...curves are beautiful. Why settle for anything else? So heres to you stuck up C5 owners, and soon to be C6 owners....

Kiss my (_)(_)

The rest of you decent C5 and C6 owners, rock on. These are the guys who have had older vettes, and love them and not the status *I have money*

I agree. Even though I intend to go to a C5 in the very near future I notice the same.

I never heard the expression "A no wrench club" until I went to some Corvette shows run by a mostly C5 club. I dont have a personal "tuner" and yes I put my exhaust on myself and that is dirt under my nails.

It does seem the C5 guys have a bad wrap. Mainly, it seems to be the younger owners that may not know some of the traditions of owning the car. Or maybe it's b/c they want to be a-holes, and just drive around thinkin they're a badass...

But, those C5 owners aren't the only ones who think they're exempt from the wave...i've passed numerous, C1 and C3 owners on the road, and waved and they look @ you like :eyerole :eek ...oh well, that just makes them look like a poser, imo. Own the car, love the feeling of it, and respect the traditions...:drink since there is no wave face, that will have to do lol

Ignorant futhermuckers

I think some vette owners (of all generations) just plain don't know about the wave. I wave at every vette I see and while a lot of people wave back, some people look at you like you are crazy:crazy I'm not a nut...OK, maybe a vette nut. I saw a bunch out today (a few car shows going on) and got snubbed by a C5, C3 and a C1, but had a few C3s, 4s & 5s wave back. Go figure!
--Drew:w

Your rant echoes my feelings sometimes. There are some great C5 owners out there. And there's some who got one 'cuz they could afford it...

But that's like life -- there's some folks who got class, and others who ain't got no class whatsoever. And money (or lack of it) has nothing to do with it!

It is not just C5 owners. I have waved to C2, C3, and C4 owners and some don't wave back. Same with some C5 owners. I say if you own a Vette you should know and abide by the traditions. There are traditions for a reason and we need to keep them going. No one Vette owner is above the rest. We all love our Vettes and must keep the tradition alive.

Damn right!!! And it's crappy being a young'n and being able to drive a vette sometimes. B/c when i wave, its usually @ guys who are @ least 10+ years older than i am (i'm 19 btw) and they seem to be like "who's this kid..." but for the most part, in our fairly small town, most of the vette owners know each other, so we all know who it is thats waving. It's just sad that some people ruin the tradition for those who follow it so diligently (i'm not a spelling B chap) :w (didn't see the wave earlier...)

Same ol story.... The generation of vette has no bearing on who does or doesn't wave!! I had a 1962 in 1968 for 3 years. I just got back into a 02 Vette in May of this year. I wave to every Vette and so do my kids (when I let them ride, lol). Yes, some C5's don't wave back; but some older Vettes don't either. Does that mean every person in a C5 or earlier is a snob?? I don't think so. I love every year and perhaps if we all continue to WAVE to each other, these individuals will eventually "get it!". Don't stereotype individuals.

i agree

first of all lety me say, nice car, though i would choose a C5 or C6 over an older one, i still love the older ones and would take one if the opportunity arrose. and by no chance would i ever look down on a older vette or the owner. ALL VETTES KICK @$$!!!!!!

I agree 100% with you all. It just seems like a majoritiy of them non wavers are c5 owners, but I do NOT want to stereo type. There are people from all classes that don't wave. But I HAVE seen a couple c5 vettes around here that NEVER wave at the older vettes, yet they do wave at fellow C5 vettes. There are good people, bad people, and then there are C5 owners.... Completely joking on that last comment guys =P Keep the wave live and real....

And there are some great C3 owners, and their are some real jerks. Can't stereo type. Just seems like out in my area thats the way it is. I don't judge, I give EVERY vette an equal wave =P

Honestly, I think the demographic of a new Corvette buyer is much different than a used Corvette buyer... This is why 80%+ of new Corvettes are automatics and the 6-speed cars demand a higher resale because the used corvette buyer is typically a different person, and more likely to want a manual transmission... (yes, I know the 6-speed is an option on the C5)..... basically, the typical buyer of a C5 is in a different group than the C1-C4 buyers, and it shows by not only what they buy, but who they wave to and associate themselves with.... (yes there are exceptions to the rule, don't rip me apart too much, this is just my $.02 worth)

I also noticed that if a Vette driver is not waving he/she is probably in a C5, but I have had C4 drivers who don't return the wave either. Seems like C3 and on down drivers are more like myself, (age wise) and are really into cars, not just buying a ride.
vettepilot

Sometimes I mess up......

I take a different vehicle every two or three days. What is really funny is I will forget I am not driving one of the vettes, (I'll be in a camaro or an el camino) and I will wave at another vette person. I get the funniest look - but they usually return the wave. Then I realize I'm not in the right vehicle. :duh

Another note about the money thing. I don't make tons of money, however, I have enough cars (some of them high dollar collectables) that I could sell and buy myself four or five C5's. In my opinion, the reason to buy things should not be for "conspicuous consumption" (as Veblen puts it) it should be simply because you want that item. Just my opinion and 2 cents. :D

I wonder if there were similar discussions in the vette groups when the C4 was first introduced. You have a high performance, high dollar item that many will treat as a status symbol. As the car ages the ones that appreciate the cars will typically try to maintain the cars and keep that era alive.

But I am sure there are many vette owners out there that simply have no idea about what they are missing. They may have always wanted a vette (one they remember from their younger years) and have not been introduced to this facet of vette ownership.

My experience would indicate that the non-wavers are evenly spread over all models C3, C4 and C5. Now is it just they are being snobs, are unfriendly, or not paying attention to what or who is around them. I make it a point to always wave. The hard part is when you are on 4 lane highway with a wide median strip and you know Vette in the other direction will never see your friendly wave.
:wave
Tom

I just made a trip to Bowling Green, Clarksville, and returned to Enterprise. During that 6 day excursion I saw many Vettes across the median on I-65 and I-24, as well as 231 between Dothan and Montgomery. I waved at them all, most were looking and returned the Vette salute. Those that didn't return the wave seemed to be staring straight ahead and had no idea what was going on around them. Evidently conscienceness was not a state they travel in very often... LOL
Vettepilot

well then.... To all you non-wavers out there... The tribe has spoken... Hand in your tiki torches, you have been voted out of the tribe... We have spoken. Good-bye...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom