Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5's everyone wants to race

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
I'm putting this in the C5 section instead of the Roadkill section because I wouldn't race the idiot. I WANTED to... in the worst way. But the days I let someone else draw me into something I know is wrong are behind me... at least I held firm to that philosophy last night. Besides, my co-pilot would've killed me. ;squint:

So a friend and I were driving home last night in my C5 after dinner with 2 of my other friends. We were cruising along, having a nice conversation when suddenly I hear a racket next to me. This wasn't Corsa's or Borla's but sounded more like my dad's old pulpwood truck.

I look to my left and see an early 90's model Camaro pacing me. The thing looked like do-do and sounded worse. I looked straight ahead and tried to ignore him. He obviously thought he had something to offer because he kept goosing the accelerator, then he'd back off and pace me again. I was getting pretty annoyed but my co-pilot quietly said, please don't.

He alternated pulling ahead and then backing off to pace me for another mile and a half or so, until we both stopped at the last red light for 4 miles. He sat there and revved the engine a couple of times and it sounded like the old pulpwood truck more than ever... on a bad day. I sat there thinking, having this internal argument whether to launch or not to launch. Teach him a lesson, or let it go.

3.gif

Anyway, I resolved not to take the bait. I know what I've got, I know what it cost me and I know what it would cost me to wreck it, blow it up, or have it impounded for street racing. ;squint:

When the light changed, he popped the clutch and launched... at least what must be his definition of launch! WTH?!? I wasn't even racing him, though I admit I did accelerate a bit faster from the stop than I normally do, I by no means LAUNCHED. My racing experience is pretty much next to nil, but I've read a current thread running here where the guys talk about accelerating to redline something like 55 or 60 in first gear. This numbnuts wasn't even up to 60 by the time he shifted to third! He was running through the gears, the exhaust was roaring and popping and I was staying with him through his shift to third and I wasn't even trying.

Now to demonstrate how pitiful his performance was, my friend and co-pilot, who is NOT a gearhead and knows even less about cars than I do, said at the same time I did - THAT'S ALL HE'S GOT????

:boogie:boogie:boogie

We both broke up at the same time and laughed so hard that I thought I was going to have to pull over 'til I could get myself under control. I mean I laughed so hard my eyes teared up and my vision blurred. Co-pilot got serious for a moment and said OMG... I could've beat him in my Explorer and we lost it all over again. :rotfl

He kept accelerating and didn't back off anymore. I guess he thought he'd taught me a lesson... or thought he'd better not push his luck anymore with that POS. Whatever.

Anyway, it was the most fun I've had in a non-race in a lo-o-ong time.
Thank you, Mr. Camaro, for a very entertaining end to a pleasant evening.

:wJane Ann

Good story .I seldom take the bait .(seldom :D)

If I'm with my wife I pretend I haven't a clue as to whats going on.Then she leans over and says "I know what your thinking ":chuckle

Great story and isn't that how it goes most of the time with those who insist on trying to get a race? :L

That's the way to do it Jane Anne. What's even more fun is that after they are finished making themselves look stupid, point and laugh. They hate that. It would be even worse for a guy like that if it comes from a woman. :chuckle

I usually - usually - don't take the bait either. I've only done it twice actually. Both times were against ricers who simply needed to be taught a lesson as they wouldn't take a hint. Besides, I hate ricers.
;rice:r

Good story .I seldom take the bait .(seldom :D)

If I'm with my wife I pretend I haven't a clue as to whats going on.Then she leans over and says "I know what your thinking ":chuckle
And if you did,She would make you find SA Kettle deposit $40.00 and Repent!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
:D

XLR8 said:
This wasn't Corsa's or Borla's but sounded more like my dad's old pulpwood truck.

:boogie

Usually the ones that sound like that are the V6s... which, if true makes this even funnier. ;LOL

XLR8 said:
I look to my left and see an early 90's model Camaro pacing me. The thing looked like do-do and sounded worse.

Most of them don't look too good these days.

Many of the F bodies still on the road these days have more blemishes than Robert Davi. :chuckle

XLR8 said:
Now to demonstrate how pitiful his performance was, my friend and co-pilot, who is NOT a gearhead and knows even less about cars than I do, said at the same time I did - THAT'S ALL HE'S GOT????

Do you recognize this man- was he the driver???
spaceball.gif

Rusty Camaro Not Included... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
:chuckle

Street Racing

Always tempting.;)
Remo:cool

........... What's even more fun is that after they are finished making themselves look stupid, point and laugh. They hate that. It would be even worse for a guy like that if it comes from a woman. :chuckle ....................

Ouch :naughty:... I'll keep that in mind. :chuckle

:boogie
..............Many of the F bodies still on the road these days have more blemishes than Robert Davi. :chuckle................
:L

:LImagine how proud you would have felt after winning that race...........
I dunno... but I would have left him behind so fast I'd have missed the birdseye view of the whole performance. :L

And watching him damn near lose a race by himself was priceless. :boogie

Always tempting.;)
Yes, my Corvette Brother... that it is. :thumb

:boogie:boogieHappens to me all the time.I hardly ever bite,not here in Naples,cops every square foot!But funny story,just yesterday some 70y.r.old man downshifted his white c6 vert passed me in heavy traffic-wtf!:thumb

If they're in a little ricer mobile, I think it really irks them and makes me mad if you just laugh at them. :L

I haven't been challenged yet in my Z but they probably know better when they see the rear brake vents and side emblem that says Z06 405HP. :L

If they're in a little ricer mobile, I think it really irks them and makes me mad if you just laugh at them. :L

I haven't been challenged yet in my Z but they probably know better when they see the rear brake vents and side emblem that says Z06 405HP. :L

You'd think so, but... one day, some POS will try it. ;) :L

Super Speed Law now in effect for GA

Oh well, here goes the fun times on the back roads. 75 mph on two lanes roads or 85 on four lanes or 20 mph over the posted limited gets one a $200 surcharge added to usual fine. Plus a stamp of SUPERSPEEDER on the license. Bummer. Law takes effect today 1/1/10

You'd think so, but... one day, some POS will try it. ;) :L

I know and it's my job to stay prepared.:D

Went out today and made sure I drove the car a little spirited. Nothing like rowing through the gears. I didn't drive that fast, though, probably touched a high of 85 or so. BTW, speed limits in some parts of OK are 75 so I think I was within the threshold, right?:ugh

Some Things Are More Than What They Seem

Edmond....there are some ricer cars that deserve respect. Don't get involved with one of these. It will have your "Z" for lunch.
360226-main_Full.jpg

Edmond....there are some ricer cars that deserve respect. Don't get involved with one of these. It will have your "Z" for lunch.
360226-main_Full.jpg

There is a difference between ricer and sportscar. Sportscar is sportscar regardless of brand. Ricer is the little car with the coffee can muffler. :thumb

360226-main_Full.jpg

Great point Remo!

;squint:

Sounds like another thread... a "what could smoke a Vette" thread- complete with pictures... listing the make, model, and year of the 'dangerous' vehicle as well as what Vettes it would likely smoke.

This is the time in the thread where I ask 6 Shooter to start it off and post images.

:thumb

On any given day there is always someone faster...Don Gartlits

There is a difference between ricer and sportscar. Sportscar is sportscar regardless of brand. Ricer is the little car with the coffee can muffler. :thumb

Exactly and add to it the Erector Set wing.

Jane Ann, you have more "self control" than I. It's true that I don't really enter into every race that I'm challenged (especially in the Vette), but I'd have had a hard time not "nailing it" for the first couple hundred feet or so. Case in point, I was driving home in my wife's 09' CTS last night when challenged by a "low budget" rice rocket. Keep in mind the CTS is NO racecar but that direct injected V-6 will surprise a lot of people. Anyway, we were sitting at a red light with both lanes joining together just after the intersection. I was listening to his "tuna can muffler" throughout our wait for the light to turn green. When it did, I nailed it. Funny thing is there was no tire spinning or deep throated carbs to hear and I'm not sure a cop would've even known we were racing. :boogie Heck, I'm not even sure I exceeded the speed limit........ok, maybe I did just a little.:chuckle Funny thing is that it took my opponent a long time to catch up to me after the run was over. He had to tailgate me for a little while to show me that he'd caught up. Just don't tell my wife that I was racing in HER car!:chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom