Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C5's In The Snow

Since We're Talking About Snow

C6's shouldn't be driven in snow either.
Remo:cool
275313_max.jpg

C6's shouldn't be driven in snow either.
275313_max.jpg

I see the meds are creating a certain delerium in Remo. Must consult DRTH VTR about appropriate adjustment...

-Patrick

Remo has already exceeded the maximum recommended dose. His dosage is enough to drop an elephant dead in his tracks. His dosage is a testament to human endurance. But then is Remo human?...:chuckle

I love this thread. LOL.

Not a C5 but....

I remember the early 90's I was taking a course and a friend that I drove was a Corvtte FANATIC. We saw a ZR1 in traffic during a snow "storm" (I quote storm as here in Toronto we don't really get snow and any at all is hysterically called a "STOORRRM" as Torontonians are the worst winter drivers on Earth.) and he starts in on how disgusting he found it whoile MY reaction was "Right on, I respect aguy who DRIVES his car!"

Best part for me was my friend finally stopped for a minute ragging on ME for driving my car in the snow. (1951 Chev.)

"Driveway Queen"

Well here's the answer to what appears to be a rugged winter here in
New England. 11.5 HP 2-stag with a 28"auger. Sealed beam headlight and
heated handle grips. Lowered on stock runners with 0.5" clearance, Ariens
grey powder coated steel wheels. Only driven in the snow.

2004067025882327017_rs.jpg

That's the funniest looking lawn mower I have ever seen. :chuckle

Stay safe up there.

Well here's the answer to what appears to be a rugged winter here in
New England. 11.5 HP 2-stag with a 28"auger. Sealed beam headlight and
heated handle grips. Lowered on stock runners with 0.5" clearance, Ariens
grey powder coated steel wheels. Only driven in the snow.
11528dle.jpg

Will you be driving your C5 in the snow this winter?
I didn't intend on driving mine in the snow, but got caught last Sunday in a spontaneous light dusting. Here in the Seattle area the hills are steep and I can tell you that that my 'vette is not going in the snow again! It was scary enough for me to drive it to the closest friends house and leave it in their driveway. The DIC kept saying 'Traction Control', 'Stability Control', 'ABS' the entire time I was trying to get it to a safe place. All with about 1" of snow on the ground. I'll take my Chevy 4X4 out if I need to go someplace in the snow because I know the back end won't swing around on me so easily

Schmaltzr, That sounds familiar, I'm sure someone with a degree in winter driving will chime in, but to me, Vette's are useless in the snow(I've had 6 of them). Besides beating the car up getting from point A to point B, your paying thru the nose for insurance, I lay mine up 3 mos. (Winter) and to insure both is less than a Grand. If a vette is your only means of transportation, maybe you should consider a beater, you would save on insurance on the Vette and have a nice car for the springtime................Just my .02

A little advanced warning for you brave east coast winter driving C5er's.
I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you've got those chains on.

Well here's the answer to what appears to be a rugged winter here in New England. 11.5 HP 2-stag with a 28"auger. Sealed beam headlight and heated handle grips. Lowered on stock runners with 0.5" clearance, Ariens grey powder coated steel wheels. Only driven in the snow.

Meds, Remo! Meds! Winter doesn't officially begin until next week. You need to start pacing yourself. Get back to your regimine!

(Or do what I'm doing, and take a cruise to Hawaii in January)
:D

-Patrick

I didn't intend on driving mine in the snow, but got caught last Sunday in a spontaneous light dusting. Here in the Seattle area the hills are steep and I can tell you that that my 'vette is not going in the snow again! It was scary enough for me to drive it to the closest friends house and leave it in their driveway. The DIC kept saying 'Traction Control', 'Stability Control', 'ABS' the entire time I was trying to get it to a safe place. All with about 1" of snow on the ground. I'll take my Chevy 4X4 out if I need to go someplace in the snow because I know the back end won't swing around on me so easily

I experienced exactly the same thing when I got caught in a snowstorm in January, 2004. It was a true white-knuckle experience. Even with the almost constant stream of warning chimes, I was doing okay until a jack-knifed semi up ahead on the road closed the interstate. When I stopped in that line with all those cars, all the momentum I had got cancelled out. No momentum.

It's the only time I've ever had to have my Corvette towed. The lesson was learned quite well that day.

-Patrick

I prefer Cancun in February, but I'm not sure Remo can wait that long. So . . .:drink

Actually, my cruise to Hawaii in January will extend into February. Sailing from San Diego, you see. ;)

-Patrick

Sailing from San Diego, you see. ;)

-Patrick

Patrick, I'd be glad to drive down to the docks & wave goodbye. With the top down of course. :w:Steer

p.s. it was 67 degrees here yesterday. :beer

Patrick, I'd be glad to drive down to the docks & wave goodbye. With the top down of course. :w:Steer

p.s. it was 67 degrees here yesterday. :beer

Now that would be a cool bon-voyage sight: a bunch of Corvettes at the San Diego Cruise Ship Terminal Pier, owners waving or honking their horns, just as the ship prepares to sail to tropical Pacific waters.
:D

-Patrick

Snow?......No Problem

A little something for you guys that feel the need to drive a
Corvette in the snow.

26aee1733c9f9cc72ca881ee23f1b310--1--MVC06JPG--large.jpg

Have you ever been in a multiple car pile-up?

I experienced exactly the same thing when I got caught in a snowstorm in January, 2004. It was a true white-knuckle experience. Even with the almost constant stream of warning chimes, I was doing okay until a jack-knifed semi up ahead on the road closed the interstate. When I stopped in that line with all those cars, all the momentum I had got cancelled out. No momentum.

It's the only time I've ever had to have my Corvette towed. The lesson was learned quite well that day.

-Patrick

I know the most scared I have ever been is when I was driving my wifes Camry in an instant ice storm. I've never been in an ice storm here in the Seattle area, because they are rare, but we were returning from the ocean in January and the rain froze to the freeway. Fortunately I had studs on all four tires. The idiots around me were passing me like I was standing still and they weren't even slowing down until they went sideways up the guard rails at 60mph. I was doing 30-35 and leaving lottttttts of room. Fortunately we were able stop before we hit anybody. Then WHAM! someone rear ended us and hurt the people in my back seat. An hour and a half later the snow was a foot deep and people were tailgating me in heavy traffic while I was driving to the hospital. That was a real white nuckle trip. - Ron

A corvette send off for Patric sounds like a fun idea. Just let us know when and I'll be there honking my horn, with the top down of course. After that we can take a group photo of all the cars with the Star of India as a background. :CAC

A corvette send off for Patric sounds like a fun idea. Just let us know when and I'll be there honking my horn, with the top down of course. After that we can take a group photo of all the cars with the Star of India as a background. :CAC

You know, the more I consider this, the more I think a San Diego gathering of CAC members, in the midst of winter for a photo op is a great idea! Can you and Pinky reach out to others in the San Diego area? I think this could be really cool. A mid-winter gathering of Corvette enthusiasts, the perfect tonic for our friends in northern and eastern locations sidelined by January, to show them their wait is nearly over.

Zagger and Pinky, I'm sending you a PM.
:)

:w
-Patrick

A mid-winter gathering of Corvette enthusiasts, the perfect tonic for our friends in northern and eastern locations sidelined by January, to show them their wait is nearly over.:w
-Patrick

Oh yeah - this will be real helpful for us Northern snowbound members.

Well Zag has the white 'vert, I've got the red one - CALLING ALL SAN DIEGANS WITH A BLUE C5 'VERT!!!!!

p.s. to Remo: you just hush up! Mr. Pinky was telling me all about some show he had seen about Lingenfelter Corvettes...in that lethal combination of awe and longing in his voice...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom