Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Front Plate Idea

B

Buster1

Below are some old Eagle Talon pictures. I used to drive one of these (laugh now) before I could afford anything faster. Hey, it WAS a turbo... Well my next car was a C5. Anyway, the Talon, if you look closely, has a similar problem in nose design as the C6. There is no place to put a front plate, and most of the nose is either hood or intake area.

Well Eagle fixed their dilemma by selling the car with an optional "L bracket" that attached to the underside of the intake area, came forward and bent 90 degrees up...providing an ingeneous but horrible looking way to mout your front plate. I lived in TX for a bit and was faced with using this unsightly thing.

I fear that history will repeat itself with this "L bracket" and we may see it again in the C6. Yuck. :puke

Here's one with the plate attached. Yikes!:cry

Just mount it back inside the opening and use a "spring" mount so that when there is air flow it lays down. No air flow, it stands up. Here in Texas they require a front plate but make no specifications as to how or where it must be mounted, so......

tom...

That's a great idea. I'm actually moving to TX in about 4 months. How are the cops about not running a front plate at all?

Buster1 said:
That's a great idea. I'm actually moving to TX in about 4 months. How are the cops about not running a front plate at all?

I lived in Texas for 3 year between 98 and 01 and never mounted my front plate on either Vette. Never got stopped for it either. I made sure that the front plate was in the car and readily available for me to place in the front windshield if I did get stopped.

With that said, I have at least 2 friends that did get stopped for no front license plate. Both were given warning tickets - that was the only reason they were pulled over.

I've also heard of the officer adding the 'missing front plate' citation to other violations - thus running of the cost of the 'speeding,' etc., ticket.

That's my 2 cents on it. I live in OK now - no front plate.

plategx.jpg

Plate not to proper scale in illustration above. I don't think a plate will fit in the opening of the grille. Bad design. :)

That is still the best yet though. Regardless its going to be a pain in the a@@ and look like Sh@@

I agree, the more I look at the new pics, the front opening looks just a bit too small for a plate. This is getting worse by the minute... :(

I wonder if the Fed Govt or Local Govt would support a "no front plate" subscription fee? You pay a yearly dues or something and don't have to run a front plate. Get pulled over, no problem, show your "no front plate required" card!! :Steer Could help solve the deficit!!

That is too logical and makes way too much sense for the government to ever do it!!! :L :L :L

Tom Peters (chief of styling for the C6) was a guest at the CC of Michigan awards baquet Saturday night. The question of the front license plate was posed to him, and though I didn't hear the full answer, he did confirm that GM will supply a bracket for a front license plate.

Chris

I think it's a major issue

I know GM wants to attract new buyers, but they also have to get current C5 owners to trade up to the new model. We all have our concerns, but I think the look of the C6 with a front plate will be so bad that it will turn off a substantial number of buyers. The new BMW models have styling that has kept many people from buying and some are even buying used instead of new. I don't think this will be that bad, but it's serious.

Texas Experience

Hi,

We have lived in San Antonio for the past 8 1/2 years, and neither my wife or I have ever been stopped by police, sheriff, constable, etc. for not having a front plate. We have both been stopped in town for speeding, but the subject of "no front plate" never came up. However, I got stopped for speeding in Kinney County, Tx (Southwest TX) by a state trooper who did write me a warning for no front plate,...... Absolutely NO sense of humor.... :nono

I have money down on a C6, and when it gets here, I have no intention of ruining the lines of the car with a front plate, but as with our other cars, I will keep the second plate in the car.....

Tell you the truth, I think most cops agree that it screws up the looks of an otherwise nice lookin' ride, so they ignore it...... :cool

Since this is the first production Corvette to not have retractable headlights since 1962 maybe it will also be the first Corvette since to need "bumperettes" (to hold the license plate) like the '62's had :)

No front Plates Ever

I have never used a front plate in MD, despite the law. It really ruins the looks of most later model Vettes. In 11 years I have never been stopped by LE for a tag violation in this state; they have better things to do. If, however, you are stopped for a moving violation or something else more serious, LE may well include the plate vilation

Grill Opening

ROCKETBLOCK said:
Plate not to proper scale in illustration above. I don't think a plate will fit in the opening of the grille. Bad design. :)

Does anyone have a mesurment of the opening? I like the spring idea myself.
If you look hard I have mounted my plate under the front grill so that I could have the center grill on my 73. I have not had any problems with the law as yet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom