Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6-Front Plate mandatory in California?

B

Bills03Coupe

I just heard a rumor that California has just passed a law that all new cars must be delivered with a place to mount the front license plate. And with that being the case, all new C6's will be delivered with the UGLY front plate holder PRE-mounted on the car! Any truth to this?

The law in Kalifornia is all cars must have front plates ( been like that forever) as for the mount Thats GMs reponsiblity on how it does that!

I'm aware the law requires a front plate in California. The rumor I've heard is the NEW law requires the car be delivered with the mounting point INSTALLED on the car AT THE FACTORY, taking it out of the hands of the dealer and new owner!

Bills03Coupe said:
I'm aware the law requires a front plate in California. The rumor I've heard is the NEW law requires the car be delivered with the mounting point INSTALLED on the car AT THE FACTORY, taking it out of the hands of the dealer and new owner!
Thr front plate is also the law in Washington. I bought one of those plastic covers from Ecklers and then had it painted to match the color of my car. I had the middle area of the cover masked-off so you can still read the plate. It looks pretty good and I think provides the best solution for the front plate requirement.

:cool KoolBlu

Bills03Coupe said:

I dont know it being a "new law" but it has to meet state laws for the car to be sold in Calif.

P.S. thats and other resons is why we are leaving the crazy state!

From what I hear, GM ships the cars with the plate holder, but the dealers have to attach it. The latest rumor (from Corvette Conti) is that GM will ship the plate on ALL cars REGARDLESS if your state requires it or not.

Talk to your dealer and if he's cool, he'll not attach it and let you decide. Here in TX, front plates are required, but my dealer said he would not attach it unless I asked.

I just spoke with Rick Conti in person (800) 96-VETTE. He gave me these items of information (log on to his website at www.corvetteconti.com)
The specific page referenced in this thread is his C6 News page here...
http://www.corvetteconti.com/catalog/catalog.asp?category=123&itemIndex=1 Search for the text string "front plate" and you'll find the info.

1). He confirmed that the VK3 option IS included with EVERY 2005 Corvette purchase, UNMOUNTED ON THE CAR. He also specifically said that you will not be billed for it, which is confusing to me, since it's listed as an (approximately) $14 option.

2) It is up to the dealer who preps your car, NOT GM, whether or not it IS mounted to your car before you pick it up (I and Rick both suggest you call your prep/delivery dealer, and follow thru to make sure it doesn't wind up on your car if you don't want it mounted!)

3) As to whether the CA law referenced in this thread exists or not (I do not know) and, assuming it did exist, if there are any penalties to a dealer in that state which does not install/mount the plate, remains to be seen.

Bills03Coupe said:
This I find very hard to believe. How can one state pass a law, let alone enforce it, that requires a company, manufacturing cars in another state, to do anything?

:confused

DDLS1 said:
Done every day................ever hear of a car with "California emmissions"
The "libs" in this state are out of control!!!

I've paid the front plate tax (fine) several times. In CT we had 2 plates, changed to
one plate and now it's 2 again. Whenever they ask "where is your front plate" I just say "it's in the back".

Fine for no front plate?

I bought a 92 without the front plate about 3 months ago. What's the fine for no front plate in CA?

some states will fine you ( around $95-$125) no points though and then make you put the plate on....yuk....other states, I believe california, will not make you put the plate on, if caught, they'll be happy to just keeping giving you the ticket for the cash:(

corvetteconti said:
some states will fine you ( around $95-$125) no points though and then make you put the plate on....yuk....other states, I believe california, will not make you put the plate on, if caught, they'll be happy to just keeping giving you the ticket for the cash:(
Agreed. Around here in the northern VA area, they are sticklers. :(

It will be interesting to see how the European model deals with it as front plates are not only manatory but much larger than yours. Up untill very recently in the UK the only way was to use a motorcycle plate with sqeezed up 50mm digits instead of the standard car size of 80mm and there is also legislation on the spacing. Mine came with the 80mm digits but sqeezed into a US sized plate and doesn't look good. Had it measured lots of times, can you believe cops always had a small scale in their "tool kit". Recently the rules have been relaxed a bit and you can get off if there is nowhere to fit the full sized plate but it depends on which county you happen to be in as to the interpretation of the rules.

The other alternative here is to by a vanity plate but these are not issued at the drop of a hat with anything you like on it. You can buy a new one which must conform to the current spec, two letters, two numbers, space then three letters, which usually just end up looking stupid, with people using 5's for S's, 6's for G's and so on. As far as I am aware vanity plates are not available in mainland Europe.

The good short ones are all numbers that have been previously issued and cost a small fortune, it wouldn't be out of the way to pay $50,000 or more for something good and at auction they can go for a fortune. Here is an example, i ran my initials on one site and got this one, multiply by 1.8 for dollar price !!! something ending with VET would most likely be more expensive as it is a proffesion and people do buy them.

5 JHL £9740 Enquire
blue_textarrow.gif
View

Years ago you would see cars like XKE's with a stick on vynal plate on the front of the hood but I don't think that is allowed any more.

J.

Does someone have a picture of the "final" design for the front plate holder that they could post. For obvious reasons, all the auto testers photograph the car without the front plate or holder, and I never was able to determine how the great plate debate turned out. Maybe someone on Tom Peters' design team can tell us how the raptor fighter jet solved this problem (o.k., I apologize and will drop it---really, I am good guy, just couldn't resist that one.)

--Chris Kennedy

Rob said:
Agreed. Around here in the northern VA area, they are sticklers. :(
Hi Rob,
I appreciate your support over the years....yeah, in Ohio we had a bill that almost passed, would have saved the state 1 or 2 MIL, but they want to have an easy way of nailing us with the lazer in front....:r

corvetteconti said:
Hi Rob,
I appreciate your support over the years....yeah, in Ohio we had a bill that almost passed, would have saved the state 1 or 2 MIL, but they want to have an easy way of nailing us with the lazer in front....:r
Hi Rick,

Thank you.

Yes, around here, if it's not the lazer, it's the photo-cameras. :(

Chris,
Look at the post by "Longtimer" posted on this forum (GM-Here is what we think of the License plate mount) and you'll see what we're talking about!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom