Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 Quality?

More than C5? Too bad. You probably mean quality.

--My first impression of the C5 was that the interior felt like a Caddy or an Olds. I am not
used to having so much room. The C-4 fits, tight, like a glove, more like an F-16 cockpit.

sothpaw said:
More than C5? Too bad. You probably mean quality.

--My first impression of the C5 was that the interior felt like a Caddy or an Olds. I am not
used to having so much room. The C-4 fits, tight, like a glove, more like an F-16 cockpit.

I agree...

When I drive my C4, I know my body isn't going to slide around in the seat.... the C5 has me sliding from the door to the center console. I have a lincoln for turns like that;LOL

jimxo said:
I own of three Lexus automobiles and I enjoy a well built car. The interior is where I spend all my time so I hope GM will deliver on the new C6.

It is human nature to want more. The vette now costs 50k+ and is being compared to "regular", mass produced cars with similar price tags. The low production Corvette's bill of materials includes some rather exotic and expensive items to minimize weight and maximize performance. "Regular" cars don't carry costs for titanium this and magnesium that. How can we realistically demand high HP, state of the art engines, world class handling and brakes, JD Powers class leading quality, pricing in the $50k area, plus Lexus or Audi or Cadillac level interior? Certainly we should expect seats that won't have wear holes in the bosters at 20-30k miles, but as for the rest of the interior - you get what you pay for and you PAY for what you get.

Yah, all of us spend our driving time in the interior of the car, but I bought the car for the performance. IF upgrading the interior adds significantly to the price, I might not be able to buy the car to get the performance. If the vette boys can improve the interior through design and piggy backing some XLR features and not add costs, then I'm all for it! But don't increase my C6 price by a grand or two to lexize the interior. KEEP PRICE WHERE IT IS.

If Lexus and all those other companies can have nice interiors in that same price range then I know GM can upgrade at least to where they use to be at a reasonable cost without increasing price.

Re: Re: C6 Quality?

LongTimer said:
It is human nature to want more. The vette now costs 50k+ and is being compared to "regular", mass produced cars with similar price tags. The low production Corvette's bill of materials includes some rather exotic and expensive items to minimize weight and maximize performance. "Regular" cars don't carry costs for titanium this and magnesium that. How can we realistically demand high HP, state of the art engines, world class handling and brakes, JD Powers class leading quality, pricing in the $50k area, plus Lexus or Audi or Cadillac level interior? Certainly we should expect seats that won't have wear holes in the bosters at 20-30k miles, but as for the rest of the interior - you get what you pay for and you PAY for what you get.

Yah, all of us spend our driving time in the interior of the car, but I bought the car for the performance. IF upgrading the interior adds significantly to the price, I might not be able to buy the car to get the performance. If the vette boys can improve the interior through design and piggy backing some XLR features and not add costs, then I'm all for it! But don't increase my C6 price by a grand or two to lexize the interior. KEEP PRICE WHERE IT IS.

The way I see it every car is mass produced and weight has everything to do with performance but then we have to explain cars like the last generation Toyota Supra. That car was priced in the low 40k's and was similar weight and equal in performance as the current C5 but look at how well the interior has held up. Look at any Jap car from 10 years ago like the Accord or a Lexus LS400 and you will see long term wear is minimal.

Just my 0.02

Be careful here though because now we're starting to compare Lexus to a Corvette and both could not be any more unrelated than apples and oranges.

I don't know....I'm kind of standing on the sidelines with this issue. I take a look at the interior of my 1990. It's ok. I don't have any serious complaints about it other than the fact that the damn frame rails are too high making exiting the vehicle a bit of a chore - especially if you can't open the door all the way (I'm 5'10 and 185 lbs of muscle). The radio rattles in the dashboard when it gets cold out (known problem) and the quality of the carpeting is so-so.

On the other hand it serves the purpose of function well.

I sat in a 2003 Z06 at the dealer lot and I was extremely impressed with the quality of the interior. Yes, there were a few areas where I feel that the quality engineers took the cheap way out and used a little too much plastic in some areas, but for the most part, it was a MAJOR improvement over my '90.

I have also rode in a 2002 BMW 330i and I was blown away by the quality of the interior of that car. Nice and tight - not cheap, but not over-posh as well.

Personally, I want an interior that isn't pasted together, and sorry to all of you Viper owners, but if you REALLY want to complain about a cheap interior, go sit in a pre-2003 Viper.

I want an interior that has some nice quality accents: some leather, brushed aluminum etc., but above all else, I want the function to be the first priority and form and quality to be second.

The last thing to keep in mind is: if you want a nice, plush interior, you're going to pay for it in terms of added weight.

In most cases, a plush interior comes with extra sound-deadening material, heavy leather power seats and options etc. All of that adds on to the car's overall weight.

So the dilemma becomes: do you want a purpose built sports car that is designed and engineered to completely tantalize your driving senses, or do you want a car that pays most attention to interior quality giving the driver the impression that he is engulfed in smooth, creamy, butteryness.

At this point, my feeling is, if you want a high quality interior with all the foo-foo frills and buttery silk, go for a Cadillac. Just my own personal two cents for whatever they're worth. :)

Re: Re: Re: C6 Quality?

jimxo said:
The way I see it every car is mass produced and weight has everything to do with performance but then we have to explain cars like the last generation Toyota Supra. That car was priced in the low 40k's and was similar weight and equal in performance as the current C5 but look at how well the interior has held up. Look at any Jap car from 10 years ago like the Accord or a Lexus LS400 and you will see long term wear is minimal.

Just my 0.02

Maybe you've seen some better examples than I. One of my neighbors has a Supra Turbo that has the clear coat dull and peeling in places, the headlights are an opaque yellow and the interior is worn and the leather cracked.

But this is NOT my point. That Supra interior is plain and simple, not in the same "luxury" class as the Lexus or even the Audi. We should expect some better quality leather for our seats, maybe a little bright work hear and there - that won't cost much either. But this is a sports car - not an MB S series or an LS430, or a Seville. You want that level of interior - buy an XLR. I want my money spent on performance, not an air conditioned glove box.

Oh, I guess I need to look at a 10 year old accord - can't speak to that car - no knowledge base.

I like feeling like I am sitting in the cockpit of a plane. I dont think i would want a luxurious interior that a caddy or lexus might carry. That is why I kind of like the interiors of the C4 with the digital dash. I like having lots of switches and buttons. If they could incorporate that with a little nicer quality that would be great. I like the current dash cluster on the C5...its the radio and the climate control that looks like it was made by fisher price

There again I say the preformance and handling is going to be there because that's what Corvette is all about but you can still have that cockpit flavor with a little less plastic and upgraded leather thus satifying the bulk of the people because as you know you can't please everyone. Just look at the Jags interior there's nothing wrong with style even if it is a sports car just because you like to go fast doesn't mean you have to seat in mediocrity while doing it.

Lil' Red said:
There again I say the preformance and handling is going to be there because that's what Corvette is all about but you can still have that cockpit flavor with a little less plastic and upgraded leather thus satifying the bulk of the people because as you know you can't please everyone. Just look at the Jags interior there's nothing wrong with style even if it is a sports car just because you like to go fast doesn't mean you have to seat in mediocrity while doing it.

I doubt that you and I are REALLY very far away from each other, but you keep using cars that are NOT in the market segment of the vette to compare. The Jag has a very classy interior and it is a very mediocre sports car. Even in its XKR version the C5 puts it in the weeds for about $20-$25k less. I don't want to see that price gap closed just to have a comparable interior. The C6 will probably have a tasteful interior makeover with no wood, but some bright work around the guages and a few other places. It needs to look better than the Boxter, the SLK and the 350Z.

I dont want a C6 that feels like a Lexus or Caddy but I do want a fit and finish similar to a Accord or IS300. Weight will not increase with high quality leather or a dash board that "feels" good.

I think the cheap plastic look that the C5 has is any easy fix if GM wants to step up but the raw materials that go into the car must be improved. It's not just about Corvettes it's about GM's old habits and those are hard to break.

I will admit that GM cars rank a 10 in comparision to Ford or Dodge. I drove a new GM pick up recently and was in shocked on how well the truck drove. The quality was outstanding I really thought I was in a Lexus. GM is the only hope we have against the Japaneese.

We aren't that far apart, I'm in no way comparing performace I was just saying the interior could be beefed up to even half that and still keep the price points down I don't believe there's 20 to 25k worth of interior work in a Jag so a polished interior in a Vette is attainable if they reach for it. They need to look at the Audi TT's interior I love that baseball glove leather they offer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom