Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 top still makes noise

Noise in top

I have an '06 coupe. I took it in for the recall on the top. They injected it with foam. I had no separation. Recently, for the first few minutes I drive, the is a noise coming from the roof. Is the foam injection the cause or is this a common problem with coupes? What is the fix? Any suggestions?

I had the same issue and my dealer adjusted the back pins and gave the latches and pins a lube job and now no noise.

It might not be the attachment, but rather the roof panel coming loose. The adhesive is an expanding type, and can force the top to lift and separate.
The first thing I noticed was noise coming back (creaks) and then I saw the side weatherstripping was partly under the edge of the roof panel, because the roof was lifting. The roof has since been replaced, and I am hoping that will be the end of the problem.
If your top seems securely latched but still creaks, you may have a dealer-caused, recurring problem.

I just had my C6 top replaced by the dealer. I first noticed the squeaking, which basically sounded like the adhesive was peeling away from the inside fabric panel. I then noticed that the painted top was coming away from the frame near the rear edge, which was lifting slightly above the weather stripping. It was time to take the car in. I had already taken it in for this recall back in '05, but at the time nothing was wrong.

The dealer tried to reseal or re-glue the top, but they called back 2 days later and said it wasn't going to last. They told me they ordered a new top and painted it to match. Not that I didn't trust the dealer, but earlier I did make a very small mark on the inside of my old panel to see if it was just the same panel they were going to hand back to me. It wasn't! The brand new panel fit, a little more snugly than the old one. The dealer said it was a new panel, but I did notice that the round velvet stickers to protect the sun visor's seemed just a little worn, like they were brushed up against a visor before. Hmm...not a big deal. No cost to me and it did the trick!

The dealer tried to reseal or re-glue the top, but they called back 2 days later and said it wasn't going to last. They told me they ordered a new top and painted it to match. Not that I didn't trust the dealer, but earlier I did make a very small mark on the inside of my old panel to see if it was just the same panel they were going to hand back to me. It wasn't! The brand new panel fit, a little more snugly than the old one. The dealer said it was a new panel, but I did notice that the round velvet stickers to protect the sun visor's seemed just a little worn, like they were brushed up against a visor before. Hmm...not a big deal. No cost to me and it did the trick![/quote]
You might be able to get your old top also--I kept mine.
c4c5 says the new top is a different plastic for better adhesion, so they have to order a new top if the old one comes loose.

One fix for the popping is to wrap the four pins on the targa top with shrink tubing. So far so good for mine. It may return once the shrink tubing gets worn out.

I have a 2007 coupe. I have been reading about the recall on the 05 and 06 tops. I have not seen anything about the 07's. My top is not only making a really bad sound, but it is also leaking. I have taken the car to 2 different shops as well as contacted Chevrolet Customer Service, and no one has fixed the car yet. The first shop replaced the guides, and the second one was supposed to be ordering a new top, whick is on national back-order. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem with the 07 and if so how do you fix the problem?

There must be a solution

I took my car to the dealer again 3 time.Thi time the agency installed spacers in the car.NOW its worse then before.The top sounds like its cracking and I expect any minute I will see the the stars at night.There has to be some sort of solution short of epoxy the top in permenantly.Rod

I took the Z06 back to the dealer who promised a fix in one visit, but just diagnosed the loose top and said he would now order parts to fix it...
Anyway, another day in the shop and it is back on the road with no more creaking. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones whose repair is done right the first time. At least now I won't be liable if it does come off (GM seems to be taking a risky approach with this, since somebody could get killed by a flying top).

Now I need to do the 180 MPH test to see how firmly attached it is!
Gersh

Since when did they start putting removable roofs on Z06?

Just lucky!

I had to have mine replaced last July.

So far I have had Zip problems with the new top. They did say something about a different material used in the manufacture of the replacement. Does any one know of a change in the composition of the tops?

I bought an '08 Z51 in early December, and it periodily drives me nuts with creaks and groans from the roof. It is coming from the driver front corner of the roof. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet since it is a real pain in the butt for me to take the car in to have it serviced.

After reading this tread I think I will try some lube again. Thanks for the info.

While not happy with the roof making so much noise I am happy to say that I really love driving this car. I have put a little over 7000 miles on it since December 8th. Rain or shine this is one sweet ride.

Bob

Roof Noise

Dealer replaced my top twice. Once because it was delaminating and again due to the popping noise the new top was making. They didn't replace the hardware on either replacement. Two weeks ago they replaced the hardware and added the "C" clips that are discussed in this forum. I'm happy to say that there hasn't been any noise so far.

Rich

Has it been determined that it's a problem with the 07 year. I haven't put my hard top on since I had the car...1 year now. I use my glass top and it does creak slightly, but not too bad.
Tony

Dealer replaced my top twice. Once because it was delaminating and again due to the popping noise the new top was making. They didn't replace the hardware on either replacement. Two weeks ago they replaced the hardware and added the "C" clips that are discussed in this forum. I'm happy to say that there hasn't been any noise so far.

Rich

What kind of "C" clips and where?

This is too important to....

The creaking roof problem has gone on too long. It is very annoying and negatively impacts many of us and the enjoyment of our C6s. It is a trivial problem that GM has allowed to fester too long. GM should have analyzed this situation and issued a bulletin regarding this simple fix years ago.

I am not clear on the etiquette, rules, and proper procedures regarding using info found on other forums. Please freely offer improvements to assist me in avoiding incorrect procedures.

I found what appears to be the final fix for this problem and -- because of the seriousness and longevity of this problem -- I want to identify a solution for us here on this great forum.:beer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A user named mrtoner on another site has found that the insertion of one e-clip adjacent to the side of the roller on each front latch will eliminate the creaking noises. It appears to me that it eliminates the lateral movement of the roller on its shaft, yet allows it to roll freely. Several guys have reported that after living with and attempting to resolve this problem, they tried this fix and it has eliminated all noise.

The fix requires purchase of a package of two 5/32" e-clips at a Lowes-type store. They come in a two-pack for about $1.43.

One e-clip is inserted on the shaft of each front latch. Insertion is easy if the top is removed and placed in its mounting brackets in the hatch area.

I hope this sharing of a truly genius idea and cooperation across sites amongst Corvette owners helps rid the world of creaky tops....:beer:pat:pat:pat

Can we get a picture of the e-clip installation?

I'm going to get some on the way home today and put then in as soon as the wife comes home in the '06.

The '08 is a vert and doesn't have the roof noise but the '06 damn sure does.

Thanks.

For what it is worth, had the latch noise on my '08 and tried the tubing (lasted for a while) and the lubes (not as long lasting as the tubing fix). Decided to try the c-clip solution and installed same 1000 miles ago. No noise since regardless of temperatures and road surface. It really worked and for $1.39 at Lowe's, super fix without the issues of a dealer visit. jm2cw!

:w save the wave!

I had to have mine replaced last July.

So far I have had Zip problems with the new top. They did say something about a different material used in the manufacture of the replacement. Does any one know of a change in the composition of the tops?
Read post # 18.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom