Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6 top still makes noise

Since installing the "E" or "C" clips mentioned here, my top has been quiet.

While at Bowling Green and the NCM for the Birthday Bash the last 4 days, GM was running a 'clinic' for buyers with issues. I noticed on their table a lot of roof latches and a couple of boxes with new latches. I asked Tadje what was going on. GM's fix for the roof pops and creaks is to install a new pair of front latch handles that have a 'higher' pre-load' on the locking roller. Basically, adding the "E" clip pre-loads the roller higher - which is what GM is doing with a slight redesign of the latch handles and rollers.

So, if you had been at the NCM on Friday or Saturday you could have had 2 new latches installed for free and they would have been happy to do it.

Wonder how many dealers understand what needs to be done?

Another brand new 2008 C6 with roof noise

Thanks for all of the posts, now I know I'm not the only one. My dealer has been given the link to this thread and hopefully my noise problem will be eliminated very soon. I think I will try all of the solutions: new front latches, "E" clips, and dealer adjustment of the back pins. Does anyone have detailed "E" clip installation instructions, perhaps with a photo of where to install them? Thank you all very much. :)

Thanks for all of the posts, now I know I'm not the only one. My dealer has been given the link to this thread and hopefully my noise problem will be eliminated very soon. I think I will try all of the solutions: new front latches, "E" clips, and dealer adjustment of the back pins. Does anyone have detailed "E" clip installation instructions, perhaps with a photo of where to install them? Thank you all very much. :)

check out post number 35 above - gives you the detail you need.

The E-clips seem to have done the job for me. I got in my car for the drive home one day and the roof creeked constantly. Did some research and found this thread, got the E-clips and the noise went away.

Jason

Thanks, Jason. I'll get the "E" clips tomorrow at Lowe's, which is next door to my Chevy dealer. Hopefully I will post a success story on Monday. Rick

If you have any questions on where to install them, let me know, I'll post a pic or two of their installation.

Jason

Thank you, I would appreciate greatly photos of where to install them. I'll stay on-line.
Rick

As promised, here is a pic of where I installed the E-clip. The red circle is the roller in the handle. I just pressed the clip between the roller and the inner edge of the bracket. Hope it helps, Rick. :upthumbs

Jason

Thank you very much, Jason. I got the photo on Saturday, bought Astroglide (cracked up my girlfriend) and the 5/32" "E" clips on Sunday, and installed them and did the lube Sunday noon. Used a pair of needle-nose pliers to get them fully seated. Initial test run: NO NOISE! The real test will be Monday afternoon after the car sits in 90 degree heat all day at work and I start to drive home. It has definitely been louder after being in the heat all day, so if it is quiet this afternoon, I can only scream SUCCESS! I'll let you know. --- Rick

SUCCESS! "E" clips work! No more noise!

Yesterday the car sat in the sun on a 90 degree day while at work. No noise whatsoever on the way home, even over bumps! Do the "E" clip repair! See the photo of where to install them in Jason's reply to my query. :beer

Yesterday the car sat in the sun on a 90 degree day while at work. No noise whatsoever on the way home, even over bumps! Do the "E" clip repair! See the photo of where to install them in Jason's reply to my query. :beer
I am glad the fix worked for you, Rick.

I got a call from GM last night. They wanted to know how I liked my new Corvette. I told them about the squeaking of the top. The guy didnt seem too surprised to hear about this issue. He did seem surprised about the E-clip solution though...

Jason

It really works

I am glad the fix worked for you, Rick.

I got a call from GM last night. They wanted to know how I liked my new Corvette. I told them about the squeaking of the top. The guy didnt seem too surprised to hear about this issue. He did seem surprised about the E-clip solution though...

Jason
Well,it goes to show you. GM knows about the problem,but doesn't care enough about it to correct the problem.Its a real shame .

Yes, it is a shame, especially since it cost $1.24 at my Lowe's, and in GM quantity it would probably cost 15 cents. Every dealer should automatically install the "E" clips before delivering any C6 coupe to a new buyer, if Bowling Green doesn't do it.

As a new member of Corvette Action Center, this will be the first place I turn with any other issues I may have. The value of the site was certainly proven to me!

Well,it goes to show you. GM knows about the problem,but doesn't care enough about it to correct the problem.Its a real shame .

Tuna mentioned earlier in this thread that GM was doing free retrofits on C6's at the NCM a few weeks ago. Apparently this issue has been going on since the C6's came out, so I am kind of surprised that it has taken this long for a resolution to come about, but it does appear that they do have a solution. I think the guy I talked to was more surprised about the ease of the solution, and not nessissarly the fact that there was a solution out there.

Jason

HI there,
Lets be very specific.
First, your changing the position on the actual roller, and for what?
A common symptom with many causes.

There are a number of PIs and TSBs for lift off panel noises.
The Eclip repair is due to the roller contacting the PIN.
Its a good fix for CERTAIN circumstances.
Correct inspection of the pin to roller contact area is critical.

Honestly, correct inspection is critical to an effective repair.
Allthebest, c4c5

c4c5:

Can you be a little more specific for me so I know what to ask my dealer to check and do? The "E" clips seem to have fixed my roof panel noise (see my post #50 above) but your caution above makes me want to be sure. My dealer has not advised me of any PI's (what's this?) or TSB's for my 2008 C6 Coupe.

Thank you very much for your assistance. Rick

If your vehicle is fixed, then no further action is required.
But keep in mind, there is always updates to service information from GM.
If it returns, let us know.
Allthebest, c4c5

Just picked up two E-clips at Lowes can't wait to install tonight!! Thanks for the tip.

Just picked up two E-clips at Lowes can't wait to install tonight!! Thanks for the tip.

Here's everything on the "E" clip and Astroglide procedures:

Astroglide: Read Posts #12 & 15 above.

"E" clips: (1) make sure that the "E" clips are 5/32", and not another size, which are often mixed in the bins as they were at my Lowe's. There is a link to a photo of the "E" clips at Post #37. Buy two pairs, it's easy to drop and lose one. (2) Review the excellent installation photo from Jason at Post #48, and review the explanation at Post #35. (3) My explanations are at Posts #49 & 50. (4) You will need a flashlight and a pair of needle-nosed pliers. (5) Take your top off and put it in the holding clips. (6) From behind each car seat, you can reach each roller and pin set quite easily. Seat the "E" clips initially with your fingers, and finish seating them with the needle-nosed pliers. Before you do any of this, read c4c5's post at Post #55 and make your own decision. If you have an '05 or '06 with other possible issues, you probably better read all of the Posts.

Then put your top on and go check it out!

Best of luck to all, Rick And :w Remember to Always Wave!

Good info

I will have over 27,000 miles on my 2008 Z51 since I got it in December. Needless to say I like to drive it.

Only a few things I didn't care for, and a couple of them are just learning curves on my part. I seem to have trouble driving an automatic after several years of manuals. I tend to get on the gas a little to much sometimes and the transmission drops into a lower gear than I really wanted. I'm used to just dropping one gear or so and hammering it with the manual in the Z28. So, I'm learning moderation. Also, I have learned to mash the button to go into "competative mode" when making a turn onto the highway from a dead stop. Nothing like having the car ignore your throttle demand just because you are in a hard spirited turn.

However, the one thing that really bothered me was the roof creaking. Who would have thought that 2 inexpensive E-clips could make so much differnce. My thanks to the orginator of this fix, and to the ones that brought it to my attention. Guess I need to check in more often.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom