Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C6Z BLOWS ENGINE @ HIGH RPM VIDEO

Dyno failure. Disengaged, nitrous pooled, then engaged, uneven pooling caused failure, parts of valves ejected. Motor was rebuilt by vendor at no cost to customer.

Dyno failure. Disengaged, nitrous pooled, then engaged, uneven pooling caused failure, parts of valves ejected. Motor was rebuilt by vendor at no cost to customer.
Yes, that is exactly what I just heard. HPE is a good top notch outfit. I see them in articles GM HighTechPerformance magazine and all the other Primedia mags. that I read. S4it happens sometimes. That is what liability insurance is for.

Here is the explination from the owner of HPE:

"I'd like you to watch this video so you can see what actually happened, and I'll try my best to explain it all. In the video you will hear the car rev up real fast when the second stage of nitrous comes on... That is the point where the dyno "went out". So during this time, all the nitrous was getting sprayed into the intake manifold, but not all of it was being used due to the speed in which the motor was accelerating.... then the dyno decided to load up. Now all that unused nitrous has to go somewhere. Due to fuel puddling and everything that can happen in a state like this (fuel is obviously heavier than N20), the mixture going into some of the cylinders was not ideal, thus causing a few cylinders to run too lean. That's when you can see pieces of pistons and spark plugs start coming out of the exhaust.

So, the new pistons will be here middle of next week, then we're going to have them coated, and probably have the car put back together end of the following week. That's when we'll be posting up those 900+ rwhp numbers So until then, stay tuned."

Here is what the owner Chuck said about the whole situation, he is one cool guy with a great attitude.

This video has been everywhere, and I've read many people trying to comment on it, without knowing anything about what's going on. It really doesn't bother me though, because it's none of their concern. The first and last place I posted that video was in this post. It's been spread all over the internet, from that single post. Which is fine, I really don't care. I'm just pointing out pure fact so you can be sure that anything that was not said in THAT post is something someone else is saying, who probably doesn't know anything about the situation at all.

All I know are these 2 facts.

1. WE, not ANYbody else here, were the ones trying for 900+ rwhp from a NITROUS assisted C6 ZO6. About the most unreliable way of doing it, WE were doing it. And doing it well in case you haven't seen for yourself. I have pics of the build up on our website
here. The car was running BEAUTIFULLY and literally, 1 successful dyno pull away from calling the customer and telling him to come pick it up.

2. WE were the ones who took care of the hurt engine without blinking an eye. It wasn't the customers fault his car blew. What kind of shop would I operate if I just told the guy "Tough luck, your car we just built blew on the dyno because my dyno messed up. You're gonna have to pay to fix it." Haha, if that's the kind of customer service you're used to getting, then you need to find a better speed shop!

So anyways, that's all I really have to say about this car. If you don't like it, race one of our record holding cars. I've got them all listed on my home page. Take your pick. Call us idiots. See if we care what you think
lol.gif

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300

Wow! Good to hear the shop will repair the engine for his customer. :)

Another reason to leave Nitrous to the professional drag racers....to be used on a legal dragstrip.

GM engineered and built the LS7 to combust ambient air air with hi-octane gasoline, without added boost.

Wow! Good to hear the shop will repair the engine for his customer. :)

Another reason to leave Nitrous to the professional drag racers....to be used on a legal dragstrip.

GM engineered and built the LS7 to combust ambient air air with hi-octane gasoline, without added boost.
If it were WCC,they'd change the price to the customer...

What a way to turn an awesome car into a piece of crap.
The car was fixed free of charge and made very close to 900rwhp. Still an awesome car and an excellent tuner. The customer got what they wanted in the long run, however difficult the request.

The car was fixed free of charge and made very close to 900rwhp. Still an awesome car and an excellent tuner. The customer got what they wanted in the long run, however difficult the request.

Todd,

I I guess if the customer is happy then fine ... If you ask me, the customer needs to have his head examined. I'm juat a "purist" when it comes to cars and like them stock. If I were going to build a hopped up Vette, I would take a base model C6 instead of hacking up a Z06 .. but that's just me.

Pat

Todd,

I I guess if the customer is happy then fine ... If you ask me, the customer needs to have his head examined. I'm juat a "purist" when it comes to cars and like them stock. If I were going to build a hopped up Vette, I would take a base model C6 instead of hacking up a Z06 .. but that's just me.

Pat
Yeah, I understand what your saying. I don't think two stages of Nitrous would have been my first choice of a power adder. They were just following orders and carried them out to the letter, Z or not. To have the dyno unload like it did was misfortunate and costly, but Chuck the owner of the shop, doesn't have any quams about telling it like it is, or cares what anyone thinks, which I think is the best part of this whole episode. **** happens is more or less the moral of this story. A quality build gone wild. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom