Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Corvette Will Have a Split Window

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Ed Welburn, General Motors' head of global design, told Edmunds.com's Inside Line that the C7 Corvette will have a split rear window!

According to Welburn:
(regarding the Transformers Corvette Concept)
""That car is not the next Corvette," says Welburn, "But the split-window is something that I expect for the next Corvette. With the back-up cameras and blind-spot detection systems that we have these days, the visibility issue is much less of a problem"

If it looks like "Sideswipe", I am all for it. Saw it at the 15th anniversary celebration in Bowling Green. :v

I know. I heard about the rear vision problems, but it is such a cool car. One could always dream. ;worship

It definitely needs hidden headlights again!! :v
As much as I like my C5 hidden headlights I don't see them coming back. The added mass to make them hide and the added aero drag when in use will be the stoppers. ;shrug At least that my two cents worth... :)

It needs hidden headlights again too!
But like Bucket, it appears to be a moot point for me. :eyerole

All summer and I still haven't gotten used to my backup camera. Maybe if I removed the rearview mirror....?

Keep moving forward... backwards.

Now if GM would just consider incorporating retro-split chrome bumpers into the design, circa. early C3's.

Time to get another lift..........

C1, C3, C5 so a C7 only seems mathamatically logical to me!!

Yes to split window....

Yes to hidden headlights....

Yes to Chevrolet for keeping the Corvette evolving!!

C7 Styling

Not sure about the split window, I know it's classic but I dunno...
As for the hidden headlights, yes they're an aerodynamic drag when extended and add some weight but the real reason, as we all know, is the massive cost reduction to eliminate the mechanism and controls for them and just go with fixed lights. One could say the fixed lights give another styling element for more character but that's subjective, I suppose.
What's not subjective is the widespread respect that the Vette gets after dominating racing for the last 10 years. Not much subjectivity there.:beer

As for the hidden headlights, yes they're an aerodynamic drag when extended and add some weight but the real reason, as we all know, is the massive cost reduction to eliminate the mechanism and controls for them and just go with fixed lights.:beer
I would like to think that all factors were considered when making the choice to go fixed. That would include the drag, weight, styling and cost. I don't however believe that cost was the over whelming decision maker. As technologies change I believe most people want the best overall choice to make use of these technologies. Just to point out a few, electronic fuel injection, propshaft in torque tube, dry sump oil systems, superchargers, etc… Even head lights. I’m sure the cost has dropped, but HID head lights may even cost more than the standard head lamp with hiding mechanism. :cool

Lights come back...please

Hey,

From a design perspective you can incorporate headlight assemblies that would have the same shape (double clam shell type) when closed or upside down...you know? Thereby, you are maintaining the aerodynamics of the front shape and contours’ day and night.

That would be very cool to see your car with lights one moment and the next thing you know they disappear without changing the Corvettes shape.

From what I keep hearing though, flip up or rotation lights are unreliable and have kinks and issues. But, hey...I don't care about that stuff. I have a C6 Corvette and I held off purchasing it because I was so disappointed with the new fixed front headlights. It took me a couple of years to accept that before I got mine. I love it still…I would like the pop-up flip over lights to come back.;)

Zora probably turned over in his grave - he did not like the Split Window. I had the SWC and the rear vision was truly hindered. I preferred the non split in my 64 and 66 coupes. I think that the Split Window does not add anything to the C7 other than a camera which is another item that will need repair, maintenance. I do like the hidden headlite concept and wish they would come back. I think one gets better illumination from them than the C6s. Since I have both a C5 and a C6 that I drive at night, I find the C5's lights better. But I am all for improvements in the Corvette.
Barrett

I would like to see hide-away-headlights too!! They have been with corvette from almost the begining and look awesome... More importantly, the interior neeeeeds to be redone... The C7 should have the cockpit feel of the C4 to make it more of a drivers car with everything angled toward the driver... The C5 and C6 has a basic feel to it when you sit inside, almost like an upgraded cobalt...
Oh yeah, the clamshell hood is a great design too... Easy to work on and looks great!

Thats how I feel!:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom