Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Info

Hib - All I can dig up is outdated stuff, give/show us a good link...

The reason what you're finding is "outdated stuff" is because the decision to cancel the mid-engine project and delay any C7 at all was made more than a year ago...in Nov. 08 I believe. It was "news" then but is not news (ie: outdated) now.

I'm not sure...but I believe after the news of cancelling any hope of a mid engine corvette (which I'm glad to hear) I heard that the C7 will release April 2012.

I guess you know best...but it will be interesting what happens April of 2012.

Thanks

JB

I suppose, in light of the killing (thankfully) of the mid-engine project, we have to consider how much of a change in the platform has to happen before we can call it a "C7".

My understanding is that, other than elimination of the Z06 and ZR1 models, there will be no significant change in the Corvette until 2013 at the earliest.

I'm going to guess that there will actually be no significant change in the forseable future considering the huge decrease in sales of late and that GM is not a government-funded jobs program for the UAW and that a car like a Corvette is probably not a high-priority with the folks in the Obama administration and in Congress who have influence over the direction and fortunes of the "new" General Motors. In short, far left liberals (a number of which are in congressional Democratic majority and in the Obama administration) hate cars, especially cars like the Corvette and I suspect that feeling might have a bearing on what direction the Corvette takes in the mid-term future and the strength of that bearing will depend, in part, on whether or not the car is profitable which it currently is not.

Either one.

Back when Corvette built 35000-40000 units annually, the car made a profit for GM. It looks like MY09 might end-up with sales off about half. With those numbers, Corvette is a loser.

Dealer "blowout 09" discounts has made Corvette the biggest "loser" over the past year. As much as 20K under MSRP has sent residuals on 05-08 into the toilet with no help from its closely priced stablemate, the redesigned Camaro.
Joe

Yep, C6 Sales in '09 LESS Than Half

Either one.

Back when Corvette built 35000-40000 units annually, the car made a profit for GM. It looks like MY09 might end-up with sales off about half. With those numbers, Corvette is a loser.

So, you can look at it as GM selling the cars for less than it takes per unit to turn a profit or you can look at it as GM not making enough money as a whole on Corvette.

When we were at 15th Anniv ('09 Caravan) in Bowling Green this last Sept there was a GM/Chevorlet sales person there (the day they brought the movie StingRay outdoors) he had announced to the crowd final production numbers for '09 and was 'pleading' with everyone to help find buyers.....anyway the production number for '09 was LESS than half of '08 anf previous years. If I remember correctly, it was around 16k Vettes (total all models) If they do not sell more Vettes, they are definitely in trouble. Especially since GM emerged from bankruptcy and have gov in the boardroom. How can they keep going with a nameplate thats losing money for them???? My '09 Orange vert, only 91 were built....yikes....not good...

When we were at 15th Anniv ('09 Caravan) in Bowling Green this last Sept there was a GM/Chevorlet sales person there (the day they brought the movie StingRay outdoors) he had announced to the crowd final production numbers for '09 and was 'pleading' with everyone to help find buyers.....anyway the production number for '09 was LESS than half of '08 anf previous years. If I remember correctly, it was around 16k Vettes (total all models) If they do not sell more Vettes, they are definitely in trouble. Especially since GM emerged from bankruptcy and have gov in the boardroom. How can they keep going with a nameplate thats losing money for them???? My '09 Orange vert, only 91 were built....yikes....not good...

Just about all nameplates lost money and the whole worlds sale's were in the crapper. It isn't a Vette specific issue. Bad cars and no interest doesn't happen over night. Stock market crashes do. The toy market crashed and the Vette is a toy. Ask anyone who has tried to sell privately in the last year and a bit. The big demographic is 40+ males and those are also the ones who took the ass pounding on their investments(hand is up)

The C7 program, if scuttled, can be resurrected with a phone call but given GM's financial state it makes sense they would not be throwing money into that sort of a program just now. So it gets delayed a year or two. The C5 ran 8 years so no big deal to run the C6 to 8 or 9 years too.
The market will come back. With reduced production costs and a healthier economy it might be for the 2011 model year but it will come back. It isn't like everyone is running out to buy those reasonably priced Porsches and Jags instead. They just aren't buying now period.

) he had announced to the crowd final production numbers for '09 and was 'pleading' with everyone to help find buyers.....anyway the production number for '09 was LESS than half of '08 anf previous years. If I remember correctly, it was around 16k Vettes (total all models) If they do not sell more Vettes, they are definitely in trouble. Especially since GM emerged from bankruptcy and have gov in the boardroom. How can they keep going with a nameplate thats losing money for them???? My '09 Orange vert, only 91 were built....yikes....not good...

So there you go. Only 16,000 vettes produced and it still required a massive clearance blowout at most dealers in my area.
I noticed some ads with dealers sitting on 40+ cars as late as October.
At 5000 they should have called it quits and ended the year.
At the very least GM needs to divert attention for the iconic badge off the very unaffordable $120,000 supercar and back to the regular guys "vette"..
Joe

So when Bob Klutz said the C7 will have a split window he meant, man… the Corvette………. will split……………. Puff……… like man...... the 60’s rule……….. puff
:_rock

What a clown!! ;worship

Just about all nameplates lost money and the whole worlds sale's were in the crapper. It isn't a Vette specific issue. Bad cars and no interest doesn't happen over night. Stock market crashes do. The toy market crashed and the Vette is a toy. Ask anyone who has tried to sell privately in the last year and a bit. The big demographic is 40+ males and those are also the ones who took the ass pounding on their investments(hand is up)

You are correct, at least I fit your previous stated demographic (40+ taking hit on investment, my hit equaled around 56%!!!!) It has come back around 30% in my portfolio. I did not loose any sleep over it and still went out and bought my FIRST Vette after waiting forty years. Glad I did too. It makes me HAPPY!! ('09 Atomic Orange Z51 Convert)

The C7 program, if scuttled, can be resurrected with a phone call but given GM's financial state it makes sense they would not be throwing money into that sort of a program just now. So it gets delayed a year or two. The C5 ran 8 years so no big deal to run the C6 to 8 or 9 years too.
The market will come back. With reduced production costs and a healthier economy it might be for the 2011 model year but it will come back. It isn't like everyone is running out to buy those reasonably priced Porsches and Jags instead. They just aren't buying now period.

Your right again. The C3 ran allot longer than that as well. I'm o.k. living with current gen if it has to run till 2020. I just dont want to lose the nameplate....especially since we are in the second muscle car era. As long as the general stays true (performance first) to heritage, I think (hope) it will be with us for another 50+ years.....

New C7?

Talk about butt-ugly! Those headlights look like they were designed for a twelve-year old's toy car. Surely that pic is a spoof and not for real. If that's really the new C7, I'll be keeping my '07 Z-06 for a long time.

So there you go. Only 16,000 vettes produced and it still required a massive clearance blowout at most dealers in my area.
I noticed some ads with dealers sitting on 40+ cars as late as October.
At 5000 they should have called it quits and ended the year.
At the very least GM needs to divert attention for the iconic badge off the very unaffordable $120,000 supercar and back to the regular guys "vette"..
Joe

Yes, they were being discounted.....my '09 had almost 9k$ knocked off window sticker (sticker 67,815, paid 59k$). I was originally going to buy 2010 Grand Sport, but since the '09 was discounted so much AND the fact my retirement portfolio had taken BIG hit, I decided to move up my decision and get the '09. With 8k off sticker and I work for liv'in it made financial sense. My first Vette....it makes me VERY happy.!!!

Yes, they were being discounted.....my '09 had almost 9k$ knocked off window sticker (sticker 67,815, paid 59k$). I was originally going to buy 2010 Grand Sport, but since the '09 was discounted so much AND the fact my retirement portfolio had taken BIG hit, I decided to move up my decision and get the '09. With 8k off sticker and I work for liv'in it made financial sense. My first Vette....it makes me VERY happy.!!!
Actually that shows an improvement .My 08 was about the 68,000 MSRP and I paid $43,000 (new ).When I bought in Oct 08 there we're still 160 unsold 07's (new ) still on dealer lots.Dealers use to fight for allocation of Vetts .Now they don't want 'em .IF the production drops below 10,000 you might not see 2011's .Best thing that can happen is that all enthusiast order a 2010 even if it's a cheap one.I'm willing to bet a deal for a LT1 coupe could be struck in the $40,000 range.

The reason what you're finding is "outdated stuff" is because the decision to cancel the mid-engine project and delay any C7 at all was made more than a year ago...in Nov. 08 I believe. It was "news" then but is not news (ie: outdated) now.
There was definitely an announcement, supposedly official, around October-November 2009; that the C7 would appear in late 2011 as a MY 2012.

I didn't bother to save the info because GM never seems to get a Corvette into production on time, but it was fairly well circulated on the internet and another forum.

Can anyone find a link?

EDITED TO ADD: Since that announcement, GM has replaced both the CEO and the CFO, so it's anybody's guess what is happening now.

The bottom line with Gov't Motors is if it doesn't burn moonshine or use batteries, it won't be made. :mad

The more BHO says he doesn't want to run the car companies, the less I believe him. ;shrug

Happy New Year.

Actually that shows an improvement .My 08 was about the 68,000 MSRP and I paid $43,000 (new ).When I bought in Oct 08 there we're still 160 unsold 07's (new ) still on dealer lots.Dealers use to fight for allocation of Vetts .Now they don't want 'em .IF the production drops below 10,000 you might not see 2011's .Best thing that can happen is that all enthusiast order a 2010 even if it's a cheap one.I'm willing to bet a deal for a LT1 coupe could be struck in the $40,000 range.

Wow!!! I dickered around with them. My offer originally was 57k. (internet-car was couple hundred miles away-and was the only '09 left like it and was exactly what I wanted to the tee-only 91 total were built like this one which i did not know at the time) I had been watching it and already decided on Grand Sport. They had refused my 57 offer which was few months earlier. Didn't give much more thought until later. According to salesman, they had a guy on internet agree to buy 62,900. He could not get financing at preferred rate so his payment would have been more than could handle so he backed out. A few months later I recd email telling me it was still available. They quoted me 61,500. I told them I had changed my mind and waitin for GS. They came back day later with 59 price and I said sold. Rest history. How did you get yours so discounted???? My first Vette. Always heard that they never bartered much with new Vettes. I suppose I shoud have dickered more.......The salesman told me that my Vette sat in showroom for nearly eight months before sold......
I need to take lessons from you.......tim:)

Wow!!! I dickered around with them. My offer originally was 57k. (internet-car was couple hundred miles away-and was the only '09 left like it and was exactly what I wanted to the tee-only 91 total were built like this one which i did not know at the time) I had been watching it and already decided on Grand Sport. They had refused my 57 offer which was few months earlier. Didn't give much more thought until later. According to salesman, they had a guy on internet agree to buy 62,900. He could not get financing at preferred rate so his payment would have been more than could handle so he backed out. A few months later I recd email telling me it was still available. They quoted me 61,500. I told them I had changed my mind and waitin for GS. They came back day later with 59 price and I said sold. Rest history. How did you get yours so discounted???? My first Vette. Always heard that they never bartered much with new Vettes. I suppose I shoud have dickered more.......The salesman told me that my Vette sat in showroom for nearly eight months before sold......
I need to take lessons from you.......tim:)
Trueth is that It was my first ebay purchase and I was shocked the dealer excepted my offer .
It was a problem in location and timing but GM Junkie came to the rescue with his car carrier.:D

But the point is that there is not such a glut of Corvettes sitting there sucking up dealers capitol.

There was definitely an announcement, supposedly official, around October-November 2009; that the C7 would appear in late 2011 as a MY 2012.

I didn't bother to save the info because GM never seems to get a Corvette into production on time, but it was fairly well circulated on the internet and another forum.

Can anyone find a link?

EDITED TO ADD: Since that announcement, GM has replaced both the CEO and the CFO, so it's anybody's guess what is happening now.
I was off by a year on the date, but the announcement was online in "Automotive News" 8-11-09, 3:09 ET.
or
GM confirms next-gen Chevrolet Corvette to bow in 2012

Of course, the C7 project could have been cancelled and reinstated three times since then.

:w GM confirms next-gen Chevrolet Corvette to bow in 2012????
I think they mean:
"GM confirms Chevrolet Corvette to bow out in 2012.":boogie

.............to be replaced by a Volt powered solstace.:eek:hnoes

Corvette Racing boss Doug Fehan confirms new 5.5L V8 for Sebring debut

by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Jan 2nd, 2010 at 7:55PM

Corvette C6.R GT2 - Click above for high-res image gallery

Back in August when General Motors introduced the all-new GT2 class Corvette C6.R, it ran downsized 6.0-liter version of the 7.0-liter V8 from the long-dominant GT1 car. At the launch, Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told us the 6.0-liter was just an interim engine. With revised GT rules on tap for 2010, GM was already planning a brand-new engine for its race Vette.

Unlike the 6.0/7.0, which is a ground-up race engine that only shares basic architectural dimensions with the production small block, the 2010 C6.R's V8 is a new 5.5-liter unit that will indeed be derived from the production engine found in roadgoing Corvettes. In fact, the 5.5-liter race engine will be built at GM's Performance Build Center alongside ZR1 and Z06 V8s.

Fehan has confirmed that the 5.5 is running on the dyno and will make its race debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. We don't have any additional details on the new engine yet, although we were told earlier that it is based on the next-generation production small-block, which we expect to see in the Corvette soon.

Might this be part of a program to develop and validate a 5.3 or 5.5 for the 2013 model?

Man, I'd like to see the cylinder head on that pup. I wonder if the still-born 3-valve head of the mid-'00s will reappear?

A smaller engine is going to either need a supercharger or more rpm to make the power close to the current LS3.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom