Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C7 Powertrain

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
The GEN 5 LT1 packs 450hp. :thumb

Variable valve timing. :cool!:
Tied to a 7 speed manual transmission. :Steer

0-60 under 4 seconds. :reddevil

Retro name- LT1. :cool

What aspect do YOU like the most? ;shrug

Not that I'd ever be able to afford the motor as a crate, but GM has historically offered the top of the line Vette motors as OTC items for us gearheads...:upthumbs

I like it all, can't pick a favorite. And it's still a simple push rod engine. Brilliant. :)

Don't like the LT1 name with out a hyphen though. Not even close to being good enough for this engine. Seems to me they went backwards in that area.

(snip)What aspect do YOU like the most? ;shrug

The aspect of the C7 Powertrain I like most is the one which is mostly responsible for the 20 extra horsepower...direct injection.

HI there,

You said POWERTRAIN, how about all of it????

The level of systems integration and how it all works together is what I marvel at. Its set up to make a driver MUCH better in the Corvette than any other performance car.

Especially the electronic limited slip differential, which allows better power transfer to the wheels. Alot of drivers have a problem putting the power down predictably without spinning tires, upsetting chassis dynamics and just being unstable about driving it.

I think that problem will be a thing of the past.

Allthebest, Paul

HI there,

You said POWERTRAIN, how about all of it????

The level of systems integration and how it all works together is what I marvel at. Its set up to make a driver MUCH better in the Corvette than any other performance car.

Especially the electronic limited slip differential, which allows better power transfer to the wheels. Alot of drivers have a problem putting the power down predictably without spinning tires, upsetting chassis dynamics and just being unstable about driving it.

I think that problem will be a thing of the past.

Allthebest, Paul
Paul, do you believe these improvements will make average drivers (ie: most of us) safer or could it have the opposite effect by allowing drivers to reach their level of incompetence more quickly?

-Mac

450 HP and no tire spinning....
lots of new technology.

450 HP and no tire spinning....
lots of new technology.

:confused

Corvette has had traction control since 1992. When it's enabled, you won't spin the tires.

Also, I don't think the electronic limited slip will prevent wheel spin. If you turn TCS off and hammer it, you'll spin the tires, just maybe more equally.

But...Paul's point is well taken. There is more cutting edge powertrain stuff in the C7 than just the Gen V V8.

HI there,

To Macs point, I think that with new technologies comes different drivers and different results.

A few months back, I did a podcast specifically on the new LT1 and C7 features. We discussed in depth the different technologies that will be coming.

I really looked at it from my point of view. Being a GM tech, I can drive Corvette but I most definately cannot extract its full potential while driving it. IMO, this is where the electronics systems interworking together will make me a better driver, because of the ability to telegraph what I want, how I want to drive and then make appropriate adjustments.

Remember, the entire electronic architecture is BRAND NEW FOR CORVETTE. Its been out in other product lines for years, but Corvette can take such advantage of the better processors, better communications between modules and then, fine tune it for each individual driving style.

Electronic limited slip differential can talk with the active handling and know what the chassis pitch is, what direction its going, the amount of turnin and correctly add or remove clutch pressure to the differential to aid in power transfer to the ground.

Also, in that same vein, if you have F55 with the Z51, then the shock absorbers will also be stiffened or relaxed to allow the movement of the suspension to assist in flat cornering and chassis dynamics so you can drive faster.

All I know, is that Im drooling and cant wait to get my hands on one come April.

Ha, and people call me obsessed,,,,,,,,,um, maybe.:D:thumb

Allthebest, Paul

HI there,

To Macs point, I think that with new technologies comes different drivers and different results.

A few months back, I did a podcast specifically on the new LT1 and C7 features. We discussed in depth the different technologies that will be coming.

I really looked at it from my point of view. Being a GM tech, I can drive Corvette but I most definately cannot extract its full potential while driving it. IMO, this is where the electronics systems interworking together will make me a better driver, because of the ability to telegraph what I want, how I want to drive and then make appropriate adjustments.

Remember, the entire electronic architecture is BRAND NEW FOR CORVETTE. Its been out in other product lines for years, but Corvette can take such advantage of the better processors, better communications between modules and then, fine tune it for each individual driving style.

Electronic limited slip differential can talk with the active handling and know what the chassis pitch is, what direction its going, the amount of turnin and correctly add or remove clutch pressure to the differential to aid in power transfer to the ground.

Also, in that same vein, if you have F55 with the Z51, then the shock absorbers will also be stiffened or relaxed to allow the movement of the suspension to assist in flat cornering and chassis dynamics so you can drive faster.

All I know, is that Im drooling and cant wait to get my hands on one come April.

Ha, and people call me obsessed,,,,,,,,,um, maybe.:D:thumb

Allthebest, Paul

Obsessed is good... :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom