Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Callaways Invade Carlisle ---Caption These Pics!---

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
First off, I want to thank Chris and his wife Natasha, and the rest of the Callaway owners here for a job well done at Carlisle and for inviting me to attend. I was also extremely impressed with the engineers from Callaway Cars in Old Lyme, CT.

The dinner and reception last night was first class, and EXTREMELY well organized. I was quite honored and to be honest with you, humbled by the whole experience.

My first experience with Callaway Cars was around 1994, or 1995. The ZR-1 Registry did a tour of their facility and I remember walking in seeing Corvettes in various stages of development and production. There was an LT5 engine on the dyno, screaming away at WOT. What a sound!

There were benches everywhere with various LT5 engine parts all lined up. We were then led over to two twin turbo ZR-1s that were up on lifts. I remember walking underneath them thinking, "holy $%^&, we are not in Kansas anymore!"

I'm not an engineer, but based upon the quality of workmanship and craftsmanship that I witnessed, I walked away from there with a new level of respect for what they were doing.

That level of quality and craftsmanship made itself well known this weekend at Carlisle. There were all types of Callaways there, including one of the most incredible Corvettes, I have ever seen - a silver Callaway C12.

In fact, I kind of felt like an idiot at one point because I was standing next to Mike Zoner from Callaway Cars, and I just kept mumbling, "wow, that is AWESOME". At one point, I had to stop and make sure I didn't have drool running down my shirt! :L

About a year ago, someone mentioned to me that I should consider starting a Callaway forum here at the Corvette Action Center. I was a little hesitant since I didn't think there would be enough owners interested in this type of venue and I didn't want to start another dead forum like the ZR-1 Forum. I'm not sure what my response was to that person that requested it, but I believe I asked for more time to research the possibilities.

Shortly after, I ran into Chris (*89x2*) at a Cruise Night here in VA and he mentioned that a group of Callaway folks were looking for a new home since another forum web site denied them there own forum. At that point, I figured, if the other site denied them their own forum, that's all the more reason for me to give them a new home here at the CAC. Hence, the Callaway Forum was started here. :)

After starting the Callaway Forum, I realized, I really didn't know that much about them - as much as I should in any case. As a result, I put together the Callaway Model Center. Right now, it's ok, but I feel it's missing some vital information and I plan on working on that ASAP.

This weekend was the first time I got a chance to interact with some of you here on the forums as well as some of the Callaway Engineers. What a top notch group of folks!!!

Dinner was awesome and the stories that Mike Zoner told were not only hilarious, but nothing short of amazing. Great job Mike!!!! I'm going to try that tapping thing on my desk in work and see if I can light a flame under the butts of some staff members there! :L :L

For those of you that are guests and browsing this thread, if you're not aware of Callaway, check out their web site:

Callaway Cars

At the conclusion of last night's dinner, everyone went out in the back parking lot of the hotel to take part in "Creeper Races".

Basically, a short course was set up with mini-traffic cones and some of the Callaway owners and engineers raced on a mechanic's creeper.

Unfortunately, I had one hell of a splitting headache (I booked out of the dinner at the end, hopped in my car and went to get Motrin at a local gas station), so I did not participate, but yours truly, *89x2* did along with the folks from Callaway Cars.

What a riot!

So without further hesitation, I'll post these pics, and lets see some captions for them! They didn't come out as good as I hoped, but as the saying goes, "you get the picture":

attachment.php

Did any of the creepers have...

...traction control?
Heidi :D

• Admin
Re: Did any of the creepers have...

78SilvAnniv said:
...traction control?
Heidi :D
Umm, well, let me put it this way, they didn't come with traction control, but I have a feeling that a few of the "riders" are missing some skin. :L

• Admin
attachment.php

"I'm in a race...I'm in a race....I'm in a race!" - from Mr. Bean in the movie "Rat Race".

An awesome sight seeing those Callaways!!! If these pics were taken on Saturday the bottom pic with the front of the C12 has a couple of 35th Anniv cars on the top of the pic. One might be mine since i was parked at the end of that row. I almost feel honored of my car possibly being in that photo!!!!!! The whole Callaway section was unbelievable!!!

EricVonHa said:
I know NOTHING!
attachment.php

"thump thump" ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

I can't wait to try that in work this morning! :L

Rob, I am very glad that you were able to make it!! I know you had to shuffle your schedule all weekend to hang out w/ all of the Callaway folks and like you, was pleased, very pleased w/ how the whole weeknd turned out - Esp the weekend :)

Thank you Turbo Joe *MAGIC DRAGONx2* ;) for putting the Creeper races together - In the above pic w/ Turbo Luigi on the creeper & Paul Becker providing the "push power" - That was one of the most hilarious races in all the heats ;LOL

Pauls son Cameron, won the Creeper Challenge with Mike Zoner placing second and Mike Dickinson placing third - Congrats :beer

In the pic below, Joanne Mercer is simply glowing from her first place win, in the tandem relay event - together, she & I won the race which for my part was easy - 'lil Joanne on the creeper and myself powering it around the course however, we had to switch drivers at the end of the course and return :eek

What a great time :beer

Does anyone have the pic(s) of Scott Rawling on the creeper - He too, looked like he had wayyyy too much fun with this :upthumbs

attachment.php

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom