Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

camshaft failure

Hello

I have been reading and have been talking with some old timers at work and they told me about camshaft wiped lobed. Being with cadillac a light bulb went off in my head and i remembered guys installing camshafts in the 4100 for wiped cams. I have mu Uncles car with #8 pushrod intake broke. valve is stiff and knotty (sticks.) Should I just plan on installing a new camshaft and lifters. ;help

I have been reading and have been talking with some old timers at work and they told me about camshaft wiped lobed. Being with cadillac a light bulb went off in my head and i remembered guys installing camshafts in the 4100 for wiped cams. I have mu Uncles car with #8 pushrod intake broke. valve is stiff and knotty (sticks.) Should I just plan on installing a new camshaft and lifters. ;help

Are you referring to a cam that was recently installed? In any case, be sure that you follow proper break-in procedures for the initial start-up with the new camshaft and to use oil with a high zinc content.

I recommend you do a quick search on this topic as there are several threads that could give you helpful info.

Ralph

...#8 pushrod intake broke. valve is stiff and knotty (sticks.) Should I just plan on installing a new camshaft and lifters....

At the least you have to replace the broken pushrod and reset the valve lash on #8.

Might not be a bad idea to check the lash on all.
:)

Sounds as though uncles car may ... repeat MAY ... may have a bent or galled valve. Of course, don't drive it until it's fully-repaired.

Regardless, an experienced knowledgable person should check cam lobes, lifters, pushrods, rockers, springs & valves.

If ... IF ... if it has a bent/galled valve ... simply replacing cam-lifters will hurt wallet ... and it'll be right back at square one ... or worse.

the only way to fix a bent/galled valve requires head remove-install.

next time, state year make & model ... that's lots more helpful than owner's identity.

Had to replace my 81 cam just short of 50K, because #3 lobe flatened out; on California vechicles, gas recovery is routed back to engine at #3 cylinder. Additional heat and a too soft (not hardened enough by factory) cam cause lobe to wear down, causing #3 cylinder valve to fail to open / function properly. Engine felt like it was missing; replaced plug, ignition wire, no improvement. Took it in, mech found the bad cam, replaced same, problem fixed. Mileage now around 130k, still running good, especially after rebuliding Carb.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom