Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Camshaft Opinions?

Paddywhack

Corvette
1986 Dark red coupe
While i'm taking it apart and rebuilding, i'm considering a mild cam with slightly noticeable idle. Everything else is staying stock except i'm running muffler eliminators. Most of my driving is around town, so not looking for high end help. Any suggestions on a nice cam for the L98?
Thanks

Get in contact with these guys, they should be able to hook you up with a nice low end to mid range torquey cam. Perfect for you needs and wants for your L98.

TPiS

If you are not changing/modding the intake you will get better bang for $$$ by installing long tube headers.
You are only as good as your weakest point; bigger cam will give little real benefit if the rest (intake / heads/ exh ) can't support extra flow

If you are not changing/modding the intake you will get better bang for $$$ by installing long tube headers.
You are only as good as your weakest point; bigger cam will give little real benefit if the rest (intake / heads/ exh ) can't support extra flow

I agree.....Sounds like the GM Hot Cam would be a great choice for what you want to do.Added Power,Noticable Idle and won't kill your drivability or Gas Mileage.
IMO

Thanks...Where might I find the info on this "GM Hot Cam"?

GM Performance 24502586 - GM Performance LT4 Hot Cam Hydraulic Roller Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Chevrolet Performance Parts

Problem with Hot cam is it only gets the .525 lift by using 1.6 rockers.(more $$$)
You can buy a cam with similar specs that will reuse your original 1.5 rockers.
The ZZ4 cam is a cheap alternative that works; muscle car idle and great drivibility . 208./221 .470 .510
Often available as a new crate engine take out for under $130

Be aware you will need new valve springs ($40 ) because the stock ones won't support extra lift and are probably worn out anyway:thumb

What year is your L98? Early L98s had flat tappet cams and later models had rollers.

Jake

West Point Rocks! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

While i'm taking it apart and rebuilding, i'm considering a mild cam with slightly noticeable idle. Everything else is staying stock except i'm running muffler eliminators. Most of my driving is around town, so not looking for high end help. Any suggestions on a nice cam for the L98?
Thanks
What are your power goals? The L98 is pretty much maxed out in stock form. Since it is an '86 it has a non-roller cam. Even though this is an early TPI motor, without major mods, you are not going to gain much by changing just the camshaft. The TPI induction system has major restrictions that must be overcome to generate any real HP/Tq gains. The MAF, plenum, intake runners, intake manifold and exhaust are the major restrictions. If you free up those areas, then a cam would make a big difference. You will also need a serious tune to make the car run properly.

CG

Also, if it's an EARLY 86, that has iron heads, the heads themselves are a problem. They have press-in studs which can pull out when higher pressure valve springs are used.

Also, early iron heads don't have guide plates. Instead they have slots in the heads that the pushrods pass through. Pushrod clearance becomes really tight right where they enter the head and unless the slots are elongated, using a Louis Tool, the pushrods can bind and bend when 1.6 roller rockers are installed.

All in all, you have to know what heads you're running in order to avoid a lot of problems.

If you're running aluminum heads, then a GM LT4 HotCam is the biggest I'd go. Others are TPIS' ZZ9 or CompCams 218/224 XFI, or Lingenfelter's 211/219 hydraulic roller cams are good choices.

In either case, you'll need new springs which match the cam you choose.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

I'm sooo confused!!! I do have the cast iron heads.

Crack a beer , sit back and work out what you want v budget
As mentioned you have some parts that are not the best for performance.
Intake mods can be done anytime but while engine is apart , is it worth your while to change to a better head; even a different cast iron head?
Later factory L98 alum heads always for sale at reasonable prices
FS:Stock 1990 Aluminum L98 Heads - Corvette Forum

Thanks, vetteoz....cracked a beer...no problem with that...budget..really havent thought too much about that. Are aluminum heads that much better than the cast iron on my L98 now? I just thought that while apart, now would be a good time for a cam change, low end, muscle car feeling. Long tube headers are a possibility, a little worried about ground clearance though I understand the need for free flow intake and exhaust....so much input that I never thought about. This place is awesome!

The EARLY 86 with cast iron heads have a flat tappet, hydraulic cam. So unless you want to go to a retro-fit kit in order to run a roller cam, a roller cam is out; can't be used.

I made the move to a retro-fit kit and roller cam on my EARLY 86, but be warned, it's a costly move. By the time all is said and done, you'll be closing in on $1,000.00 but you'd still have to address the sub-par cylinder heads.

Don't forget all the considerations on the iron heads, too (press-in studs, short pushrod slots, poor flow, etc.) Compared to later GM and after-market heads they're awful and a big stumbling block in any performance application.

Sorry for the bad news, but I figure you'd want to know from someone who has been down that road.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day 20 May 2010!!!

Thanks Jake...as they say..."to be forwarned is to be forarmed" or something like that....i'll start looking for heads.....soon.

Another thing I recall is that the 86 iron heads have extremely thin port walls so porting them to improve the air flow is limited. I recall when I began porting mine, I quickly ground through one of the intake port walls, leaving a nice little hole that caused me to have to take the head to a reputable shop for repair.

Because of my budget at the time (many year ago), I went with a pair of Edelbrock RPMs for about $1,000 from Summit, but there are now better flowing heads for close to the same cost.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom