Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can someone confirm this for me.....

djsroknrol

Corvette
1984 L83/MD8 red coupe
Last night, I noticed that the spare tire lamp was also lit up along with the interior lights when the anti theft system was activated. I have never seen it light up before and was wondering if anyone knows if this is supposed to happen or is this a custom wiring thing. :confused

Sorry Florida Guy....it didn't show anything about what courtesy lights should be on in timed delay, but thanks for the response...anyone else have any idea?

father & son

Yes just checked on mine, opened door interior lights come on,close door light delay keeps interior teeshirtphotos028.jpg lights on PLUS the rear light by spear tire.

Last night, I noticed that the spare tire lamp was also lit up along with the interior lights when the anti theft system was activated. I have never seen it light up before and was wondering if anyone knows if this is supposed to happen or is this a custom wiring thing. :confused

Its just part of the interior lite delay/timer.

While on the subject, I wanted to warn you about something else there...
the door panel lite switch.

The white plastic on the door panel is a switch that turns on the door lite. If thats accidentally turned on, you will probably not notice exiting the car since those lites normally come on when the door opens.
This can drain a battery when parked for several days. To check, just wait until the timer turns out the other inside lites then if a door is still lit, push the switch. Make sure the headlite knob is not turned to "dome" as well. The mirror map lite does 90% of what I need to see inside the cabin at night. You should have 2 bulbs there...one dim for the ashtray, the map lite thats on a switch.
These door switches are the cheapest all plastic switches I've ever seen and tend to break when used repeatedly, so if they work, be gentle with them. If they don;t work, ....thats why. Cheap switch. I repaired mine. I do not know where to get replacements or if they were ever available. A different type of push button switch (micro-switch or limit switch) would work better if it came down to replacing the switch.

Its just part of the interior lite delay/timer.

While on the subject, I wanted to warn you about something else there...
the door panel lite switch.

The white plastic on the door panel is a switch that turns on the door lite. If thats accidentally turned on, you will probably not notice exiting the car since those lites normally come on when the door opens.
This can drain a battery when parked for several days. To check, just wait until the timer turns out the other inside lites then if a door is still lit, push the switch. Make sure the headlite knob is not turned to "dome" as well. The mirror map lite does 90% of what I need to see inside the cabin at night. You should have 2 bulbs there...one dim for the ashtray, the map lite thats on a switch.
These door switches are the cheapest all plastic switches I've ever seen and tend to break when used repeatedly, so if they work, be gentle with them. If they don;t work, ....thats why. Cheap switch. I repaired mine. I do not know where to get replacements or if they were ever available. A different type of push button switch (micro-switch or limit switch) would work better if it came down to replacing the switch.

thanks Boomdriver....The passenger's door light switch is stuck, for use of a better word; it doesn't move (push in to turn on), so I haven't seen it work yet (another project, another day). The driver's side works fine and I don't use it much. Like you said, I use the map lights before I use the dome lights.

I'm sure some other kind of small push/click switch could be adapted to this application. Its almost embarrassing as to how cheap this little switch is...Once you take it apart and see what I'm talking about, you'll understand!
Once I got both of mine working again, I have'nt used them since...going on 10 yrs now:L

If thats accidentally turned on..........can drain a battery when parked for several days.
They get hot, too, so that can ruin the plastic enclosure. I made an LED replacement for the incandescent bulb using part of the socket and ultra bright LEDs. It runs lots cooler and is bright enough to serve its purpose; just a PITA to make. Also, we'll see just how long these Chinese parts last!

A few years ago, I found an OEM supplier in Long Beach, CA for the switch, I think, but it turned out that I didn't need one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom