Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Can substantial amounts of water get in tne fuel tank this way?

starbuck

Corvette
yellow 1995 coupe
UPDATE: Can substantial amounts of water get in the fuel tank this way?

I am attempting to get my 1995 started after a long time...no joy so far, starter wont do anything.
but...
I was cleaning off the car and lifted the gas filler door and found that the little bay under it was full of water.
the drain had clogged and the water nearly completely covered the top of the locking gas cap.
I am concerned that since the car sat for many months that water may have seeped into the gas tank.
And, quite frankly, I don't recall there being a quarter tank of gas in the tank like the gauge reads.

Is the cap sealed enough to prevent water from seeping down into the tank in appreciable quantities or should I be scared...very scared?

Thanks

UPDATE:
I finally decided to try pulling the fuel pump assembly out. Finally, something to do on a C4 that isn't a total PITA :)
When I got it all out I looked down in the tank...spotless!
I siphoned out about 2 gallons of gas into clean jugs and there was maybe 1 /2 teaspoon of water.
Aside from that the tank was spotless.
Wiped the rest of the gas out with clean rags, cleaned the contacts on the fuel pump and sending units and buttoned it all back up.
One less thing to worry about.
The tougher questions come up next :)
Thanks all

I am attempting to get my 1995 started after a long time...no joy so far, starter wont do anything.
but...
I was cleaning off the car and lifted the gas filler door and found that the little bay under it was full of water.
the drain had clogged and the water nearly completely covered the top of the locking gas cap.
I am concerned that since the car sat for many months that water may have seeped into the gas tank.
And, quite frankly, I don't recall there being a quarter tank of gas in the tank like the gauge reads.

Is the cap sealed enough to prevent water from seeping down into the tank in appreciable quantities or should I be scared...very scared?

Thanks

I wouldn't be scared at all. The fact that the water is still pooled under the filler door means it didn't leak into the tank.

You don't say how long the car was in storage. I agree with Hib about the cap not leaking. However if the car was stored with a nearly empty tank in a very moist invironment then yes you could have water in the tank. With moisture and heat and cold periods the inside of the tank becomes a miny environment that produces humidty. The fact that you believe the tank had less gas then it shows now would indicate you have produced a significant amount of water in the tank. This is why it is recommended that any thing with a gas tank going into storage have a full tank of fuel to lessen this moisture build up. Along witha full tank of gas a storage vehicle should have some stabil in it. That is because gas deteroites with time. In reality the storage vehicle should be started and run until it is fully warmed up several times during the storage period. Now for the good part on a C4 the fuel tank is probably the easiest thing to get into. Remove the filler door and then the rubber around the the filler neck. Now all you have to do is remove the plate on top of the tank and your inside the tank. Now you will be able to determine if there is water in the gas and if so you can remove it and then put it back together and put fresh fuel into the car and try to start it. It may take a little cranking to get good fuel up to the injectors but it should run if everthing else is in working order.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom