Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can you guestimate how fast this 1990 will be?

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
My best friend is build up his 1990 corvette. The car has a six speed and I believe 3.33 gears. However this is what his motor will consist of. The mechanic who is doing everything says what he will have should only get him to low to mid 13's which I find hard to believe. but here is what his engine will be built like.

30 over 350
3.800 cola stroker crank
6.0 inch carillo rods
AFR 220 cc heads
cam not known
block machined for o-rings and splayed 4 bolt mains
8.0 to 1 compression
SLP runners (heavily ported)
TPIS big mouth base (also ported)
Ported stock plenum
58mm TB
42lb injectors
aftermarket ingition system
twin intercooled supercharger (P600B sounds familiar I think thats what he bought) Planned to be run at 12psi
TPIS long tube headers
TPIS 3 inch pre-cay pipe
TPIS 3.5 inch cat-back
flowmaster super44 mufflers

I believe his motor works out to a 394 stroker but not sure on that. Now does this combination sound capable of faster times then low to mid 13's? After all didn't LT-1 stock vettes manage that?

Whats your opinion on this build?

I believe his motor works out to a 394 stroker but not sure on that. Now does this combination sound capable of faster times then low to mid 13's? After all didn't LT-1 stock vettes manage that?

Whats your opinion on this build?

sounds like 400-450+hp motor to me ! :thumb

Maybe more depending on cam size.
A stock Lt-1 does about 13.5's in the quarter with a conservative 300 HP's out of the box.

My buddy does 12.5's -12.7's in a 415 horse 302 mustang with 4:56 gears and a solid rear axle if that helps at all. He also runs slicks.

With as much low end torque as a 400 cube blower motor should make, his issue will be hooking up. If he puts on a set of slicks, he may have more issues than just hooking up though :W.

However, I bet it will lay a set of black marks that would make John Force smile :thumb :thumb :thumb

Let us know how the testing goes !

8.00 to 1 compression ratio ????? The 1990 L98 came with 10.25 to 1 . Why such a low compression ratio?

8.00 to 1 compression ratio ????? The 1990 L98 came with 10.25 to 1 . Why such a low compression ratio?

He has to run a lower compression ratio becuase the motor is supercharged. If he ran the stock compression, at 12psi of boost, the motor would detonate like crazy. :upthumbs

Jason

Ah , I missed the blower part. With pressure I would think that car should easy run in the 12s.

Glenn
:w

This car would be super strong from about 30 mph to say ... 120 MPH.
I would think in that speed range this car would compete with most anything on the road.

Although myself, and just about everyone else, talks about 1/4 mile times, real world performance is a totally different thing.

Although it may " just run mid 12's" I bet from a rolling start down the freeway, Mr Porsche or Mr Lambo would be seeing some tailights till about 120 mph.

Not that I indulge in that sort of thing ;squint:

This car would really shine in third gear on a nice stretch of road. Tell your buddy not to worry too much about 1\4 mile times. It aint all its cracked up to be.

I have driven some 13 second cars that would make a test pilot soil his pants. :rotfl

drive it. take some pictures to show off when you get older. :thumb

He was also wondering if the transmission is strong enough to handle this combination. I've driven his car for about 2 weeks and his trans seem perfectly normal with no weird noises its at about 120k miles currently. He also has concerns of the differential and half shafts. Could the rear end stuff be replaced with ZR-1 parts with no modifications or were they the same since his car is a 6 speed?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom