Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what rpm's can this stroker turn

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
My best friend talked to his engine builder last night. So far his short block is complete. However he goes on to say this stroker will turn and make power to 8,000 rpm ...... I basically told him his engine builder has some much better drugs then anyone has ever seen or tried. But you be the judge. Here is the basics of this stroker it is I believe a 396 smallblock

block 30 over L-98
rods carillo 6 inch
crank cola 3.80
caps 4 bolt splayed
approx 8.0 to 1 compression
heads afr 215cc
cam unknown
TPIS base manifold
slp runners
58mm TB
PB600 twin intercooled ati procharger
tpis 1 3/4 headers
tpis 3 inch cat back

Now keep in mind this engine guy say this motor will pull this rpm and make power till then even though it will be using TPI.

I told my friend I dont even think a miniram would make power way up there .............

so will this engine make power up to 8k rpm and live as well?

I agree. His engine builder does psychodelics for sure.

But you never know...those "Unknown Cams" are capable of some amazing performance. My understanding is they are laser cut on unobtanium castings.

Thats what I thought. My best friend is a industrial welder so I told him take some of his 1 inch thick steel and build a scatter shield for the motor itself.

I also forgot to mention this PB600 is going to be try and run at 15PSI ..... I know this cola crank is the same found in chevy's ZZ-383 so it should be strong enough. But even if his TPI stuff were punched out to paper thin walls I still wouldn't think it could support more the 6,500rpm. At even 6.500rpm I would think that is borderline for this long stroke engine. It is my understanding to make this all work in the L-98 block alot of area's had to be clearanced.

I basically told my friend accept it for what it will be. a vvery strong motor to about 5,500 rpm after that TPI will flatline. I figure the after market TPI parts should extend his breathing a good 600rpm above stock TPI.

Another thing his engine guy is saying, drop 4.11 gears in this corvette. the car is a 1990 6 speed by the way. I believe stock he has the perf. gear ratio 3.33 or something like that. I told my friend 4.11 would be rediculous and what he is building is a torque monster and gearing won't be needed.

It is a california car which is why it's being built this way.

IMO, I don't know about 8k but depending on cam I think power can be made past 7k. However, aside from the cam needing to be a good sized solid roller (and good cylinder head flow numbers past .600) your friend will need to put some serious $$$ in the rest of the valve train components (shaft rockers, springs etc.etc.) to support higher rpm which will become a real issue. The TPI would have to go, a modded single plane intake may work for that rpm, if not, a good sheet metal inatake (P. Mercelli makes some real nice pieces, or Hogan) would support that type of rpm/set-up. All of this would make the motor work but I have NO idea how he would get it smogged/street legal or in any way be complient for left coast laws....unless obviously it becomes a dedicated track car.
I have 4.10's in mine and they work fine, but I use a 28x10 dr. (as do most others m6 or a4) I used a sim. to determine 1320, including, max rpm, tire height etc. This is based on my combo (396ci) and puts me through the traps at around 6300 using a 700r trans.

The 15 psi will change what the intake will do by a bunch. I don't think 8500 rpm but it might make it work to 7500 rpm.
It would be interesting to see flow bench results on that intake setup with 15 psi on it.;shrug
I agree with you on the 4.11 gears, he won't be able to get out of first quick enough. 3.54 maybe would work.I also question how long the 6 speed will take the abuse.

Glenn

I was wrong about the heads they are in fact 195cc heads. apparently the only thing thats going to be done to his tpi parts is port matching thats it.

The engine guy also says he will dyno it with TPI which I don't see how he will pull that off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom