Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Car Care

Dolce

Corvette
2006 Machine Metallic Silver Convertible
I have been using Zaino on my C6 convertible paint, tires and leather and it does a great job.
Does anyone have any suggestions for protecting the rag top?
Also, I was in the automotive section at Walmart Sunday and saw some nice orbital buffing machines, does anyone use one of these as part of the detail ritual of your corvette??????
I have heard horror stories in the past of people burning the paint, is this still a concern with the new machines???
thanks,
Mike

Nice 'vert, Dolce! I've also heard both sides of the orbital buffer issue. Since I use Zaino and it applies and polishes up pretty sweet, I've not felt the need for one to be honest.

As for the best top product, I think 6 Shooter (Dwayne) had a thread sometime back in which he suggested a product he liked. If he doesn't chime in here shortly, you may want to send him a PM asking about his experience.

You could also check with the Care and Detailing Moderator, GS Diva. I would bet she's had a great deal of experience in that area with her 3 Corvette convertibles.

If you'd like me to move this thread to the Care and Detailing forum, that may even garner more responses and experiences. Just let me know. :thumb

:wJane Ann

Hi,

I'm going to move this to the Care & Detailing section as I think you'll get more exposure there.

As far as ragtop protection, RaggTop makes great products, both for vinyl and fabric tops. They have a cleaner and a protectant. That's what I use for my two convertibles, and I have one that in vinyl and one that is black fabric.

You don't have to worry about burning paint with a random orbital buffer. The professional buffers are the ones you want to stay away from! The orbital buffers do a good job for us amateurs though I'm not sure that Zaino requires one.

Very nice Corvette, by the way!!

Elaine

Jane Ann,

Thanks for the post and for offering to move the thread. Yes, the Zaino does a great job and the car shines beautifully, however, I guess I feel guilty because I am used to the old waxes in the old days where you spend hours rubbing and have sore arms for two days.

Great photos.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Elaine,
I could only imagine looking in the garage and seeing two vettes. Both Convertibles, Wow....
I will check out the RaggTop product.
Thanks for your reply.
Take care,
Mike

Mike, I don't know which buffers you are referring to, but I will say that the new 'random orbit' buffers are extremely safe on the paints (ie Porter-Cable 7424). You would almost have to be trying to burn the paint with one of these. They run at fairly low speeds (up to about 6000 orbits/minute) and are not like the old high speed buffers that many professionals use. I have a P-C and love it, don't worry in the least about using it on my Pickup, the wife's Bonneville or the Corvette. I use Adams products with it; Swirl and Haze Remover, Fine Machine Polish and Machine Superwax. Here is a thread that includes a video featuring one of CAC's members (Junkman2008) talking about this very thing.

Can You Damage Your Paint with the PC-7424XP? - Adam's Polishes Forums

Jane Ann,

Thanks for the post and for offering to move the thread. Yes, the Zaino does a great job and the car shines beautifully, however, I guess I feel guilty because I am used to the old waxes in the old days where you spend hours rubbing and have sore arms for two days.

Great photos.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Reminds me of myself, Turtle Wax and a '66 VW Bug. :L

Anytime, Mike! We'll look forward to more pix after you get her shined and the weather co-operates.

:wJane Ann

Thanks, great videos, very reassuring. I will definitely check out that unit. Earlier this year I used a clay bar on the vette for the frst time ever, I was scared to death. I read some threads on detailing the car but still could not believe that this was good.
Seeing is believing.......
thanks again,
Mike

Hi,

I'm going to move this to the Care & Detailing section as I think you'll get more exposure there.

As far as ragtop protection, RaggTop makes great products, both for vinyl and fabric tops. They have a cleaner and a protectant. That's what I use for my two convertibles, and I have one that in vinyl and one that is black fabric.

You don't have to worry about burning paint with a random orbital buffer. The professional buffers are the ones you want to stay away from! The orbital buffers do a good job for us amateurs though I'm not sure that Zaino requires one.

Very nice Corvette, by the way!!

Elaine
Elaine,
I used the RagTop product yesterday and it worked great. Looks great and easy to use. thanks again,
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom