Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car cranks but doesnt start

GRUMPYVETTE,
Nice job on the "L98 start sequence" I have actually saved it in my "Vette Library"
that is an excellent write up.

Thank you,
Tom

Its not VATS. If the vats doesn't read the key it will do two things. First it wont give signal to the fuel injectors and second it wont enable the starter relay to close, meaning it wont crank. When my key was bad it did crank because the starter relay was bypassed, but there was no fuel. It still had spark thou.

Put the distributer back in and finally the car started. I feel like a ton has been lifted off my shoulders. I have learned so much about fuel injection and ignition systems since i got the vette, not sure thats a good thing or not. I have never had to change a pickup coil or had even heard of one before this and i have had a few 200000+ mileage vehicals. Thank you guys for all the info and wisdom, if it wasnt for this site my car wouldnt be on the road what little it is.

I got to enjoy my car for about a week before it messed up agian. This time when i tried to start it nothing happened. All the gauges and lights came on no fuses were blown, the car just would not turn over or do anything. I called my buddy up to help me tow it home. When i turned the key to put it in neutral the car started. So in anger i drove it straight to a car dealer and traded it in on a 2005 impala ss. Between the craking fiberglass and leaking water at every seal it could possibly leak at i just couldnt take countinous engine and electrical problems on top of all that, plus its getting cold around here and the blower motor quit too. I have had this car since i was 18 and it sucks that i had to get rid of it this way. I hope to return to vette ownership one day, maybe i can afford a c6 by then. The only good part of this story is that the impala is close to my old car off the line and would probally take it on the top end. Thanks again to all the help i got from you guys and this site over the past 5 years, if was not for you the vette would have broke me a lot sooner.

I got to enjoy my car for about a week before it messed up agian. This time when i tried to start it nothing happened. All the gauges and lights came on no fuses were blown, the car just would not turn over or do anything. I called my buddy up to help me tow it home. When i turned the key to put it in neutral the car started. So in anger i drove it straight to a car dealer and traded it in on a 2005 impala ss. Between the craking fiberglass and leaking water at every seal it could possibly leak at i just couldnt take countinous engine and electrical problems on top of all that, plus its getting cold around here and the blower motor quit too. I have had this car since i was 18 and it sucks that i had to get rid of it this way. I hope to return to vette ownership one day, maybe i can afford a c6 by then. The only good part of this story is that the impala is close to my old car off the line and would probally take it on the top end. Thanks again to all the help i got from you guys and this site over the past 5 years, if was not for you the vette would have broke me a lot sooner.

D, sorry to hear, we'll miss you on the forum! good luck with your new SS.
Tom

My first thought is distributor module. You need to check if you have voltage to it.

Glenn

:w

Are you referring to the ignition module? If so, I was having a similar problem, start, then no start. I replaced the ignition module and the cars been fine for 3 years. Don't forget to apply the grease that comes along with the ignition module or it will burn out, fast.

Have a 1991 L98 with 21K miles just purchased, guy told me had injectors replaced. Car was running rough then gradually got worse now Im experiencing this no start condition,, have gone through and replaced, fuel pump, egr, MAP sensor, cap, rotor, igintion module, coil. Car seems like it wants to start, throwing no codes, check by grounding diagnostic info module under steering wheel. Sprayed some gas down plenum, car seem like it wants to start but wont keep running, think it fuel nrelated, but maybe low oil wont allow ECM to deliver fuel? how do check for the anit theft system now allowing car to start? if Does that mean car wont turn over or just want allow to start? with original key will it just activate agian on its own? sorry for all the qquestions,,really need help,, thank you

Welcome to the boards.

You may need to invest in a fuel pressure gauge. I would start by doing this first. You have replaced a lot of parts, but now need to verify everythings operation.

Are you familiar how to check fuel pressure? Do a search, then post questions back.

Check this link out as well: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/howto/idx.php/0/016/article/

Have a 1991 L98 with 21K miles just purchased, guy told me had injectors replaced. Car was running rough then gradually got worse now Im experiencing this no start condition,, have gone through and replaced, fuel pump, egr, MAP sensor, cap, rotor, igintion module, coil. Car seems like it wants to start, throwing no codes, check by grounding diagnostic info module under steering wheel. Sprayed some gas down plenum, car seem like it wants to start but wont keep running, think it fuel nrelated, but maybe low oil wont allow ECM to deliver fuel? how do check for the anit theft system now allowing car to start? if Does that mean car wont turn over or just want allow to start? with original key will it just activate agian on its own? sorry for all the qquestions,,really need help,, thank you

The guy TOLD you new injectors? For starters (no pun intended), forget that. Words mean nothing.

Can you take all those new parts back still, since they don't work? Try it, since there's nothing to lose, and see if you can swap for a pressure guage. Also get a camera, and start snappin' pics, cause the work you have to do (with pics) will increase the value of the car, UNlike 'words'.

Forget VATS. If the starter spins the motor, it ain't a VATS gig nope.
Not VATS, jugs...

So, here's what we got:
Air, fuel, fire.
Air - filter ok?
Fuel. You HAVE TO do fuel pressure tests. Do a static test (motor not running). Plug in the gauge, turn the key to 'ON', and IMMEDIATELY note (write down) the fuel pressure. Note pressure again in 10 second intervals (or 15, or 30), till it goes to 0psi. See youtube for a GENERAL reference of fuel pressure testing, but do it EXACTLY as I say, not like in any video. If you don't do fuel pressure tests, there's no reason to do anything, except buy more parts blindly, employing the ol' FULLY AUTOMATIC ASSAULT WALLET repair techinque
th_badass.gif
aug.gif
2guns.gif
th_gatlinggun.gif
- buy stuff and hope you fix it (which NEVER WORKS)
Fire - Plugs, wires, and static timing. Do you know how to do static timing?

I had to have it towed to a vette repair shop. they replaced the vats and then it was good. ecklers and other vette warehouses have vats bypass equipment for $20-30. Thats what I would suggest.
Good luck

Check this out

First Welcome to the :CAC:CAC:CAC

Search this site for information on the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). There is some good information on how it works and may give you a new approach to your problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom