Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car stalls in gear

tntcorvette

my car stalls when i put it in gear. Anyone have any idea whats going on? I have a new or newer cap, rotor, module, wires, new spark plugs, coil, module, and coil button. Fuel pressure is 37.5 at idle and the car throws no codes. It starts right up and runs smoothly but the car stalls out when I put it in drive or reverse. FWIW about a month ago the car stopped on me about 1/2 a block awayform home and the only part in my ignition that I did not replace after my msd 6a self destructed was the coil. So I got a new one in and same thing. Car stalls in gear. And the tps is .575 and minimun idle is set to 700 rpms with the chip at 850.

Can somebody help me???????????????????????????

i am not real sure but isn't 37.5 fuel a little low? i have seen guys say over 40 for fuel pressure? see what the pressure drops to whe you put it in gear?? maybe time for fuel filter just to see if it dose anything?

tigmaned said:
i am not real sure but isn't 37.5 fuel a little low? i have seen guys say over 40 for fuel pressure? see what the pressure drops to whe you put it in gear?? maybe time for fuel filter just to see if it dose anything?

Mine is at 41 lbs, with the vacuum line disconnected, at idle

my fuel pressure with the vacume line off is 42 psi and with the line on at idle 37.5. Believe me there is plenty of fuel available. The car war running fine until recently.

The torque converter is loose so im not worried about it. I've been running the torque converter for quite some time and no problem.

new cat converters too. For those who think its the torque converter it is not! I've run this torque converter w/o a problem for the last 5 years w/o a problem.

oh yeah, I took the battery to auto zone to have it checked out and its fine.

Is it pulling down the motor until it dies or is it dying like you turned it off?

It seems the convertor would pull it down if it were the problem. But I can't see the convertor doing this since it should be plenty loose after 5 years.

Isn't there an electronic device that raises idle when you move it into gear? Seems I've seen that somewhere. Perhaps I'm wrong on that, maybe the ECM does this.

I'd really like to know the condition of death. :confused

well i've checked every wire I can, checked the iac valve and it is 1 1/8" long from the base to the tip. I also put a few drops of gas into the throttle body iac opening and started the car. It held idle in gear for about 15 seconds, then died out.

I am going to put in my other 7730 ecm when I get a chance. If its not the computer then im going to drink myself to sleep and magically hope the problem fixes itself.

Seriously if its not the computer then I dont know what. I just changed the fuel filter about 6 months ago and besides fuel pressure is holding nice and steady.

Somebody help!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, I have no MAF sensor. I converted to speed density about 4 years ago.

for the heck of it I changed the fuel filter and the same thing happenes. Im going to replace the computer and if that does not work then I give up.

Are you sure the converter is unlocking ? Can you get it going down the street and come to a stop and see if it kills?

G Winter said:
Are you sure the converter is unlocking ? Can you get it going down the street and come to a stop and see if it kills?

I dont see why it would not be unlocking.

Hey tnt,

I had a similar experience with my mother's Pontiac Grand Am. After driving for several miles (around 25), the car started shuddering when I came to stop at an intersection, and died. It was like coming to a stop w/o disengaging the clutch in a manual trannie. It would start fine in neutral, but would immediately die when I put it in gear. It turned out to be a "lock-out" or "lock-up" solenoid in the transmission that would malfunction when the car was warm. It would work fine when it was cold.

I don't know if the C4 transmission has a similar system...it is GM. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Paul

how can I test to see if the torque converter is not unlocking when i put the car in drive?

well I think I have narrowed down the problem. I now have the car resting on jack stands and I started the car, let it warm up for a minute as usual and put the car into drive. What do you know? It did not stall. Put it into reverse and it did not stall. No stall with my foot on the brake or with my foot off the brake. But with my foot on the brake the wheels never truly stopped spinning (they would rotate slowly) so I would put the car in neutral, stop the wheels from rotating and then put the car into the opposite gear.

I think the problem is either in the computer (which I have not replaced yet...still looking for my spare 7730) or the transmission and its associated components.

BTW, the car stops on a dime in real life. No soggy brake pedal either. I have a new/newer master cylinder and brake booster too.

not yet, but I think its either the computer, transmission, or one of the transmission electrical components.

I wont be able to get the spare computer til wednesday at the latest.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom