Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Car starts but would not run, weird

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
This was very strange and although the car is now fine I'm worried it will happen again, dealer could offer no explanation.

Car is an 01 coupe with a manual transmission and 110k miles on it. I had driven the car back and forth to work and it presented with no issues. Then I went out to grab something later that night and when I started the car the engine started fine but the dashboard did not react (ie, tach didn't move, no gauges registered, etc). The the car shuts off on its own giving me the reduced power message and then service engine soon.. Now I turn off the key, wait and try it again, same results. Also, after turning the car completely off, the car will not react to anything. Panel lights are on but will not shut off, car does not respond to opening the door or they key fob, like the computer is frozen. Headlights do respond though and do not appear dim. I try once more and realize that after the car shuts off on its own, then some of the assoecories come on and some but not all guages react. Battery reads 11.8 volts but I don't trust it since only some of the guages are reading anything. I turn the car completely off and then pop hood to check battery connections, connections are nice and tight. I realize I will need a flat bed tow but it's late and no service station is open so I wait until morning. Next morning the panel lights are still on so I figure the battery will be or is dead by the time the tow gets there. I finally get it flat beded to the dealer by lunch and of course now the battery is dead so the car will not even start. Dealer says to leave it and they will check it out.

Dealer calls next day and says they recharged the battery and found a battery draw, the lamp on the passenger sun visor was staying on. He says I can disconnect it or replace it. Replacing it is something like $350 so I tell him to just disconnect it but he says now the car runs fine and they can't duplicate the problem. I picked up the car just at closing so I haven't gotten a chance to talk to the guy yet but they did not disconnect the visor lamp after all. Instead stuck a pad in there where the sensor touches the panel (my guess is the lid wasn't pushing down enough on the sensor for some reason). Will call the dealer on Monday to get the full story but any guesses?

I know this was a lot of info but I wanted to include all the details and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Hey, Ryan,
When did you get a replacement? Or is this the same Vette you had in your Academy days? :)

My first question: did you pull any codes? Clearly, this was an electrical drain, but I'm not completely sold on the notion that it was just the passenger vanity mirror light not shutting off. I'm wondering if there might be another issue at play here.

-Patrick

This was very strange and although the car is now fine I'm worried it will happen again, dealer could offer no explanation. ts.

I had a similiar thing happen to me after I had my steering lock repaired per the service bulletin.

Are you getting any DIC readings after putting your key in the ignition that reads "Pull key, wait 10 secs"? I was told that it could be a low charged battery that causes this particular problem and members of CAC were correct in the diagnosis so after troubleshooting and finding now noticeable electrical draws I replaced the battery. No problems now.

Patrick, this is the same one. I was gonna upgrade but right now I'm looking at getting out of active duty and going to school for my masters so I figured I could use the extra cash once I become a poor starving college student again. Unfortunately when the battery went dead, all the codes were erased and I tried to pull codes when it first happened, but with the computer frozen, I wasn't able to do the code trick with the DIC.

bwing, I thought of that too. There was no wait 10 sec message but the way the engine shut off soon after starting made me think that the fuel was being shut off and the message was just not being relayed to me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom