Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carb problems

B

BobbyBJr

Hello all,
I haven't been following these forums much lately, but I have a problem I'd like to get some opinions on. I don't have much time, or money either for that matter, to spend on the 75 Vette we have, but I have decided to do something about the Q-jet it has on it. I have played with it off and on for the last year and have decided to replace it or get it repaired. I moved the car up to the garage this evening so I can work on it some. I am tired of having to play with the carb everytime we try to drive the car. I also have some seat belts that I need to put in and I think I have a bearing problem in the rear drivers side that I need to take a look at. Anyway, while I have the car torn down I am thinking about sending the carb to the Carb Shop in CA to be rebuilt. Has anyone dealt with them lately? I contacted them by email a few months ago and they responded and were helpful. Anyway, what would you all do? Send the carb for repairs or junk it and get something else? Any opinions will be appreciated.

thanks,
Bobby

Bobby, good to hear you are getting back in the swing again.

Carbs have been the source of much debate here in the past. There are many threads that beat the subject to death. I can summarize for you.

A Q jet rebuilt properly will deliver solid dependable performance. They are not much to look at, and can get confusing to the average Joe, but work very well for the intended application.

Edelbrock makes a nice carb based upon the old Carter AFB design. It looks cool, and you can get a nice tuning kit to tweak it in. Many people end up unhappy with them because they either go for more CFM than they need, or never take the time to get them 100% dialed in.

Holley has been making a great unit for years, and it is now updated for the new millenium with the cousin Demon carbs. These are nice units, very simple, and trick looking. However with any of these carbs you will have to replace the air cleaner assembly, throttle linkage, etc. to get them to fit, adding to the time and expense of getting the job done right.

If you have a basically stock engine, and want hassle free driving, my vote is on the rebuild option. I don't have any experience with the shop you are talking about, but I am sure that is a step in the right direction to getting it done correctly.

Check with the local autoparts chains as well. They may have over the counter replacement carbs on an exchange basis that will save you some time.

My Q jet

Was a Holley rebuild ( yes a Q jet in a holley box..kinda funny) It was $165.00 plus a 30.00 ish core ( I kept my old one)
It had MOST of the stuff needed to hook it up, and what the kit didn't have the orig carb did.

It was epoxied in all the right places ( a normal fix for Q jets) the throttle plates were all rebushed and new hardware. All & all a better job that I could have done @ home and quicker than the local carb shop which is VERY good. The price was 20 bucks more than my local carb shop.

I bought mine thru Kragen ( the best deal )

And I'm very happy with it.

Mike

The Bearing

IF you do not have precision measuring devices and a BIG press do not attempt to do the bearing yourself... get a hub & bearing assy.. In the long haul it's better & easier.

Do em both @ the same time and do the stainless steel emergency brakes while your down there... My retractor spring snapped and the worst time, which left my Driver side
E brake latched ON.. Whadda PAIN!!!!!

Mike

Unless your are after originality I wouldn`t bother fixing a 25 year old carb when you can get a brand new Edelbrock,Carter or Holley for a couple hundred dollars.

The one I bought was out of the box and running in a couple of hours with a few simple hand tools and has never missed a beat since I fitted it. OK a bit more expensive than getting yours refurbed or buying an already reconditioned carb but imho worth the extra if you have it.

J.

Sometimes chasing down a carb problem can be a nightmare no matter the make. Getting it rebuilt is cost efficient and hassle free most of the time, if the shop tunes it specifically to your car. There's a place called BIGS that one forum member had great success with. I don't know their number, but they often sell carbs on Ebay. They take everything into consideration like rear gear, transmission, car weight, etc., etc.

Like Mike mentioned, getting the proper tools for rear bearing set-up is essential. The problem is that they usually cost so much brand new, that you might as well have it rebuilt by someone who is familiar with the job. It can be done, but that's your decision on whether your comfortable doing it yourself. You got to be safe, also. Good luck, Bobby!

--Bullitt

You should also check into Jet Performance. They have a Stage 1,2 & 3 rebuild for the Q-jet. I have not used their service, but have heard good things about them. I plan to send them a later model Q-jet with electric choke that I got from a friend. They will do a Stage 2 rebuild (street/strip) for around $250. I know you can buy another carb for just a bit more, but I have had it with trying to get them to run as strong as the Q-jet. After numerous tries with Holley and Edelbrock, I keep going back to the Q-jet. Its not that Holley or Edelbrock dont make great stuff. I just have not found one that I really like the performance better than the Q-jet. Holley's chew up gas milage (mainly because I only have double-pumpers) and the Edelbrocks just dont perform as well. I tried a 650 cfm Edelbrock on my '73. One I took off my '72 Cheyenne (which it works great on). It ran like crap on the Vette. I dont know what the difference was, but I never got it running as well as the Q-jet. Jet Performance has a web site, and they are great people to talk to. Check them out at http://www.jetchip.com/ - Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom