Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carb Question

Whiteshadow89158

Corvette
1981 dark purple coupe
Hey everyone, i'm finally back in mass so i'm trying to pump out some work on the car and first things first is the carb. The one on there now is a holly the the P.O. put on to go to the basic fuel sytem, i want to take it off and re-connect the comp. My buddy gave me an extra rochester Q-jet so i was trying to tinker around with it to see if it would fit and connect right up. I shortly discoverd the electric plug was too big for it and so i put a halt on the installation. The carb # is 17085290, can someone please tell me what car this came out of? Thanks

Yeah its looking like a 1985-1986 chevrolet/gmc truck carb for a 350 engine.

ya i was browsen through google and found out it was for a truck. Didnt realize i could find out so easy but then again you can find anything on the net :bash

Correct one is 17081218 auto and 17081217 manual.

How did you pass smog in Ca with non correct carb?

Any engine mods, like heads, cam, exhaust?

I have an OEM equipped 81 and want too know what I can improve and still pass smog equip and tailpipe gases.

Correct one is 17081218 auto and 17081217 manual.

How did you pass smog in Ca with non correct carb?

Any engine mods, like heads, cam, exhaust?

I have an OEM equipped 81 and want too know what I can improve and still pass smog equip and tailpipe gases.

The car is currently at my house in MA so emissions wasn't to much of an issue for me. I want to bring the car out to Ca so i can turn it into my new daily so i've done some research on performance parts and i found out that your not too limited to what you can use. Company's send rep's to the air emissions people to demonstrate that there product is actually cleaner than stock parts and if they approve of the product then the product gets C.A.R.B. approved. You have to make sure that the product is CA legal, you get a sticker with the product that you HAVE to have under your hood so when you bring it to get inspected the mechanic can scan each sticker and verify that everything is legal and pass the visual inspection. With these upgrades you shouldnt have to much trouble installing a cam and passing the smog. test. I'm not possitive if you have to call the company and request the sticker so i would just incase. Best of luck

what a pita. this is the reason why i refuse to live in CA

ya it's a great place but the only way your gunna have fun with your car is if its a track car or if you got the money to buy a supercar. lame. The emissions exempt law is still at 75' lol.

ya it's a great place but the only way your gunna have fun with your car is if its a track car or if you got the money to buy a supercar. lame. The emissions exempt law is still at 75' lol.
CA SMOG exempt law became history in late 2005, Gov Arnold did away with the 25 yrs old rule to qual for exemption. Bottom line is if your car was already expempt it stayed, no new exemptions would be granted period, my 81 missed exemption by a few months, so since this isn't horseshoes, close doesn't count.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom