Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CARFAX Jus how good are they

Joe8915

Corvette
1990 Blue Steel
CARFAX Just how good are they?

Some one was kind enough to do a CARFAX for me. I was under the impression, if you run the VN number, it will bring up everything about the car, owners, wrecks, etc. I found out only if it is reported to CARFAX or DMV.

Does anyone know of a place where you can run the VN number and find out the total history of the car?

A single source for the history of your car (service+prior owners+etc.) does not exist; at least it's not available to the public.

If the car was serviced exclusively at a dealer, any GM service writer can look up service history for you.

I have used CARFAX to check on used Corvettes. CARFAX has provided useful information such as the car has a salvage title, a lemon law return, mileage rollback, or been involved in a major accident.

On the negative side I entered the VIN from a car that my wife totaled in an accident and nothing was mentioned. Since this car was salvaged by the insurance company I would have expected the report to show the car having a salvage title.

I have used CARFAX to check on used Corvettes. CARFAX has provided useful information such as the car has a salvage title, a lemon law return, mileage rollback, or been involved in a major accident.

On the negative side I entered the VIN from a car that my wife totaled in an accident and nothing was mentioned. Since this car was salvaged by the insurance company I would have expected the report to show the car having a salvage title.

Was the car fixed and then put back on the road? Maybe they don't report/ get the info until the vehicle is registered again? If it was actually "salvaged", you know taken to a re-cycler and parted out, it would never be registered and then not show up. I am just guessing on this, but it makes sense.

Was the car fixed and then put back on the road? Maybe they don't report/ get the info until the vehicle is registered again? If it was actually "salvaged", you know taken to a re-cycler and parted out, it would never be registered and then not show up. I am just guessing on this, but it makes sense.
If a Insurance co Payed OUT,It should be there,Regardless if it was Parted or Repaired!! But I've found out sometimes there Not!!!!;shrug The Hard Way!!!!!:upthumbs

If a Insurance co Payed OUT,It should be there,Regardless if it was Parted or Repaired!! But I've found out sometimes there Not!!!!;shrug The Hard Way!!!!!:upthumbs

I stand corrected, I guess my "making sense" doesn't make sense.;LOL

Carfax does have a feature where they will send an inspector to examine any car you're interested in. It costs $99. I did it for my sons car. Just a little extra insurance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom