Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Carpet Install

u2bdet

Corvette
Hi Guys , the saga continues ...thanks for the replies on how to get the seat cushions into the shells , wasnt easy ...hell of a workout . well any ways . ONE of my rear wheel well humps (gettting ready to install carpet),has this ceramicie /clay like paper/plastic shell over it , the other is bare , what is this ?Is it supposed to be on both humps ?? Do I need it ??

Thanks
Neal

Mine had it on both, some sort old sound absorber or carpet underlayment?

Greetings Peter

Mine had it on both, some sort old sound absorber or carpet underlayment?

Greetings Peter
Mine had it as well!!!!

What should I replace it with ? It's kind of hard like a clay , should I remove it and cover both humps with insulation / dynamat or a fiber pad . I havent fitted the rear carpet section yet ,but if it is supposed to be there then i'm going to guess that the carpet manufacturers take it into consideration ,and i'm going to need to fill up the space ..
Thanks guys
Neal

:w there,

Sometimes I can be really DENSE!!

I am having trouble visualizing what you are describing, "kind of hard like a clay" type substance over the top of one rear wheel well...

I've done 3 carpets, one in my own 81 and 2 in other friends 1981's and I do not remember anything under the original carpet except the 1/2" or so insulation/sound elimination material ;shrug directly under this material was the fiberglass floor board or inner fender.

Look up under the wheel well of the one that has the clay like substance on the inside, you might find that was a repair of some kind ;shrug

Just when I think I know about everything there is to know about our 1981's :chuckle I learn something new :D :w

I used the aluminum two sided bubble insulation I bought at Lowes did the entire floor before installing the new carpets ;)

Good luck and from experience, I KNOW your 1981 just love's all this attention and quality time you two are spending together :dance

carpet01.jpg

Bud

I put in some carpet underlayment (insulation) about 1 inch thickness.

Greetings Peter

Is this what you used? Bud
716511516014xl.jpg

I'm thinking about doing carpet in mine. I know it's not a C3 but If it's good enough for you it should work just fine in mine.

:w ßill

You still have the ZR1 running :chuckle :w I admire your stamina and mechanical ability that BLACK ROCKET should be very glad it landed in your capable hands :thumb

Yep that be the stuff :thumb

It dawned my why you have a BLACK ZR1 weren't those Polaris air bubbles all BLACK too :D

Bud

Tire Hump

Took a quick picture of the well ...no damage under it and it looks kinda factory ...any ideas??

wheel.jpg

I can neither confirm nor deny. :D
Thanks for the complements

I don't know what that would be...

I know what I would do ;)

I would leave the "kind of hard like a clay" stuff there and when you have your carpet ready I would lay it in over the entire back end and see how it fit. Then try it with the new insulation, if it looked good, then :thumb

If it don't I'd cross that bridge if it seemed not right ;)

Bud

I think the clay like stuff is the original sound deadener. My 82 had the same on the passenger side. The driver side had a thick black tar paper like covering that I would also guess was original. No idea why they would be different but I left them that way.

My replacement carpet fit pretty loose over the the wheel wells. I added padding on top of the sound deadener in select areas to get the carpet to lay in a smooth arc over the wheel. For padding I bought Mid America's box of sound deadener. This is an inexpensive box stuffed full of various sized pieces of foil-backed padding.

I put a dynamat like thin rubber pad on the floor of the cargo area and up the back wall. I then topped the floor off with another piece of foil-back padding from the box. I also used the rubber and foil-back combo on the floor pans and trans tunnel. This makes a big difference in cabin noise and heat.

Whew , at least I'm not alone , so it probably was factory , guess I will seal it up and work around it with new insulation ..
Thanks to all ...
Neal

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM has five or six pages dealing with the installation of the factory sound deadener. In a nutshell, it was sprayed pretty much everywhere, inside and out.

The AIM also shows installation of the carpets.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom