Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carter Carburetor

O Vette

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe, 1977 Yellow T-Top
Can someone tell me if Carter Carbs came as stock equipment on some 1977 Vettes? I know GM licensed Carter to produce some carbs for them but, I don't know if that was true for 1977.

Not on 77

I think that 1977 did not have Carter Carbs, for memory the last year for Carter
was approx 1965 -or 66,and 1977 should have Rochester q-jet from nos
17057202 .

The "Black Book" shows only Rochester carbs on the '77.

Carter built 'clones' of the Rochester Qjet under contract to GM for many years during the C3 era. They carried the same part number, but had a different date coding system and had the word 'Carter' cast into the body. The date was a letter for the month, 'A' for 'January', and a single digit for the year- 7 for 1977. I'd say that if you've found one that fits with the foregoing, it might be the original.

Thanks for the replies. The card has these numbers. 1705 7204. I don't know what the 170 stands for but, I think, the 5 means years 76-79, the 7 for 1977, 2 for 4 barrel, 0 for GM/Chevy and 4 for Auto Trans.

It also has the number 1727 AYN. I think, the 172 means it was built on the 172 day which would be June 21, 7 for 1977. Don't know what the AYN stands for unless it is just the model name. I think this carb might be original. The carb does say built by Carter under license from GM. Thanks again.

Refering to the Black Book again, I see the Rochester Carb number of 17057204 as being the carb for the 180 HP engine with Auto Trans and Air conditioning.

Carter built Q-Jets for Rochester under license for the duration. Most Carter-built carbs will have an embossment stating "Mfg by Carter for Rochester". A carb will be "correct" whether built by Rochester or Carter if the carb number is correct. In the part number, the "70" and the "170" prefix is the prefix designator for Rochester. Carter-built carbs will often not have the "70" or the "170" Rochester ID in the part number, but I have seen Carter carbs with the Rochester ID.

Carb number 17057204 is a Q-Jet off of a 1977 350 Chevelle or Corvette with auto trans and air conditioning. It is the correct carb for that application regardless of whether it was built by Carter or Rochester.

Lars

Thanks again. I now feel pretty confident that this is the original carb that came with the car - a Rochester Q-jet that was built by Carter, as stated on the carb body. I apprciate the knowledge you guys have and are willing to share.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom